LegacyGT.com

Gas Prices...what's your breaking point?

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was paying $4.99 a gallon for premium in Crescent City, CA on the 4th July weekend :spin: .... $70 to fill up the tank :mad:

I was averaging 26mpg on the way up from San Francisco, but it was still painful

We took a trip to Chico about a month ago. Filled up part of the way there, and then drove around there and back on the rest of the tank. REALLY pushed it to the point that the miles-remaining guesstimator read --- (i.e. I have no idea). I was sure I'd break $60 for the first time that fillup, and went right past $60 to past $70, like $74.50. I think it was 15.4 gallons or something @ 4.83/gallon.

lol, wow. the most I've ever put in the car is about 12 gal. I'm very paranoid about being stranded.

Needless to say, a car that costs you ~13mpg to have fun in isnt so much fun when you have to granny it eh? I dont know about yall but I granny it on my commute all the time now and I'm REAL tired of being treated like shit on the road. This morning a woman with an EXPEDITION forced her way in front of me in a spot the size of a camry. if I had the force I'd have choked her vader style.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

lol, wow. the most I've ever put in the car is about 12 gal. I'm very paranoid about being stranded.

Needless to say, a car that costs you ~13mpg to have fun in isnt so much fun when you have to granny it eh? I dont know about yall but I granny it on my commute all the time now and I'm REAL tired of being treated like shit on the road. This morning a woman with an EXPEDITION forced her way in front of me in a spot the size of a camry. if I had the force I'd have choked her vader style.

I feel your pain, brathur. There seem to be a lot of aggressive women drivers in SUVs or cross-overs along my commute on hwy280/680. Just yesterday, I was honked at and cut-off by a lemon-colored volvo v70, and I was going at 70mph :spin:

Picture Gallery

I feel your pain, brathur. There seem to be a lot of aggressive women drivers in SUVs or cross-overs along my commute on hwy280/680. Just yesterday, I was honked at and cut-off by a lemon-colored volvo v70, and I was going at 70mph :spin:

I'll agree to that - middle-aged soccer moms are redefining what "aggressive" means. I've been out of work a bit, so I've been driving at 10:00-11:00 am a lot for interviews, etc. I can't count how many times moms are blowing past me at 80+ on 880..

This morning a woman with an EXPEDITION forced her way in front of me in a spot the size of a camry. if I had the force I'd have choked her vader style.

In lack of said Force, just return the favor if you really want to do something about it.

I'll agree to that - middle-aged soccer moms are redefining what "aggressive" means. I've been out of work a bit, so I've been driving at 10:00-11:00 am a lot for interviews, etc. I can't count how many times moms are blowing past me at 80+ on 880..

I get cut off by middle aged women almost everyday on the way home from work, its like they just dont care if your there.

I dont get it, I mean do they think their suvs are faster than our cars? Some may be but I consider for the most part the LGT an above average car in regards to acceleration. Not to mention those soccer moms driving like that are costing YOU more at the pump beacuse they're raising demand by putting their foot in it. Those v8 8000 pound monsters arent exactly gas sippers.

I cant return the favor because I cant cut someone off who tailgates everyone on the road. I'm not willing to drive like her because it makes my wallet scream in pain.

Maybe I should get some hella supertones.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

less gay than minivans, more available than station wagons...

I agree with these 2 points, but I disagree with safer. Roll over is not safe. In fact I think one of the worlds top 10 (Before china started making cars) most unsafe cars was the Mitsubishi Monaro Limited. Why the limited was less safe than the base model I dont know. SUVs give the ILLUSION of safety because everyone around you is driving one. (Which i've seen a rather sharp fall-off of that here. I see more PT cruisers in a drive now than I've ever seen.)

People have definitely changed the vehicles they drive to and from work around here. Theres still a lot of people in their trucks and suvs, but they are cutting back, and thats hopefuly slowing the rise in prices a little.

I personally still see no possibility of a net gain by switching vehicles or buying a new one. Even if there was a way that I could have a net income gain by switching to like a used civic, I would have a severe loss in happiness on those 1-2 occasions I allot myself to drive like a maniac and remind me why I didnt buy a civic or something. I think the price skew personally will have to meet a price point where driving this car with 93 octane is LESS cost effective than driving a full size v8 1/2 ton pickup before I will consider a change.

Why do they drive SUVs, most moms arent towning stuff daily, nor are they goin off roading on the way to work. It doesnt make sense

Because they don't want to be seen as "mommies" in a wagon or van which have those stigmas. Auto manufacturers have marketed the SUV as 'cool' because they wanted the fat profits from them.

I always like to throw this back in the face of people that ask why I bought a wagon especially if they drive an SUV:

"My car is just like yours except it handles better, steers better, rides better, has better braking, and guzzles less gas." Who's car is more "sporty" again? :cool:

Just like theirs ... except when they plow into you. SUVs unfortunately are safer if you don't consider roll-over risk because they are bigger. If everyone drove SUVs though, then that argument would fly out the window. It's still a stupid reason to own an SUV, by that logic you should really be driving around in a Semi, since THOSE are the biggest, safest things on the road ...

Just like theirs ... except when they plow into you. SUVs unfortunately are safer if you don't consider roll-over risk because they are bigger. If everyone drove SUVs though, then that argument would fly out the window. It's still a stupid reason to own an SUV, by that logic you should really be driving around in a Semi, since THOSE are the biggest, safest things on the road ...

yep

The most underrated safety feature is to avoid an accident in the first place. I would take my car over any SUV in that regard, even without the electronic nannys.

Coming from someone how has both....There was differently a time or two..that I would have been in an accident if I wasn't in the subie...but the question you have to ask your self is would I have been in this situation if I wasn't driven the subie..and I have to say most likely not...

+1. When you need a 25 foot opening in the other lane to dart into if the guy in front of you lays on the brakes.. you're probablly going to have a wreck. When you only need 18 feet or less (really you dont need a lot but to avoid reactionary wrecks I'd say you need a gap) like we do, you dart over and its a live live situation. I had some old recneck doing more than 15 below traffic flow IN THE FAST LANE here in ATL brake check the hell out of me once that made me dart over as such. (no, I wasn't tailgating.)

i think people just arent educated. they see an suv and think its the safest thing and like it because its big and has 400 cup holders. These people simply havent looked around. I think the gas prices will encourage them a bit to do that. Who knows, these gas prices may caused reduced automotive fatalities due to less suvs running over smaller cars and in general due to less people on the road.

The rapid gas price induced exodus from SUVs and light trucks proves my theory that most people were buying these monsters because it made them feel better about themselves and not because they actually needed it's capabilities. If people really needed it they would find a way to make due and pay the gas price premium.

I have to agree with the last post. I went from an accord coupe to a tacoma 4x4 and while the new tacos are pretty small compared to the other trucks and suvs people definitely respect it more on the roads than the accord. They let me in more, they give me more room, and I get a lot of nods from other drivers who are in trucks and suvs....

• 1 year later...

I'm going to revive this thread from the dead to add my $0.02 since gas prices are slowly on the rise and people are starting to freak about their MPG again.

My car doesn't get the best mileage in the world, about 23-24 in the winter and 27-29 summer (I commute 45 miles each way, 43 of which is low traffic freeway driving).

My car is paid for, so my total monthly expenses for it are gas, insurance, and maintenance.

Lets say I decided to buy a new or newer used car that gets better MPG, lets say I could even find one I like that gets 35 MPG. Lets assume I could see myself driving a Chevy Cobalt XFE (not going to happen, but a good example) that can probably get a real world 35MPG.

Let's say I trade my car in and get $9500 on trade, which is about right for this area and my car's mileage and condition. Lets say I can negotiate the Cobalt for $17K out the door (hey, I'm not buying the cheapest POS on the lot, I would get the LT trim with XM, nicer seats, power windows, etc...). I still have to come up with $7500 to buy the car.

Now what would I save assuming insurance and maintenance costs are similar? (I'm over 35 and have a good driving record, so insurance for my LGT isn't very high at all).

Gas to drive 220 miles per week (did I mention that I commute with one other person and only work 4 10 hour days?)

LGT @ 26mpg and $2.99/gallon for premium = $25.30/week or $101.20/month

Cobalt @35mpg and $2.79/gallon for regular = $17.53/week or $70.15/month

A savings of a whopping $30.05 per month!!! I would break even in 249 months of driving a car I don't like nearly as much as my LGT. I wonder if the Colbalt would last 20.7 years and 218,000 miles?

So obvioulsy it makes no sense at the current gas prices.

Now lets say gas goes to $6/gallon for regular and $6.50/gallon for premium.

My drving will now cost $220/month in the LGT and $150/month for the Cobalt. I'm now saving $70/month and will recoup my investment in 8.9 years and 94,285 miles.

How about $10 regular and $11 for premium? I now save $121/month and recoup my investment in just over 5 years and about 55,000 miles.

Does anyone still think that buying some cheap POS car that gets better mileage than your LGT is a good idea?

You're comparing a new car to a 5-yr old used car, which isn't really fair. Trade the LGT in for a 2005 Corrola (should be about the same price as your LGT, similar mpg as the XFE). At $6.50/gal you're saving $70/mo or $840/yr.

Is an $1k/yr worth the price of admission for an LGT, probably.

Personally, I just purchased an 09 LGT after thinking about what I would do if gas went past $6/gal.

I didn't want to drive a Prius, and the best sports sedans get about 30 mpg highway, so the LGT isn't that bad.

That said, the one car that could totally re-open the discussion is the new Telsa Model-S sedan. All electric FTW.

No, I'm comparing economics... My point is that for most people it is cheaper to bitch about your gas mileage and continue to pay more for gas than it is to get a new/used car. Unless you happen to be able to trade even for a car with better mileage (good luck with that) you will likely lose money in the long run.

Nice sentiment, but if I wanted to save money I'd get a used car that gets good mileage. Corollas are pretty good cars. Peppy enough, nice climate control, about as much room as my LGT... only missing AWD.

People who buy new cars that are fuel efficient to save money are morons, unless they commute an abnormally large number of miles, and/or are getting out of a gas guzzler, of which the LGT is not.

Nice sentiment, but if I wanted to save money I'd get a used car that gets good mileage. Corollas are pretty good cars. Peppy enough, nice climate control, about as much room as my LGT... only missing AWD.

People who buy new cars that are fuel efficient to save money are morons, unless they commute an abnormally large number of miles, and/or are getting out of a gas guzzler, of which the LGT is not.

Depends how and where you drive it. I am driving pretty conservatively and mostly city and traffic and I get 14-16 MPG, which is pretty bad if you think about it. But guess what I do not care what mpg I get because the car is fun to drive.

I may start caring at about $10 bucks a gallon but even then I probably still wouldn't care because driving my car is fun and the price of admission is worth it.

My next car will probably get worse gas mileage than this one but not by much. I figure at some point we will not even be running on gasoline so might as well do it while we can and have fun.

I agree that people who buy new cars for MPG are stupid unless they travel a lot and range of a tank matters.

What is my breaking point?

I don't have one, not with gas prices. Politicians' constituencies will freak the F out before people like me do, meaning people who run very healthy gas budgets have nothing to fear. I have two "big" engines and two turbo engines in my 4 cars (all eat decent gas and are great), and I'm not downsizing to some 1.5L econo box that will kill me in a highway head-on collision with a Nissan Cube.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived