LegacyGT.com

Gas Prices...what's your breaking point?

Tell me if I'm just being a whiner and having to much of a conscience, but I might be reaching my breaking point on continuing my relationship with my LGT because of the high gas prices. I live in CA, and have been paying right around $4.20 a gallon for crappy CA 91 oct for about a month now. Then, the local news ran a story last night with a hypothetical but very realistic sounding scenario where in 4 more years, we could be paying up to $7.00 a gallon for gas. :eek:

I love my car. Having been raised by gearheads, I have always been drawn to sports cars and my LGT fits that desire perfectly. But at what cost is it all worth it? With car payment, Cali insane insurance premiums, and now out of control gas prices with no signs of them ever coming down again (especially for poor quality 91 oct), I am looking at the damage to my wallet every month and starting to wonder if it is all worth it. I only use my car to commute to work and find it hard to find places and times when I can open the car up and truly enjoy it. I really want to just ignore how many fun tickets ($$) a month I spend on the car, but my conscience is beginning to get in the way. I can afford what I'm paying now but I could easily save myself $300 a month or more by getting rid of the car and going with a cheapo commuter.

If gas continues to rise, especially if it hits $7 a gallon, I don't see anyone continuing to drive large SUVs or high HP cars. I see the early eighties all over again with the only cars being gutless piles of junk with the only difference now being that there will be a bunch of hybrids thrown in the mix also. Is this the beginning of the end for fossil fuel burning cars? God I hope not. Will I break and dump my LGT for something more economical...the verdict is still out on that one.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None. It's a car I purchased of which I knew full well it would take premium gas even if it were $10 bucks a gallon.

I pay cash for all my fill ups and with any performance car, you pay to play.

My fill up last night was $55 bucks for about 14.3 gallons of 92. Does it suck? Yes, do I care? No.

I never thought I'd resort to driving less, but lately I have.

Although I get reimbursed 100% from my company for gas purchased, I still feel the pain while just using the car for my own leisure. $50 or more each time I fill up for the cheap crap.

Hell, I used to drive my 91 legacy a lot, but because it's gotta take 93 octane, I rarely even take it out.

The price now doesn't bother me much. But the way it just keeps going up every single day, it's going to get ugly pretty quick.

10 bucks a gallon

That's exactly what I was thinking 10 bucks a gallon is about right.

When you really think about it gasoline cost is does not add up to much, especially if you consider the high cost of mods. What's the increase - assuming 12,000 miles / year and 22MPG you're only using 545 gallons a year.

Soon the price I have to pay... Was SEK 12.99 per liter the other day... That's US$ 2.165/liter... Which in turn is US$8.22/Gallon... And the traffic is as bad as ever over here anyway.

Seems to me that people cut down on a lot of other things first before giving up the car...

453747.png

If its 20 bucks a gallon ill still get my Chevelle SS or Cuda when I make some cash

if i really make the loot ill get my dream car. Red Lambo Countache V12, 1.5mpg. mmmmm

$8 on regular is my limit :) Even if I could afford it at that price just thinking of all the things I could do with that money as its gushing into my tank as I am filling up is enough for me to go VW Golf or Honda Civic.

Its very different than in Europe because of the distances we travel in the USA. I know a guy who does 100 miles a day to work and back :eek: and I suspect a lot of people do a lot more than that to work or just to pick up the groceries.

The speed of the rise is really whats getting to some people. Only 5 years ago we were sitting pretty.

Bicycle FTW!!!

And the LGT for the weekend fun :) Bring down insurance too... Yes, I plan on about 2000 miles a year, thanks. lol

In reality, I think I'd keep the LGT and get a moped, ride my bike, motorbike, something... And if gas does get to $7 a gallon or higher... I honestly dont think that 70% of the US could afford to live, period. Gas prices go up, groceries go up, goods go up, shipping goes up, airlines take a hit, the whole economy will/is collapsing and its due to gas prices.

To fix the gas prices... The truck drivers of America need to say F*** this and strike. The second, maybe third day will roll around and gas prices will go back to $2 a gallon. That and the fact that every store and gas station will be depleted by that time. So you'd need to have about a week's supply of groceries and gas... lol but it would work

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

take it over any sweat jumps?

Of course! I have a few 70's early 80's bmx bikes. Fun Winter hobby.

I just filled up the Legacy, MR2urbo, MPV mini and my daughters 98 cabrio... all in the same day... Let me pry my hands off my ankles....jeeeeez! It was over 200.00, but that will last for weeks switching off vehicles.

I think I'm in the opposite camp. I've had little desire for a 'premium' badged car because I think they're too accessible to anyone who can sign a lease. However, now that operating costs will make something like a BMW, Merc or Audi a bit less common place, I'm more likely to find value in the exclusivity. Something like an S4 Avant, M3 or a C-class AMG model would be where I might trend to in the future.

Definitely a vehicle like a Cadillac Escalade AWD that gets 12 mpg city will increase in exclusivity. Especially if its carrying a giant Thule container on top and one petite female driver :D Now that will be living large at $8 a gallon :D

i think gas prices will drop again, not to the point that they were before but inthe mid to upper $2 range.

And LOL about anyone saying they wouldn't care about paying $10 a gal and would still drive the LGT. I love my car, but there is no way shape or form it would be worth approx $150 to fill up (approx 6 fill ups a month for a total of $900 just in gas), it couldnt possibly bring me that much pleasure.

Archived