LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

Just blew the turbo last night on the way home. Heard a strange noise, which sounded like it was transmission related. I pulled over and everything seemed fine, got back in the car and started to drive home. The noise started to get worse and started sounding like a rattle (loud) whenever I was on the throttle, and a check engine light came on with the cruse control light flashing. That happened right as a pulled into my driveway, I checked the error code and it said P0011.. I did check the psi while this was happening, and its staying negative.

The car has 33k miles on it! LAME

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All people who think they blew the turbo - DO NOT DRIVE THE F****ING CAR!

If teh compressor wheel is hitting the housing you are sending metallic debris into the engine. Enough of that crap and you will damage your rings/cylinder walls.

Currently I (as many before) have a blown OEM turbo on my 2005 LGT with 58,000 miles (please see my other post for details: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82761) that the dealership claims failed due to a lack of oil.

However this seems to be a very common fate to most Subaru owners, since the oil filter screen built into the factory oil feed banjo bolt at the cylinder head starves the turbo of oil and does not cause the oil pressure warning lamp to come on.

Now my purpose with this post is to hopefully gather a consensus of how many LGT owners have had their OEM turbo fail and what the cause of the failure was.

So please post the following.

Name: Lynn Hathaway

Make: Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 2005

Mileage: 63000 AND 49000

Time Out Of Use: A week so far this time, likely to be much longer

Problem And Likely Cause: Low on oil, maintenance issues, sound familiar????

Modifications: none

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No):

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable):

They were verbally citing lack of maintenance. When I offered to send them my oil change records.....no don't bother. It's out of the warranty period.

Your Story:

The turbocharger blew up in Dec 07 at 49k mile, and was replaced completely under warranty. Now a short 44 weeks later, it blows up again. I called the dealer when I felt it 'pop' on my way to work. They told me if the check engine light was not blinking it was OK to drive. Major error. I drove it home that day, back to work the next approx 40 miles. Then the horrible noises started. The upshot is, the dealer is telling me metal shavings from the turbo have went down into the engine and they would like to install a new one for $11,000 since it is now 3 thousand miles over the warranty and they won't cover it. I am just very frustrated. Obviously I am not putting $11k into that car. I plan to call SOA, but from reading these posts I am not expecting much help there.

Mods - This is also posted in the turbo forum as well. Please do not delete. I'm trying to gather as much input as i can. Thank You

I hope so..I will have to check. The sound is only under boost..nothing under vac.

A lot of folks on the forum are telling me the turbo is on it's way out. The odd thing is that I cannot find anyone who had the noise before their turbo actually died.

Fixed..turned out to be a leak at the Turbo/FMIC flange connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Matt

Make: 2005 LGT Wagon (2nd owner, purchased 15 months ago w/ 28500mi)

Mileage: 43000

Time Out Of Use:

Problem And Likely Cause: Sounds like marbles in my turbo, not good!

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): yes, hopefully

Your Story: Had CEL come on then go off a few time in the last two days but no loss of performance except for a little hestitation in shifting (AT) then a couple of whooshing noises under acceleration and then a drop in power and the sound of destroyed turbo (sounds like marbles are flying around inside. Ended up driving 2 miles back home and just got towed to the dealer tonight. I will update as things progress.

Update: Car at dealer over Thanksgiving holiday. Got update on Saturday morning. Yes...it's the turbo. Disintegrated inside. Metal in oilpan. Got oil change receipts?? Of course not. Manager not in until Monday. We'll wait until then to start the deliberations. :icon_cry:

Name: Matt

Make: 2005 LGT Wagon (2nd owner, purchased 15 months ago w/ 28500mi)

Mileage: 43000

Time Out Of Use:

Problem And Likely Cause: Sounds like marbles in my turbo, not good!

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): yes, hopefully

Your Story: Had CEL come on then go off a few time in the last two days but no loss of performance except for a little hestitation in shifting (AT) then a couple of whooshing noises under acceleration and then a drop in power and the sound of destroyed turbo (sounds like marbles are flying around inside. Ended up driving 2 miles back home and just got towed to the dealer tonight. I will update as things progress.

Update 2: Good news...Had oil change history reprinted at location where last done (Delta Sonic Lube). Should confirm proper maintanence. Crossing fingers for Monday meeting with service manager. Hopefully they give me a nice loaner!

Update: Car at dealer over Thanksgiving holiday. Got update on Saturday morning. Yes...it's the turbo. Disintegrated inside. Metal in oilpan. Got oil change receipts?? Of course not. Manager not in until Monday. We'll wait until then to start the deliberations. :icon_cry:

Hopefully they give me a nice loaner!

Tell the sales manager you're in the market for a newer year (or another) turbo vehicle due to this situation. I'm sure they'll give you something nice and/ or make exceptions for a loaner; my dealer (and employer) will put dealer plates on any car, that he thought the customer would buy, and give them (at least) the weekend to drive it and decide.

Then again, we're the only Acura dealer in this state. Good luck. :)

Remember, it's not some jerk service manager that gets to decide - it's SOA reps. Although a decent service manager can be certainly helpful.

The service manager is the one who makes a preliminary decisions whether submittal for warranty work looks reasonable as they may not get paid. If not they usually contact SOA for decision.

Update 3: They accepted the oil change records and will be replacing the turbo and complete short block under warranty. The service manager made the decision (I didn't even get to talk with him) and parts were to be ordered today (about $7500 worth according to what the service desk guy showed me). I'm going to see if I can get some pics of the turbo. I'm curious if it was the shaft or the impeller that disintegrated (or both). Oh and they wouldn't give a loaner at all....crap.

Anyway, I get to drive around in a "hot" light brown Chevy Cobalt rental for at least a week. I think I've found my next car!:eek::eek::eek: What a POS!

Update 2: Good news...Had oil change history reprinted at location where last done (Delta Sonic Lube). Should confirm proper maintanence. Crossing fingers for Monday meeting with service manager. Hopefully they give me a nice loaner!

I called SOA, and they were at least interested in viewing my oil change records. They said that the part was warrantied for 12 months by Subaru, and mileage had nothing to do with it ( the dealership's attempt to get out of it). It took them three days to determine that my 'engine failure' was due to the failure of the turbo that they had replaced in December of 07. I believe that there were metal shavings in my engine from last year that were not cleaned out, and they finally plugged up the turbo screen the 2nd time around.

The upshot of all this is.....SOA sent all the parts to rebuild my engine AND the labor was covered as well. I was extremely happy with this outcome. I finally have my car back after about 2 and a half weeks(and I did get to drive around in an 08 Tribeca which I liked very much). Seems to be running fine, but I have got to say that I am very worried something will happen again. So I am still sitting on the fence as to whether I should trade it in (for a non-turbo) or continue to drive it for another year or two.

To anyone out there who may have had trouble with the dealership wanting to cover this issue, I found it well worth my time to call SOA directly. They were very helpful in my situation.

Did the dealer automatically give you the loaner Tribeca to drive or did SOA arrange that?

I called SOA, and they were at least interested in viewing my oil change records. They said that the part was warrantied for 12 months by Subaru, and mileage had nothing to do with it ( the dealership's attempt to get out of it). It took them three days to determine that my 'engine failure' was due to the failure of the turbo that they had replaced in December of 07. I believe that there were metal shavings in my engine from last year that were not cleaned out, and they finally plugged up the turbo screen the 2nd time around.

The upshot of all this is.....SOA sent all the parts to rebuild my engine AND the labor was covered as well. I was extremely happy with this outcome. I finally have my car back after about 2 and a half weeks(and I did get to drive around in an 08 Tribeca which I liked very much). Seems to be running fine, but I have got to say that I am very worried something will happen again. So I am still sitting on the fence as to whether I should trade it in (for a non-turbo) or continue to drive it for another year or two.

To anyone out there who may have had trouble with the dealership wanting to cover this issue, I found it well worth my time to call SOA directly. They were very helpful in my situation.

I'm new to the forums, but have found a lot of helpful information here. I have a 2005 LGT with 52,500 miles and the check engine light came on yesterday on my way home from work. I noticed that the turbo seemed to have a little more noise than usual too. When I got home I checked the codes - p0011 and p0021. I had the car towed to the dealership this morning (SOA reimbursed the cost) based on what I read here. The service department called me back today and told me there was nothing wrong. "The oil is a little dirty and a little low that caused the code" is what they told me. I just changed the oil about 2000 miles ago and I know for certain that the oil was at the full level because I checked it right before the flatbed came this morning to pick up the car...I even took a picture of the dipstick with my phone just in case they tried to tell me that. I told them that I wanted something in writing stating that they specifically checked the turbo and that it was in complete working order before I would come pick up the car. I got a call back about 15 minutes later telling me that the service manager took my car for a road test and in fact there was a problem with the turbo. The bearing is shot and the turbo needs to be replaced (covered under warranty). Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all on this board - I probably would have believed them if I didn't read all of the valuable information here.

Update 4 (final update): Unbelievable! The dealer called on Friday afternoon to tell me my car was all set! They had set me up for "probably over a week" and reading stories here, I was preparing myself for longer. But they got it all done in 4 days. I got them the oil change receipts on Monday evening, the turbo was in stock and the short block got there on Wednesday evening. They even put 20 miles of testing on the car before giving it back to me on Friday afternoon. Seems to run great but I'm hesitant to stomp on it much with the new block in it. I'll be taking it slow for a little while while she breaks in a bit. So, all in all, not too bad an experience except for shelling out $150 for 4 days of rental car. I do need to call the dealer back because the invoice says they put new coolant in but doesn't say they put new oil in. Would they save and re-use the old oil?? If they did, why wouldn't they ask me if I wanted it changed since it was over 3750 but not yet 7500 miles? I gotta check on that.

Good job to galligs. I printed out a lot of info that I thought I might need to back up my case but never needed it. I'm glad your car got taken care of. I have to believe that SOA will be issuing a recall on these turbos. Can they afford to keep replacing short blocks like they did with mine? Or are they just chancing that most will fail out of warranty?

Matt

Update 3: They accepted the oil change records and will be replacing the turbo and complete short block under warranty. The service manager made the decision (I didn't even get to talk with him) and parts were to be ordered today (about $7500 worth according to what the service desk guy showed me). I'm going to see if I can get some pics of the turbo. I'm curious if it was the shaft or the impeller that disintegrated (or both). Oh and they wouldn't give a loaner at all....crap.

Anyway, I get to drive around in a "hot" light brown Chevy Cobalt rental for at least a week. I think I've found my next car!:eek::eek::eek: What a POS!

That's fast. But SOA should have paid for the rental. They did for me, when my stealer had my car for shortblock replacement for like 4 weeks.

As far as the work... cross your fingers that your car has been put together properly. Better yet, take it to an independent, preferably performance shop that knows Subbies to get the car checked over, unless you can do it yourself. The list of things the dealer screwed up on my car is long (f**k you Village Subaru).

At minimum check orientation of the knock sensor and intake tract for leak (turbo inlet hose, intercooler-throttle body hose). Also check coolant levels. Mine was low on coolant.

Yeah, I was back to the dealer today because the shift linkage was misaligned. It made a slight bit of resistance going back into Park and the other day it wouldn't start until I realized the neutral switch wasn't engaged fully even though the gear shift was in Park. A quick in and out of gear allowed it to start. They first said they would simply lube the cable but then found that when the tranny was disconnected, the cable slipped out of alignment. Go figure! Other than that it is running well. I'm keeping a close eye on it but the cold weather keeps me from getting into it too much. My garage isn't heated!:mad:

That's fast. But SOA should have paid for the rental. They did for me, when my stealer had my car for shortblock replacement for like 4 weeks.

As far as the work... cross your fingers that your car has been put together properly. Better yet, take it to an independent, preferably performance shop that knows Subbies to get the car checked over, unless you can do it yourself. The list of things the dealer screwed up on my car is long (f**k you Village Subaru).

At minimum check orientation of the knock sensor and intake tract for leak (turbo inlet hose, intercooler-throttle body hose). Also check coolant levels. Mine was low on coolant.

Name: Henry Juanes

Make: '05 LGT 5MT

Mileage: 59940

Time Out Of Use: 4 days and counting.

Problem And Likely Cause: Turbocharger oil seals, bearings, unknown cause

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): Lack of maintenance records

Your Story:

Bought vehicle used at ~59500 miles on 12/3/08, turbocharger apparently in early stage of failure, unknown to myself, seller, and previous owner. Vehicle was in use for 460 miles. Vehicle was serviced by dealer before purchase, including oil and filter change, on 11/15/08. Approximately 250 miles put on vehicle between purchase from previous owner and sale to current owner. Oil was found to be approximately two quarts low upon checking on 12/5/08. Oil and filter, air filter changed on 12/6/08. Scheduled service appointment for 12/12/08. Opted to only change plugs at that time. Oil leak at turbocharger oil supply lines found on 12/14/08. Brought to service department on 12/15/08 for evaluation. Vast quantities of oil found in intake piping and after further inspection, in downpipe. Turbocharger axial play of approximately 2mm found, radial play of approximately 20mm found (not a typo). Compressor wheel fragments discovered in intake manifold. Valve covers and oil pan yet to be removed pending initial warranty coverage denial reversal. 12/18/08, Official service and maintenance records from previous owner pending. Opened service request file with SOA. Originating dealership "erased service records as the vehicle was determined to no longer be in possession of previous owner".

::UPDATE 12/19/08::

Warranty claim was approved as a one time good will gesture. All repairs to be performed by dealership. Additionally, to those who tout the "page 47 lack of receipts loophole", it only applies to 2.5i vehicles with a SULEV rating from the California Air Resources Board. However, for California, Maine, Massachusetts, and Vermont; if your vehicle carries a CARB compliance sticker, your turbo is covered for 7 years or 70,000 miles as an emissions control device, and there are no options for SOA to deny warranty coverage based on lack of maintenance records, or even lack of maintenance period. This may be the one time CARB comes in useful for anyone.

Name: Patrick Rooney

Make: 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Limited

Mileage: 58k

Time Out Of Use: 3 days so far

Problem And Likely Cause: dead turbo, hopefully no more damage. Dealership said oil return line was completely blown off, which caused blown headgasket :confused: thus causing coolant to mix with oil. BIG PROBLEMS

Modifications: Bone stock

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): not yet

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): dealership is currently being stubborn about not having enough documentation...will keep updated.

Your Story: Driving home from college in an ice storm, almost home and the check engine light pops on in the middle of no where. A few miles later car goes into limp mode. I make it home, and have the car towed to the dealer the next day. They inspected it today and found.

dead turbo, blown off return line, generated so much heat that it ruined the headgasket causing a coolant leak, now that the oil and coolant has leaked they "can't tell how old the oil is", claimed they weren't accusing me but basically claimed that the car has been abused, which it has been anything but! We'll see how this turns out.

stop dealing with them and contact SOA ASAP. They'll warranty it for you in the end.

I have not had a bad turbo yet but I had my oil return line cracked. Currently my car goes through 1qt of oil every 1159 miles they say at the dealership that SOA says 1qt every 1000 miles would be excessive but since mine is every 1159 its considered within normal usage.

my turbo went on my 05 subaru gt at 58,000 the dealership replaced it....now i have 126,000 and the turbo is still working perfect knock on wood..lol...wasent thare a updated turbo ? somthing about the last number ending with a or b..

stop dealing with them and contact SOA ASAP. They'll warranty it for you in the end.

I have not had a bad turbo yet but I had my oil return line cracked. Currently my car goes through 1qt of oil every 1159 miles they say at the dealership that SOA says 1qt every 1000 miles would be excessive but since mine is every 1159 its considered within normal usage.

called SOA today, they basically told me they weren't doing anything, it was all up to the dealer.

Archived