LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

Name: Josh

Make: 05 Legacy GT Ltd.

Mileage: 30,000

Time Out Of Use: 3 days

Problem And Likely Cause: Dealer says turbo seal(s) were blown

Modifications: Turbo XS UP, Cobb catted DP, Magnaflow Catback, Cobb intake, 91 Oct stage 2 tune from Cobb AP.

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): No

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): N/A

Your Story: All parts except up-pipe were installed by me. Because I work full time, have a 2 1/2 year old son that I watch on my days off, and a wife who I spend time with on Sundays (our only mutual day off) I decided to have someone with lots of experience installing up-pipes do the install. During his install the (in)famous 1/2 moon seal went out which wasn't noticed until after the car was started up. Now since I was not there I have no idea how long the car was running while spewing oil. He called a buddy who is a Subaru tech and they replaced the 1/2 moon but to my knowledge did not replace the valve cover gasket. This was at 29000 miles and I drove the car with a VERY minor oil leak from the valve cover gasket until 30k when I took it in for the 30k service. I told the service guy everything and told him that there was still an oil leak from the valve cover on to the UP. He called me later and told me that my turbo was the source of the leak. I've had the car back for 1 day so far and guess what.....still leaking from the valve cover so I called Subaru and told him I'm bringing my car back and also would like the original turbo so I can "sell it" but the real reason being I want to thoroughly inspect it and dispute their turbo diagnosis if need be.

I would not at all be surprised if the turbo was indeed bad because it's quite possible that during the time the car was running with the 1/2 moon seal leaking that the turbo could have overheated and because I am modded I don't expect warranty coverage but I also don't want to have to pay for a turbo replacement if it wasn't necessary.

I'll update after I get my car back again.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Name: Jason Meurer

Make: 05 lgt sedan

Mileage: 68k

Time Out Of Use: 1day

Problem And Likely Cause: cracked turbine shaft, "oil starvation"

Modifications: Jazzy Aux-in,

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): No, not having an extended warranty is another horror story

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable):

Your Story: Daily driver, mostly highway, not overly aggressive. Downshifted exiting the highway, couple of good whooping sounds, then the rattle started. No boost!

It would be interesting if "oil maintenance info" would be part of report.

NJ-LGT, did you buy car new? How often did you change oil? What oil have you used?

Krzys

Standard Firestone oil changes every 3k-5k miles, I drive all highway. I am the original owner.

Wow, so you maintained the car better than per book (7500 still stands as recommended OCI for 2005) and you still have a failure. Do you know if oil used met Subaru requirement(ILSAC GF-3 or API SL)?

If you have proof for all oil changes I would call Subaru and ask them to show some faith in their product and stand behind it.

If Firestone used non recommended oil then go after them.

Could you describe your typical drive? How many miles, speeds, any long periods of no usage?

Krzys

PS If you consider legal action watch what you write.

Wow, so you maintained the car better than per book (7500 still stands as recommended OCI for 2005) and you still have a failure. Do you know if oil used met Subaru requirement(ILSAC GF-3 or API SL)?

If you have proof for all oil changes I would call Subaru and ask them to show some faith in their product and stand behind it.

If Firestone used non recommended oil then go after them.

Could you describe your typical drive? How many miles, speeds, any long periods of no usage?

Krzys

PS If you consider legal action watch what you write.

They were by the book, and I did go to SOA. They denied me because I did a some of the changes myself and did not keep the purchase receipts. (stupid me!) Luckily my local dealer worked with me on some of the charges.

As for my usage. Daily driver 100 miles per day, mainly highway 70-80MPH going with the flow. Did not sit unused for more than a week due to vacations here and there.

It is my drive pattern (I started with 130 miles per day then I switched jobs and commute 100 miles per day) but I left car sitting for 3 weeks at a time when I went for vacation. It has almost 83K miles and I change oil each 7500 miles. So far so good.

First 67500 miles with Mobil 1 5W30 then I switched to Castrol Syntec 0W30.

Krzys

PS basky, please tell us about your oil, oil changes and driving patterns.

Subscribed at 57K miles and 260+whp @18psi. Use Redline 5w30 every 4-5K. Car has seen track days and spirited drives. Never raced or dragged. When it fails, I'll upgrade.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

• 2 weeks later...
So, 1 out of every 22 2005 LGT/XT has had a turbo failure(reported to SOA) since Sep 2004. Just under 5%. That doesn't include the enthusiasts who upgraded, or those out of warranty who ate the cost.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Forgive my ignorance, but what does telling the EPA about this issue do if Subaru continues to ignore the faulty oil feed filter design. I don't get it...:mad:

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

So, 1 out of every 22 2005 LGT/XT has had a turbo failure(reported to SOA) since Sep 2004. Just under 5%. That doesn't include the enthusiasts who upgraded, or those out of warranty who ate the cost.

I wonder what do they mean by "unscreened warranty claims"? What about turbo failures when repair was denied under warranty?

I would read it as submited warranty claims; some were approved and some were denied I would guess.

EPA cares about this failure because dumping oil pollutes/destroys catalytic converter (phosphorus mostly - per pdf).

It looks interesting.

Krzys

I wonder if this also awaits Subaru

http://www.shulaw.com/documents/complaints/VW-Audi%20Complaint.pdf

They accuse VW/Audi for:

1. Making engine with not big enough oil capacity

2. Underspecifying oil

3. Increasing maintenance burden on owners

("9. The modified oil maintenance recommendations for class vehicles impose more

burdensome and costly maintenance than those set forth in the owner’s manuals and/or

maintenance booklets for class vehicles supplied by Defendants.")

5% failure rate (so far) is dangerous rate. I expect removal of Subaru turbocharged cars from recommended list of Consumer Report vehicles (if anybody here cares).

Krzys

PS There could be design issue with oil pick up tube too.

I'm just under 59K right now. I wonder if I should write SOA a strongly worded letter about my fear of turbo failure:lol:

I'm just under 59K right now. I wonder if I should write SOA a strongly worded letter about my fear of turbo failure:lol:

I will gladly sign that letter

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Update: Got a used turbo installed by an independent mechanic. When he removed the banjo bolt screen on the old VF40 he said it was clean! Yet the turbine shaft still broke. Granted it had been too long since my last oil change but if the turbo was even getting dirty oil???? I don't get it. I was noodling along at about 70 mph for about an hour and 45 minutes when the failure occurred, which was unnoticeable except for a loss of power. No noise, no smoke, no warning at all. Not cool. My peace of mind is kinda shot with this car. I did however have the mechanic take out the banjo bolt screen of the new used turbo. So far so good... I do however have a burning oil smell.

Name: brad21

Make: 05 LGT

Mileage: 74,xxx

Time Out Of Use: 30 days now

Problem And Likely Cause: blown turbo, banjo bolt screen is suspect

Modifications: none

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): Denied for lack of service records

Your Story: No warning light, no cel, no nothing, turbo just goes and leaves me and the family stranded in the desert. I WAS a happy and loyal Subaru owner. For Sale.

Update: Got a used turbo installed by an independent mechanic. When he removed the banjo bolt screen on the old VF40 he said it was clean! Yet the turbine shaft still broke. Granted it had been too long since my last oil change but if the turbo was even getting dirty oil???? I don't get it. I was noodling along at about 70 mph for about an hour and 45 minutes when the failure occurred, which was unnoticeable except for a loss of power. No noise, no smoke, no warning at all. Not cool. My peace of mind is kinda shot with this car. I did however have the mechanic take out the banjo bolt screen of the new used turbo. So far so good... I do however have a burning oil smell.

There is no filter (screen) on the banjo on the turbo. It's on the block.

There is no filter (screen) on the banjo on the turbo. It's on the block.

The TSB for the banjo bolt clogs I have says oil feed line filter IIRC. Is this the same thing?

Please search. It's been explained and discussed to no avail. It's on the oil feed line ON THE BLOCK SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allrighty then.

Archived