LegacyGT.com

Gas Prices...what's your breaking point?

and yet our govt wont even hear the idea of reducing their spending before raising our taxes. Any time we talk about a new energy source or an incentive program like the gas tax cut, certain politicians are quick to say "how will we pay for it?" you'll take a hit in the wallet like we do all the time thats how.. We absolutely waste money in our system..
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drive a lifted jeep cherokee daily right now and i am getting under 20mpgs city and just over 22 hwy if i stay under 65. i am getting a 96 LGT in a few months froma friend after i finish doing some motor work and i plan to DD that. i am not looking for mpgs as much as a reliable DD so i dont have to worry bought getting to work the next day after i go wheeling. But i will say that 20+ mpgs will be welcomed with open arms.

It's soooooooooooo nice to work for a Shell dealer;)

I'll just say this......if you all think the stations are not cashing in you are greatly mistaken.

Well, it depends on the station owner.

The Shell station near where I live charges an extra 25 cents a gallon compared to the Exxon station right across the street from it. They don't get near as many people getting gas as the Exxon station - but they don't have to fill their tanks as often either. It evens out in the end I think, but with less work for the Shell owner.

Every station I know of.....@ least here in FL is getting .75 per gallon profit. In many states it is a base of 1.00 per gallon

For those of you thinking it's only pennies per gallon:rolleyes:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Well - that's what all the data says.

If you're comparing total profit of a station (includes food/drink/service sales) versus how many gallons of gas it sells... well then yes, I can believe it. If you're talking solely the cost of a gallon of gasoline versus how much it sells for, I'd like to see some real data on that because it goes against everything I've ever read on the issue.

what's to wtf about that? its a piggyback ECU like jetchips or bullydog or.. name your company here. Except its focus is E85 retuning

Just making conversation mang.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Every station I know of.....@ least here in FL is getting .75 per gallon profit. In many states it is a base of 1.00 per gallon

For those of you thinking it's only pennies per gallon:rolleyes:

As this is contrary to every financial statement, article and news story I have read it requires some proof.

Believe me, if this were the case there would be riots.

Maybe my 'misunderstanding' comes from what you term as 'profit.'

If you mean the station makes a profit of .75 per gallon that is absurd and I have to call BS. I am not sure you can discern 'profit' from a fuel invoice.

If you mean they 'take' .75 a gallon (from which they then pay all overhead and fixed costs) I might say you are close. HOWEVER, under that scenario 'profit' is really probably more like the .05-.10 we all consistently hear about.

Cost for stations per gallon (in our area) is 3.10-3.20 after our rediculous transport fees.

(Those fees are in upwards of .35 - .50 per gallon) **in our area**

gas prices are running 3.87-4.10

So if both of those profit margins were to be cut in half the per gallon cost would be a much more reasonable 2.85-2.95. As mentioned by others, gas under 2.50 is simply a thing of the past.

Simply cannot comment about the pricing any further

It would not be such a newsworthy & political hotbed to know the "little" guy is benefitting also now would it.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Cost for stations per gallon (in our area) is 3.10-3.20 after our rediculous transport fees.

So if both of those profit margins were to be cut in half the per gallon cost would be a much more reasonable 2.85-2.95. As mentioned by others, gas under 2.50 is simply a thing of the past.

It would not be such a newsworthy & political hotbed to know the "little" guy is benefitting also now would it.

Ahhh... So that's where the disconnect is.

The profit that is being made this month needs to be used for the rising cost in fuel next month. Yes, while gas might have cost the station $3.20 a gallon... The next time they buy a month's worth, it could cost $3.50 a gallon. So the price needs to be adjusted appropriately so they don't lose money with the next purchase of fuel.

$4.21 today at a racetrac in Smyrna, GA. (just outside ATL) thats a fall of 7 cents from around this time last week here.

Still OMFGWTFBBQ expensive, but it is coming down a bit.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

So if I read this right…

You buy the gas at 3.10-3.20 and sell it at 3.87 - 4.10.

So you have a working income of .77 - .90 at the pump.

Income is NOT profit.

That .77 - .90 has to pay for staff, lights, pumps, insurance, maintenance, operating materials, taxes(?), and several other fixed costs.…

Whatever is left over is profit.

Income is NOT profit.

That .77 - .90 has to pay for staff, lights, pumps, insurance, maintenance, operating materials, taxes(?), and several other fixed costs.…

THANK YOU!!! It seems a lot of Americans don't understand that, or they choose not to. A lot of people in Washington don't seem to understand it, or don't want US to either.

So if I read this right…

Income is NOT profit.

:whore: Potato Head!!

However...

It seems a lot of Americans don't understand that, or they choose not to. A lot of people in Washington don't seem to understand it, or don't want US to either.

Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! thing to say. While I'm glad you understand Revenue/Income vs Cost vs Profit. It is asinine to make the comment, "A lot of people in Washington don't seem to understand it" - An internet forum post by some Suby dude must mean those in DC are idiots. Because it's the people in DC who are driving up gas prices and creating ripple effects throughout the already shaky economy... That's good for US, right? I guess we're all just stupid over here and don't understand your advanced cost/profit views.

Not to seem (even more) smug or condescending, but I'm sure those in Douglasville, Georgia have an incredible grasp of basic business principals, and I'd love to hear their SOLUTIONS (not complaints) on tackling the global economics of a limited resource when you have so many different players/motives involved.

Point is, don't make idiotic blanket statements when you're just parroting useless negativity you've read/heard. And on top of that, "or ... either" is contradictory. :nono:

unwarranted attack on my comment and my intelligence..

where are you even coming from? some of these people are talking about INCREASING the taxes on gasoline and other things that will raise the price. They are CONSTANTLY badgering the oil companies for "record profits" not even considering their profit margins. Whats more they are opposed to virtually every single solution to even try to ease the strains.

Sounds like they dont get it to me.. but what do I F*king know.. I'm just some inbreed trailer trash redneck with buck teeth.. I ride a tractor to work and eat squirrels.. right?

unwarranted attack on my comment and my intelligence..

where are you even coming from? some of these people are talking about INCREASING the taxes on gasoline and other things that will raise the price. They are CONSTANTLY badgering the oil companies for "record profits" not even considering their profit margins. Whats more they are opposed to virtually every single solution to even try to ease the strains.

Sounds like they dont get it to me.. but what do I F*king know.. I'm just some inbreed trailer trash redneck with buck teeth.. I ride a tractor to work and eat squirrels.. right?

No, see I wasn't saying this trailer trash thing and knew it would turn to that... I was raised in Texas, come on!! lol

I only brought up geography because of your comment I specifically quoted, which I did attack because it was just spewing contagious negativity. Now you've just gone off on a tangent.

Bringing up the oil companies profit, however, is getting back on track...

They are CONSTANTLY badgering the oil companies for "record profits" not even considering their profit margins. Whats more they are opposed to virtually every single solution to even try to ease the strains.

Can you be more clear? Who is they? What do you mean badgering and not considering margins? How does this make sense, and who would do this? Why capitalize constantly and put record profits in quotes? Why do you assume that because you haven't seen the solution, "they" are opposed to it? ...So many assumptions here that are not communicated effectively.

sorry, I kinda flew off the handle there. (I do that a lot.)

I didn't go into much detail cos I'm trying to keep politics out of this thread since its in general forums.

I put record profits in quotations because even though the oil companies have indeed had records, their profit margins have been on par with previous data, so they're not gouging us or anything like that, they simply continue to make the same percentage of profit compared to their earnings. Many of the politicians in the recent hearings where the CEOs were brought in and basically lectured for the prices being high, have been conveniently ignoring this fact. I emphasized constantly because of the fact that this same conversation ignoring these facts have gone on and on within the same politicians publications.

I think this thread is probably long enough to cover the dialog about the actual effects of simply supply/demand in this "crisis." (I use quotations because I think crisis is a word too often used to describe a situation that people may not like.) However I do think it applies to the point that drilling for more would 1. reduce the panic effect on the consumers and possibly slow down the fears that it may skyrocket higher, and 2. long term allow us to use our own oil locally while the market answers the need for a long term solution. Basically, a snack before dinner. However many environmentalists and other individuals are blocking this development.

you all care too much..... you have no say in how much the gas will cost and even if you do know who to blame for this..... their pockets are lined with so much cash they could care less what you think of them.

:whore: I think its up to people to downsize and reduce the use of oil, then it will make a dent in their pockets but it will never change unless it gets up to like $10 a gallon then people will think about parking the SUV's an apartment size tractor trailers in this country..... I travel allot overseas and the contrast is so different then it is here in the US...

:offtopic: Obama is going to leave this country with spare CHANGE in its pockets by taxing us even more and given to the lazy as well as take my damn gun away, and McCain will be more of the same old "The Terrorists are coming to get yah crap" while pushing the dollar further south, i voted for Ron Paul but by the time elections come i hate to see myself vote for McPain just so i don't have to listen to Obamba's mimicking MLK then take my gun & money and give it to the boys in the hood in more food stamps for a 40 ounce and a pack of smokes... I'm screwed anyway... :mad:

:offtopic: Obama is going to leave this country with spare CHANGE in its pockets by taxing us even more and given to the lazy as well as take my damn gun away, and McCain will be more of the same old "The Terrorists are coming to get yah crap" while pushing the dollar further south, i voted for Ron Paul but by the time elections come i hate to see myself vote for McPain just so i don't have to listen to Obamba's mimicking MLK then take my gun & money and give it to the boys in the hood in more food stamps for a 40 ounce and a pack of smokes... I'm screwed anyway... :mad:

Don't hold back, just tell us how you really feel… ;)

Not to derrail this further, but recently I listened to a podcast called "Blast the Right", just for shits and giggles. The host was saying that the dems would only tax more the upper-middle class and up, which would only end up affecting 5-10% or so. Is that true?

Archived