LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the consensus of opinion? If you have a Subaru Extended Warranty and oil change records showing changes every 3750 miles, will Subaru cover the repair cost 100% minus any warranty deductible?

I bought my LGT used from a Subaru dealer so I don't have prior service records but I'm making a point of having the local dealers change the oil regularly now. Although I've never done so in the past, I'm debating buying the extended warranty because I usually keep my cars till they are well past 100k and this turbo failure issue is starting to make me nervous.

from all i gathered from SOA if you have all your records (receits) of services and oil changes and you bring the car in with no mods they will cover it. they (the dealership) were breaking my balls because i didnt have my engine cover on which turned into a 15 minute conversation in itself.

they (the dealership) were breaking my balls because i didnt have my engine cover on which turned into a 15 minute conversation in itself.

Good to know as well. My cover had 3 broken pins, so I pulled it recently. Better throw it in the back of the car in case I take it to stealer.

Name: Brian

Make: '05 Legacy GT

Mileage: 32,200

Time Out Of Use: 2 days

Problem And Likely Cause: Check engine came on the night before, the next day funky noises, and no power. Broken turbine shaft, no cause given.

Modifications: Blitz air box cover. Nothing else.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): YES

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): Honored

Your Story: Purchased the car used from a dealer, 31,xxx miles. I'm the second owner. Car was originally purchased from a subaru dealer down the street from the dealer I work at, and serviced there by the previous owner. Basically the short story is, my warrenty in-service was Dec of 2004, so I was out of warrenty at this time....all of this basically happend 2-16-09.....last week while I was in Florida on vacation. I left for vacation on Monday, they called me Wed morning and said, we got the car all set for you, you had a broken turbine shaft in the turbo, So we fixed that and changed the oil for you, its all covered under warranty. I was like, well, sweet!!! I had them print me out all of the history on the car so I could have it just for the hell of it. The previous owner had like 2 oil changes done there since new, and had a warrenty recipt for a SES light for some kind of actuator due to low oil level. Plus the Air box cover I had....No questions asked. Im definately thinking about an SOA extended warranty though.

Great to hear a good story. Wish I worked for a dealer so I could have a happy ending as well ;)

Name: Brian

Mileage: 32,200

Time Out Of Use: 2 days

Problem And Likely Cause: Check engine came on the night before, the next day funky noises, and no power. Broken turbine shaft, no cause given.

Modifications: Blitz air box cover. Nothing else.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): YES

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): Honored

Your Story: Purchased the car used from a dealer, 31,xxx miles. I'm the second owner. Car was originally purchased from a subaru dealer down the street from the dealer I work at, and serviced there by the previous owner. Basically the short story is, my warrenty in-service was Dec of 2004, so I was out of warrenty at this time....all of this basically happend 2-16-09.....last week while I was in Florida on vacation. I left for vacation on Monday, they called me Wed morning and said, we got the car all set for you, you had a broken turbine shaft in the turbo, So we fixed that and changed the oil for you, its all covered under warranty. I was like, well, sweet!!! I had them print me out all of the history on the car so I could have it just for the hell of it. The previous owner had like 2 oil changes done there since new, and had a warrenty recipt for a SES light for some kind of actuator due to low oil level. Plus the Air box cover I had....No questions asked. Im definately thinking about an SOA extended warranty though.

Prepare to be surprised. And get ready to join this above list unless you read the details about banjo bolts, OEM filters and filing your receipts.

05 turbos sound a bit like a timebomb.

Read the details above and the # of rants due to SOA not covering the turbo. The warranty is conditional.

The 5 year powertrain warranty should cover you untill Dec 2009 so its not surprising they replaced this for you.

Name: Dave

Mileage: 90,414

Time Out Of Use: 1 week

Problem And Likely Cause: Turbo failed due to oil

starvation

Modifications: AEM cai

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No:) No warranty

Your Story: CEL came on, I had just put on an AEM cai, so i figured it was from that. Checked the code and it was the advanced timing code for bank 1 (P0011). The closest dealership is 124 miles so some good local mechanics worked on it under the guidance of subaru techs. They checked the banjo bolt and the screen had been removed. They cleaned and flushed the cam advance soleniod because of debris and changed the oil twice with extensive test driving in between. Got it back and everything seemed fine so i took it over the mountain for the weekend. On the way back coming up the mountain the turbo started shreeking and then died. The local mechanics said they did all they could do and that the damage had already been done. I bought the car with 84,000 miles so I have no idea about its past oil change history. I have a used vf40 on the way I don't know if the oil starvation problem has been fixed. If anyone has any ideas on what i should do let me know. I think i'll be doing the work myself since everyone here seems to know more about whats going on than subaru especially in bfe, wyoming.

Thats my mistake, I guess I was, it just threw me off because I stoped back into the dealer to see about an extended warranty and the guy said It was expired....I guess he probly ment the basic 3/36 and I missunderstood.

I will most likely remove the screen though, and at my dealer I'll have them print me off the recipts when I change the oil since I am a tech and do everything myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Ray

Make: '05 Legacy GT Limited 5 spd

Mileage: 69,631

Time Out Of Use: 1 day so far...

Problem And Likely Cause: CEL came on (light throttle, cruising, low RPM). Whirring sound after, knew it was the turbo then. Most likely banjo bolt.

Modifications: Catback exhaust (not really a mod), K&N Panel Filter

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): Given the run around. Was told when i bought my car it was a "certified" used vehicle and had a 100k bumper to bumper. They now tell me it is not a certified used vehicle. Waiting to hear back from some manager i was told to call, but it is his day off. I need my car back on the road ASAP.

Your Story: Daily driven 90 miles per day mostly highway. Barely use the available power. Oil changes every 4-5k with mobil 1 5w30 and mobil 1 filters (but reading this, i might switch filters?). Removed banjo bolt last night, slightly plugged up. Was still able to blow through it. Cleaned. Reinstalled. Waiting to hear back from subaru. Have finger on the trigger with forcedperformance.net for an EVO3 68HTA turbo after reading that subaru might only pay half, which is more than the cost of a turbo i can install myself!

Name: Charlie

Make: '05 Legacy GT wgn

Mileage: 65,500 (est.)

Time Out Of Use: today

Problem And Likely Cause: funky whizzing noises, and no power.

Modifications: K&N panel filter, airbox res delete.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): not yet

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): N/A

Your Story: I had the car in at the dealer for a CEL and power steering leak. They returned the car saying they didn't find any code w/ the CEL and cleared it. They also said the found the cause of the steering leak and fixed it. 2 days later, my wife calls me at work crying that she nearly crashed the car 'cause the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I check the car out and it's still leaking; the reservoir is bone dry. I call the dealer to complain and they tell me the car will to stay overnite while they do a more thorough check for the leak, but they would not issue me a loaner. So, I decline for the time being and continue to refill the reservoir every time it gets low. Less than a week later, on my way to work, I get the whizzing noise on the highway and can't do more than 40mph. I have my coworkers (who are Acura techs) look at it. They find a bolt missing from where the turbo and DP meet and can hear what sounds like the bearings are shot. Yes, I work for an Acura & Audi dealer.

I will submit this situation and my car to Subaru come Monday. This is after I get the names and numbers of all the higher-ups, above the service manager (GM, owner, etc). I am also getting together all my oil change receipts, a verbal and written complaint to SOA and some legal advice from a few area lawyers (in case it has to come to that).

I've been using 5w30 Valvoline synthetic blend oil and filter after my 1st oil change. The service writer told me when I got my 1st oil change for free (conventional, of course) that synthetic was only recommended for the STi.

WTF?!

** what do you guys think?

Wife crying...never a good thing.

Go kick some ass for us all!

Name: Charlie

Make: '05 Legacy GT wgn

Mileage: 65,500 (est.)

Time Out Of Use: today

Problem And Likely Cause: funky whizzing noises, and no power.

Modifications: K&N panel filter, airbox res delete.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): not yet

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): N/A

Your Story: I had the car in at the dealer for a CEL and power steering leak. They returned the car saying they didn't find any code w/ the CEL and cleared it. They also said the found the cause of the steering leak and fixed it. 2 days later, my wife calls me at work crying that she nearly crashed the car 'cause the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I check the car out and it's still leaking; the reservoir is bone dry. I call the dealer to complain and they tell me the car will to stay overnite while they do a more thorough check for the leak, but they would not issue me a loaner. So, I decline for the time being and continue to refill the reservoir every time it gets low. Less than a week later, on my way to work, I get the whizzing noise on the highway and can't do more than 40mph. I have my coworkers (who are Acura techs) look at it. They find a bolt missing from where the turbo and DP meet and can hear what sounds like the bearings are shot. Yes, I work for an Acura & Audi dealer.

I will submit this situation and my car to Subaru come Monday. This is after I get the names and numbers of all the higher-ups, above the service manager (GM, owner, etc). I am also getting together all my oil change receipts, a verbal and written complaint to SOA and some legal advice from a few area lawyers (in case it has to come to that).

I've been using 5w30 Valvoline synthetic blend oil and filter after my 1st oil change. The service writer told me when I got my 1st oil change for free (conventional, of course) that synthetic was only recommended for the STi.

WTF?!

** what do you guys think?

hey all, new to forum, and had a question.

Looking at a 05 LGT with 46k on it. I looked at the carfax report and it had the turbo replaced at 43k....so my dilemma is this...should i be thinking, ok dodged that bullet, i should be good for a while, just keep the Banjo clean and change oil often....or should i be thinking, maybe this car is a lemon, and AVOID.....

i'm wondering if the turbos are repeat offenders, or just a bad turbo, and should be fine now that a new one was replaced?

Also, how can i tell what sort of other damage may have been caused after the turbo has blown? do i have to check the oil for flakes??

i'm concerned cuz there are 2 05LGTs similarly priced, with similar miles, the other has 39k, so should i grab the already replaced turbo one, or the other...

thanks in advance guys

7500miles oci is a bit steep compared to industry standards... wonder why they would do that.. and not have synthetic right from factory

even my brothers cobalt SS has synthetic from factory

Archived