LegacyGT.com

$340 XO2 Racing FMIC install pictures(56k beware)

itsme

do a search on ebay for "05 subaru legacy front mount intercooler" and it will come up with a few results. Just get it from one of those places. Easy enough

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=05+subaru+legacy+front+mount+intercooler&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I almost wanna flame, but I'll resist...

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol I would have just reposted the whole go to ebay and type this...and let the guy do his own figuring.. I'd suggest you pay someone to put that FMIC on for you Jordan.. if you can't do an ebay search even when we are telling you what to type... you might not be able to figure out the How-To FMIC install..

Alright found it sorry for hurting your feelings by mistakingly searching differentley than what was posted... So what is the quality of this piece, does it retain boost pressure effieceintley whats the deal why is it so much cheaper than anything else?

well so far the quality looks good to me.. I got mine last week and have painted it black.. you will need to mount a flange for a BOV which is a reason for why it is cheaper than others.. basically this kit was made by a fellow LGT.com member and Xo2 bought all the same things he did and is now selling it as a cheaper alternative to big name brands that charge over double. you lose your foglights.. have to shave some off your bumper beam and the fitment can be less or sometime more smooth than the more expencive brands of FMIC.. there are a lot of people buying this FMIC and I don't think there were any functional issues as far as leaks or anything. but be aware that you get what you pay for and I have heard that the Xo2 CBE was ugly..

Do what do you need a bov flange for? What if you are just running an external waste gate. Wouldnt that flange be unused on some peoples cars anyway. I dont care about the foglights or trimming the bumper I just want to know if the thing holds boost like some of the higher priced ones, do the endtanks create turbulence whats the deal on the pressure drop? If the only issue is fittment and bov flange im ordering the thing immediatley.

ive had mine for a little over 3 weeks now. quality wise you get what you pay for...theres no flange for your bpv so youll will need to buy one from WBR or fabricate one yourself.

The pipes are alluminum like many brands and the intercooler is a bar and plate design which is quite efficient. The silcone couplers are only 3ply and not 4 which is a negative. I know someone on this board is using this kit with a rotated setup(obviously pipes have been made to compensate) so this kits is holding up well for alot of people

Its a tight fit for sure but from the looks of it just about every other kit is. 289.5whp/345wtq at 18psi...zero problems so far

I am picky and ended up quite happy with this kit.

A few additional things would make this a great kit;

1. bov flange

2. beads on all pipes

3. brackets for the I/C

Just realize you are going to have to figure a few things out by yourself with this kit.

In all, I think this was an easier install than the first time I changed spark plugs!

A longer install, but easier.

Okay so I finally got some welding issues taken care of and connected it and this is what I'm getting...

Flutter from the wastegate, I'm assuming the cause is that the bov is too tight although we did loosen it quite a bit.

A lose of responsive power. I'm wondering if it is caused by a pressure drop.

I still need to get it tuned but I was hoping to resolve the other two issues first. Has anyone else had these same issues once connected??

all my pipes on this kit came beaded... so i think they figured too many people were complaining about the piping popping off so they just went ahead and beaded the pipes... as far as holding boost i havent heard a single person that had problems with this... the only thing i heard from people were the piping popping off thats it.... i think imfamous from imfamous tuning is using this intercooler on his gt30 setup... so if it holds that fine it should hold anything equal to that or smaller... one thing i have noticed though is on the newer kits theres 2 mounting brackets on the piping.. one on each tube on each side of the core... i havent got to installing my kit yet... but from what everyone has said... you should cut those off because they are useless... they just make ur time installing a lot more difficult... the only thing i can really see that they should have considered is using the same diameter piping... at least on mine the sizes range from 2.25-3.0... at least i think they do... another thing is that huge loop where it comes from the turbo... they could of definately shortened that up quite a bit...

overall though you cant beat it for that price... you cant even find TMIC for that cheap...

I do have an aftermarket bov. How would I solve the compressor surge?? Side note - which is better to monitor boost just a boost gauge or a boost/vacuum??

What type of tuning issues have people run into after they first hook it up??

Is there suppose to be a gasket on the connection on the passenger side??

I do have an aftermarket bov. How would I solve the compressor surge?? Side note - which is better to monitor boost just a boost gauge or a boost/vacuum??

What type of tuning issues have people run into after they first hook it up??

Is there suppose to be a gasket on the connection on the passenger side??

can you adjust the spring tension on your bov? or can you change springs?

there were no tuning issues with my car on the dyno other than our whimpy IWG on the vf40 :rolleyes:

what do you mean by gasket on the passenger side. Do you mean from the turbo outlet? if so, yes. I got an exhaust gasket from a local store

I can adjust the spring tension and I have toyed with it a little where I loosened it to where I could turn with my hand easily but I was still getting the flutter or boomerang sound and the car stalled twice which makes me wonder if there is enought psi.

You answered my question about the gasket. Thanx

I did my install yesterday and used the stock airbox. I'm not crazy about how it looks though, so I will probably order an aftermarket cai.

I love your avatar. It makes me laugh everytime I see it.:lol:

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

just a word to the wise. if you can adjust the spring tension on your bov (i have a turbosmart) dont make it so soft trying to get ride of any compressor surge or it will leak and the car goes no where. my first thought was the clutch was slipping. so i made the bov tighter just thinking maybe its a leak, sure enough it was...heart wrenching since i got a 200miles trip to NH comming up this weekend

^ I use a hks ssqv bov and I get 0 compressor surge... yes it does sound high pitched but there's actually a fin u can change on these to make it sound like ur normal bov... its not asjustable at all but I have never had issues surging... at low boost it still blows off....

Archived