LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have had oil consumtion issues for the past 20k miles and the main place oil seems to go is in the pcv system which takes it away from the operation it was intended for in the motor. I've had multiple test done by the dealer and multiple times they have said eveything is fine. Last oil change they had the results from our multiple consumption test which were that I lose 1qt every 1159 miles which is a lot but SOA says 1qt every 1000 miles to them is exessive so sadly to them it's not messed up enough yet to do anything about it. I carry 1qt in my trunk now for those times I have to add oil.

Have you done compression/leakdown tests? I had similar oil consumption caused by cracked ringland on cyl. #4. Leakdown was only 8% vs. 2-3% on other jugs. Small crack that did not affect the power appreciably, just caused oil consumption.

Have you done compression/leakdown tests? I had similar oil consumption caused by cracked ringland on cyl. #4. Leakdown was only 8% vs. 2-3% on other jugs. Small crack that did not affect the power appreciably, just caused oil consumption.

Both test have been done 2 times by the dealer.

Leakdown comes back 3,4,4,3 which is excellent. :lol:

they told me that hard cornering is probably why the oil is getting in the pcv system.

i guess im one of the few lucky ones so far. 66k miles on the stock turbo, mobil 1 the entire life of the car, and i try to change it every 3700 miles

It looks real bad to see a thread on this like anything. However the true failure rate is unknown except by Subaru for covered under warranty engines or just over.

Our 5mt LGT wagon is driven by wife 90% time and rarely sees tach past 4000rpm. It gets dealer dino every 3k-4k miles and is in heated garage in winter(40F+) . No problems whatsoever at 59k miles(bought new). Not sure if the switch to synthetic is worth it at this point given.

Name: Ken Halvorsen

Make: 2006 Outback XT LTD

Mileage: ~68000

Time Out Of Use: 1 week so far

Problem And Likely Cause: turbo failure due to low oil

Modifications: none

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): None yet

Your Story:

I bought the car used only a few weeks ago from a private party sale with ~66,000 miles on it. Last week I took off on a short trip with the family and started hearing a whirring/whistling sound on the highway - it almost sounded like really high winds. The car started losing acceleration and eventually I had to pull over and get towed to the nearest subaru mechanic (which is not that fun when you're away from home with a toddler and infant in the car).

A couple of days later I find out that the turbo is blown due to low oil (bone dry was his exact phrasing I think), and the mechanic quotes $2950 for replacement. Luckily, the damage seems to be limited to the turbo, as the engine oil had no evidence of debris. Interestingly, I had checked the engine oil only a few hours prior to the breakdown and it was full. I'm currently having it towed to the closest subaru dealer for replacement (quoted $1600), which will hopefully be under warranty.

Despite much misinformation from several subaru mechanics and dealers, I have finally confirmed that my turbocharger assembly is (in theory) covered by the 7/70,000 California emission warranty (car was sold and used in Mass., which adopted the California standard). So now I'm gearing up for a big warranty fight with Subaru. The previous owner had access to mechanics at his workplace who used synthetic-blend oil and replaced it for him every 3000 miles. I have only owned the car for about 2,000 miles. Unfortunately, no oil change records exist. Hopefully, the evidence on this board coupled with the warranty clause "SOA will not deny a warranty claim solely because you have no record of maintenance" and my persistence will be enough to get coverage.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

The banjo filter was clogged, preventing oil from getting to the turbo.

Subaru will not cover under warranty, but has offered to give a $500 "goodwill" credit, and I'm not sure if I should accept it or fight for something better. The total replacement cost from the dealer was $2000, so my portion would be $1500. I still feel that subaru is at fault here, but of course I'm lacking proof, like many others on this board.

If you're outside warranty period you probably don't have much ground to stand on. Make them give you $500 cash, buy used turbo and replace yourself or go to an independent shop.

If you're outside warranty period you probably don't have much ground to stand on. Make them give you $500 cash, buy used turbo and replace yourself or go to an independent shop.

Too late for that...the work is already done. But I am inside the 70,000 mile California emissions warranty, which specifically covers the turbo (in the states where it applies).

^ That is bullshit then. Banjo bolt is so annyoing. I am starting to lose faith in Subaru after reading this thread. Time to unload this car as much as I love it once I hit 50k miles. Unless Subaru recalls parts that aid in oil starvation.

I will check out the banjo bolt and screens on my next oil change. Gulp.

Update:

The banjo filter was clogged, preventing oil from getting to the turbo.

Subaru will not cover under warranty, but has offered to give a $500 "goodwill" credit, and I'm not sure if I should accept it or fight for something better. The total replacement cost from the dealer was $2000, so my portion would be $1500. I still feel that subaru is at fault here, but of course I'm lacking proof, like many others on this board.

Final story: SOA won't do anything under warranty (despite my attempts), claiming that turbo failed due to improper maintenance. At this point it feels like my word against theirs - I claim oil was changed every 3k miles (with no proof), they seem to claim that the only cause of a turbo-destroying clogged banjo filter is improper maintenance (with no proof). The subaru dealer did give me a $500 goodwill credit toward the $2000 job, so at least that's something. I'll probably try following up one more time with a letter to SOA. After this fiasco, I think my first subaru will also be my last...

The banjo bolt will only clog due to lack of maintenance. Unless you can prove the car was maintained (via repair orders or receipts) you are likely out of luck.

What most people don't realize when buying a used vehicle with a factory warranty is that the warranty still only covers defects. Even if you have maintained the vehicle properly during the time you owned it, if the previous owner neglected it, you assume that liability.

The banjo bolt will only clog due to lack of maintenance.

IIRC some of the members in this thread more than adequately proved their routine maintenance schedules after having turbo failures from "lack of oil" most likely attirbuted to this stupid banjo filter. This is more of a design flaw issue no?

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

My take (repeated many times).

Oil is underspecified and oil change interval was over optimistic. Now OCI is quite low 3750 but some people still report failures. Frequency dropped (after 2006 OCI was halved) but original problem remains.

I do not think that banjo filters are the culprit. Suff clogging banjo filters is the culprit.

Has anyone checked what clogs banjo screens?

Oil coke? Sludge? Metal parts?

Krzys

Last spring my 2005 LGT loses a turbo on roadtrip. The service guys at YARK Subaru in Toledo,OH are OUTSTANDING! They do the repairs, SOA picks up half, I'm still fighting with the POS's at Bloomington Subaru,MN for the other half. But that's another story. Last fall we get the urge and buy a new 2008 WRX. Fun little car, I prefer the LGT but this is for the wife. Last week wife is driving the car, gets pulled over by a MN State Trooper. Car is blowing clouds of smoke behind. Call the tow truck, have it hauled to nearest Subaru dealer. BLOWN TURBO seal. Anyone have similar experiences? This could get old! Car had 4200 miles on it. Oil change (conventional) at 3700.

My Subaru dealer told me it was oil sludge...

So if it is sludge and one removes filters in banjo bolts but does not alter its oil maintenance (OCI or oil properties) then sludge will continue to build up somewhere else in the engine.

I wonder if we have any confirmed cases (first owners would be the best) of turbo failure with OCI 3750 miles or less.

Krzys

My last post was 1/15/09 and things did not look good. The dealership found an old oil change sticker in the window and figured that was my last change about 25k miles ago. CDS is the local extended warranty garantor for my Legacy. Mind you they have had the car since Dec 29th. When this rep came in he coulld not say it was a mainaaince issue.

The Service guy asked if I wanted to look at the mess. The turbo shaft had snapped in half at the bearing, everything under the hood was sprayed with oil, the oil line had a hole blown in it and looked like an anurism. The banjo bolt screen was not all that plugged. It looked like sme thicker oil coated part of the screen. After all the hassle, letters to the state Attorney General, they fixed it minus my deductable and the price for new oil. But when I picked it up I remember my wife lost a key and the rear wiper was toast, and they gave them for free (hassle factor). My odds on buying another Subaru are not good. I still love the car, its a blast to drive and quick enough to blow off many unsuspecting driver.

I was told by a local oil mart (been there for 20 years) not to run synthetic until after the 3rd or 4th oil change to allow all of the factory detergents to set in and do their work. Ive got free oil changes for life from my subaru dealer and change it at 3750miles (6000kms) im just past 18000 kms with no signs of issues. The oil mart very strongly recommended that run synthetic after oil change number 4, especially with our harsh winters that routinely get to -35c and beyond.

Of the 200 or so posts, Id like to see how many of these "banjo bolt" issues are;

1. on cars that the owner bought new

2. had the dealer or other mechanic do the oil changes every 3700 miles or less. (or at least had oil filter/lube recipts for every one since new.

3. had the dealer deny coverage for the banjo bolt issue.

i havnt checked but i bet its next to nil.

as a previous poster state, you assume lieability with the purchase of a used car.

thats one of the reasons i bought a new subaru and not a used one.

Your oil mart monkeys are clueless.

+10000000:lol::lol::lol: Gotta get that detergent to soak in!

But if there were an infinite number of them, ONE (1) would be right!!!!;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Of the 200 or so posts, Id like to see how many of these "banjo bolt" issues are;

1. on cars that the owner bought new

2. had the dealer or other mechanic do the oil changes every 3700 miles or less. (or at least had oil filter/lube recipts for every one since new.

3. had the dealer deny coverage for the banjo bolt issue.

Why 3750? Originally it was 7500 miles and was halved in late 2006 if I am not mistaken.

For more fun SOA has not officially changed OCI requirement for cars earlier than MY 2006.

So per book my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT has OCI 7500 miles.

I suspect it has more to do with possible litigation than care of the car or customer.

Krzys

OK so now I'm scared. I've been changing my oil very frequently and I take very good care of the entire car in general.

But this turbo starvation banjo clog issue has me worried.

Are there any pictures or walkthroughs on the banjo situation?

I'd like to read more about it or see pictures of where/what it is so I can possibly check this out.

thanks

Your oil mart monkeys are clueless.

Ok, im sure Ive mistyped what they told be but the basis was that the factory puts certin additives into the system when it leaves, some protect it in transport, some are specific to our climate etc etc.. They recomended that I dont switch away from "factory recomended oil" until past 24000kms.

OK so now I'm scared. I've been changing my oil very frequently and I take very good care of the entire car in general.

But this turbo starvation banjo clog issue has me worried.

Are there any pictures or walkthroughs on the banjo situation?

I'd like to read more about it or see pictures of where/what it is so I can possibly check this out.

thanks

Im sorry I cant put myself in your shoes. I read these posts and yeah for a second I get worried. I guess it doesnt bother me as my car is new and gets serviced for free at the dealer before the 3750 OCI.

On a side note, I bought a 2002 Nissan Xterra with a 3.3liter V6 back in Jan 2007. I do all the oil changes and servicing (that i can). Last summer it started making a ticking sound, that turning into piston slap. I had let the OCI go well over the 5000k the manual said, and when I drained the oil, there was almost 50% less than required ammount. Just enough to starve the lifters and kill one ore more of my piston rings, but not enough lost to trigger the warning light.

Anyway long story short, Ive got extended warranty (not nissan extended) and the dealer wants 15hours labour to dissassemble the motor to see "if its abuse or wear and tear". Now I know (fairly certin) its my fault so I opted to put in a used motor at my expense.

My point is, I was more worried about vehicle (with a kid on the way) than I am about an oil issue with my subaru.

Archived