LegacyGT.com

Gas Prices...what's your breaking point?

I'm not saying anyone needs to walk. I'm saying at the current rate we're going to have alternative fuels before the economy grinds to a halt because of oil.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I may be reaching that breaking point after what I heard today if it turns out to be true. Ran into an old lady friend that I haven't seen in a couple of years. She is currently working for a legal firm and the head lawyer of the firm has some friends in the petroleum industry. They are pretty much convinced she said that by the end of this year we will see close to $7.00 a gallon, and over $10.00 by the end of 2009. If this is true, once gas hits $6.00, I think I will have to definitely re-evaluate whether ditching the LGT for something with two-wheels might be in the cards for me.

im already paying 5.28 per gallon 1.49 per liter here in canada 3.79 liters per gallon

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

I think this has not been posted. Survey results of gas prices breaking point for US drivers:

http://www.ipsos-na.com/news/pressrelease.cfm?id=3953

New York, NY – A new telephone survey of 1,000 Americans, conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs on behalf of Access America Travel Insurance and Assistance, has found that 67% have already changed their driving habits because of gas price increases.

Among those who have changed their driving, the median gas price at which they did so was $3.20 per gallon, a level that was reached back in March.

As the price at the pump continues to rise, more and more Americans will be changing their driving habits: at $3.00 per gallon, 35% of Americans had changed their habits; by $4.00 per gallon — a reality in many parts of the U.S. already —, it will be 74%; and by $5.00 per gallon, 85% of all Americans will have changed their driving habits. However, one in ten Americans (9%) say they will never change their driving habits, regardless of the how high the price climbs.

Those who have already changed their driving habits are particularly prevalent among adults with a household income of less than $50,000 per year (73%), parents of children under 18 (72%), those living in the South (72%) and those saying the country is headed on the wrong track (71%).

In an effort to save on gas, Americans first tend to reduce non-essential driving. More than a quarter (26%) say that cutting back on travel or recreational driving is the first substantial change they made or will make due to rising gas prices. One in five (21%) say the first thing they did or will do is to consolidate or reduce errands (21%). Fewer Americans first look to alternate forms of transportation such as carpooling (7%), walking or biking when possible (6%), or using public transportation more often (4%). Only 3% say that the first thing they did or will do is buy a more fuel-economic car or a hybrid.

Proportions of Americans who first cut back on recreational driving as a response to higher gas prices vary little across age and income groups. However, those aged 55 and older are more likely than younger adults aged 18-54 to mention consolidating or reducing errands (30% vs. 18%). Southerners (12%) and those aged 18-34 (10%) are more likely than others to mention carpooling. Those making less than $25,000 (9%) and Northeasterners (7%) are more likely than others to cite using public transportation as their first response to higher gas prices.

http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncenter/petitions/?Guid=54ec6e43-75a8-445b-aa7b-346a1e096659

Sign the petition and pass on if you want Congress to consider domestic drilling!

Eh, that's not a solution. We need to move away from oil and we should of had an 8 year start already and had something more viable than these joke they call hybrids. I can't believe that's the best they can come up with so far.

A weak dollar doesn't help if you notice they're hand in hand, when the dollar strengthens oil goes down. Just hope they don't trade oil in euros cause if the dollar is in this weak state it'll be thru the roof.

so lets do nothing to get more oil? I couldn't disagree more. Yes we do need an alternative source and yes the oil will take a while to get BUT SO WILL A SOLUTION! So lets do both! If drilling takes 5-7 years and an alternative solution takes 7-10 years at least we wont be having food prices skyrocketting even higher due to the cost of oil.

"Drill here, Drill now!"

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Eh, that's not a solution. We need to move away from oil and we should of had an 8 year start already and had something more viable than these joke they call hybrids. I can't believe that's the best they can come up with so far.

A weak dollar doesn't help if you notice they're hand in hand, when the dollar strengthens oil goes down. Just hope they don't trade oil in euros cause if the dollar is in this weak state it'll be thru the roof.

Just wait a few more months when Obama becomes president and things will change, just Hope man, hooooopeeeeeee for chachangeeeee :D

so lets do nothing to get more oil? I couldn't disagree more. Yes we do need an alternative source and yes the oil will take a while to get BUT SO WILL A SOLUTION! So lets do both! If drilling takes 5-7 years and an alternative solution takes 7-10 years at least we wont be having food prices skyrocketting even higher due to the cost of oil.

"Drill here, Drill now!"

I couldn't agree more, the best answer at this point is to drill now and at the same time develop new technologies BEFORE we need them.

Just wait a few more months when Obama becomes president and things will change, just Hope man, hooooopeeeeeee for chachangeeeee :D

If your being serious then your just silly. Why dont we wait until Obama start debating, he knows nothing on alot of subjects, hes gonna get his ass handed to him once the debates start.

you're silly. not possible. this kind of thing has happened before and the white guy usually wins. Do a google search for Bradley effect you'll see what i mean.

btw, i live in Illinois and i do support obama.

If your being serious then your just silly. Why dont we wait until Obama start debating, he knows nothing on alot of subjects, hes gonna get his ass handed to him once the debates start.

Ohhh come on man, McCain stands no chance against Hope people can believe in :)

you're silly. not possible. this kind of thing has happened before and the white guy usually wins. Do a google search for Bradley effect you'll see what i mean.

btw, i live in Illinois and i do support obama.

Personally i will NOT! vote for Obama or McCain even though i have been a Republican all my life and could never stand the Democratic party as it always took money from the working class and gave to the lazy ass, "we all know this is true and if you don't believe it your blind and drink CNN koolaid"... With that said the GOP funked this one up big time pushing McCain. If i was to place big $$$ bets i would bet on Obama the way things look now..

I couldn't agree more, the best answer at this point is to drill now and at the same time develop new technologies BEFORE we need them.

++++++111111 But the Dems will never agree to drilling! It is so stupid because in the end we will be forced to drill anyway!

My Friends! My Friends! McCain is on The Communist News Network and Faux News Live Now!... Let's see if he has a plan cuz i sure have not heard one from Obama yet except Chaaaange Man Chaaange :D

you all need to get this back OT. btw if you want to discuss the political side of gas prices then please join the Political Arena where you can solve all the worlds problems w/o leaving your chair. :lol:

if you want to join the Political Forum go into your User CP, then click on Group Memberships, and click on join Political forum. just to let you know the PA is a little more wide open than the general forums but the rules regarding threats, racism, swearing still stand. hope to see you there. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Sheesh, I've been wondering how high gas prices will go before the economy collapses upon itself... the housing market has already down that after the whole sub-prime mortgage thing...

With most Americans getting a 3% cost of living wage increase each year the cost of gas alone makes the wage worth much less, not mentioning the huge increase in food costs and such due to the trucking industry getting hit hard...

I've been taking public transportation to work, but even they are cutting back routes and schedules because they are getting killed on diesel costs. I'd buy a SMART car if there weren't so many huge SUVs on the road.

Normally a time of crisis sees innovative companies really researching other technologies, but an occasional hybrid here or there from the auto makers doesn't seem like the best end solution...

Sheesh, I've been wondering how high gas prices will go before the economy collapses upon itself... the housing market has already down that after the whole sub-prime mortgage thing...

With most Americans getting a 3% cost of living wage increase each year the cost of gas alone makes the wage worth much less, not mentioning the huge increase in food costs and such due to the trucking industry getting hit hard...

I've been taking public transportation to work, but even they are cutting back routes and schedules because they are getting killed on diesel costs. I'd buy a SMART car if there weren't so many huge SUVs on the road.

Normally a time of crisis sees innovative companies really researching other technologies, but an occasional hybrid here or there from the auto makers doesn't seem like the best end solution...

I know thank god Us Bank the company i work for didnt do sub-prime lending and our stock isnt goin down.

I would buy a smart awd or that subby elctric if it will be awd to get around town, here in iowa winters are rough and AWD is a must. I do need a full size suv for a company vehicle thou and have looked at alternatives but not much progress, ford is planing the 4.4L diesel in a few years but that is a few years to late.

I know thank god Us Bank the company i work for didnt do sub-prime lending and our stock isnt goin down.

Subprime is misnomer. This was/is systemic credit bubble, and no banks are safe.

I would have no trouble at all buying an EV. If an EV would suit my needs as an over-all vehicle and was attractive. I would love the idea of being able to get all the "gas" I need to get to work and back by plugging in.

imagine if you forgot to plug in one morning tho.. calling in sick! :lol:

really tho I have posted this on this thread already, but http://www.pheonixmotorcars.com looks to be promising with their early development.

+1 to bosco, this is STILL in general forums, so we can beat each other up verbally in the PA if you like. :p I'm honestly surprised this thread has lasted as long as it has.

Archived