LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem And Likely Cause: waste gate door not closing properly, seems it was missing a spacer from factory, which seems to be fairly common

Your Story: not much of a story, and not so much a blown turbo, but turbo failure for sure. not sure how previous owner treated car, but based on his intelligence level and attitude i would say it was not ideal. i changed/checked oil pretty dang religiously from 80-105 and used full synthetic.wasn't holding boost, could hear slight spool but was not pulling like it should have. problem was first brought to light when i did a 4th gear pull on the highway with another bone stock legacy gt, got raped lol and logically it didn't make any sense why his should be faster.

no boost leaks could be found so i took the turbo out and found the problem with the waste gate door closing. it was missing a spacer between the housing and the flapper, and this prevented the door from lining up properly with the wg hole. not sure why my turbo was like this.. seems like more than a few other members have experienced the same issue. zero shaft play turbo was fine, except the door.

Happened to me on a cross-country trip. Fortunately I had a nearly new VF46 with me - installed and good to go. BTW - here's the fix.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 4 months later...

So after reading many of these comments i'm wondering i should buy a legacy with a blown turbo. Owner says only the exhaust side broke. said he replaced the CHRA (turbo internals) and the banjo filter and said there was no signs of metal there or in the oil.

147k miles for 5k

Thoughts?

So after reading many of these comments i'm wondering i should buy a legacy with a blown turbo. Owner says only the exhaust side broke. said he replaced the CHRA (turbo internals) and the banjo filter and said there was no signs of metal there or in the oil.

147k miles for 5k

Thoughts?

5k is a steal in my mind but I would give is a twice over by a master mechanic , ours went out and the engine is ok so far. These days we're starting to replace all the common suspension parts, oil cooler seal,oh make sure the trunk locks and the AC unit does not make noise after you turn it off. Just remember you pay to play.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

2005 Legacy GT owned since new, regular oil changes, NO MODS other than a pair of aftermarket sway bars. Used for commuting to work, never tracked or autocrossed.

Original turbo was giving problems around 125K, I read the forums about all the failures and had it replaced by the dealer. Near as I can tell, it hadn't failed or made metal.

18 months and about 14 -15K later, I'm driving to work one morning and finally realize I'm not getting any boost (traffic moves slow so it wasn't apparent at first). After work I drive straight to the dealership. They finally got around to pulling the turbo and are telling me that the turbo shaft is too loose and I need a new up-pipe. And they want me to pay for it all. So the turbo from the factory is warranted for 100K miles (or somewhere thereabouts), but it's reasonable for an OEM replacement installed by the dealer to fail at maybe 12% of its service life? I think not. I'll be heading down there to look at it in a day or two. I am very not happy. If they installed a defective turbo, then replace and return the defective unit, but don't expect me to pay twice for the same repair due to shoddy goods.

Good luck with that. When my car blew I had a brand new Subaru turbo installed by the dealer (in addition to a brand new short block with remanned heads from PMP auto) and was told I would only get a 1 year warranty with it... oh, and it didn't cover "lack of lubrication" related failures or failures related to other components failing first.

Kind of a shoddy warranty if you ask me, but I wasn't in a good position to argue with them. The only two ways I've actually heard of this turbo failing is due to lack of lubrication... or the cat on the up-pipe disintegrating and going through the turbo. Both of these failures would not be covered.

Good luck to you in getting them to replace something defective! My guess is that they'll just blame it on the last screwed up turbo that was in there though. Once a turbo goes bad there's a high probability your engine is contaminated and will continue to blow every turbo you put on it. This also means your engine could be disintegrating too.

Hopefully the reality of your situation isn't as grim.

• 6 months later...
My questions are how many 2005's have blown stock turbos? And 2006's and so on.

Does anybody have an over 100k factory stock turbo that hasn't been replaced?

I just bought one with 110000 on it and the previous owner says its original. He also removed the banjo bolts and always ran mobile 1 5/30 every 5000 miles with oem filter. Now I'm getting paranoid reading about blown turbos. Honestly I wasn't educated enough when I bought it. First thing I did was run the oil down 2 whole quarts (whoops) Didn't know about the oil consumption and this is my first turbo Subaru. Crossing my fingers now and wondering what can be done to prevent any major repairs (ie. engine replacement). Should I just get a new turbo installed now as a preventive measure? Also reading about the catted down pipes possibly being a problem. Thoughts?

Catted "up-pipes" are the problem. They are all pretty old right now 10-12 years old and could detach from the UP and grenade the turbo's turbine (hotside). That would be catastrophic. If that's not replaced, I'd start there.

As far as running the oil down to 2.2 Qts, only time will tell. If you were running it hard, and doing a lot of high-speed cornering, well the chances are much higher that you'll have engine and/or turbo issues sooner rather than later. If your oil pressure light never came on, or winked at you, you have a slightly better chance of surviving, but if it did (either), then plan on internal repairs.

Wish you the best. Time will tell whether that's on your side.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...
Catted "up-pipes" are the problem. They are all pretty old right now 10-12 years old and could detach from the UP and grenade the turbo's turbine (hotside). That would be catastrophic. If that's not replaced, I'd start there.

As far as running the oil down to 2.2 Qts, only time will tell. If you were running it hard, and doing a lot of high-speed cornering, well the chances are much higher that you'll have engine and/or turbo issues sooner rather than later. If your oil pressure light never came on, or winked at you, you have a slightly better chance of surviving, but if it did (either), then plan on internal repairs.

Wish you the best. Time will tell whether that's on your side.

Thank you for your response. The oil light actually never even blinked at me. Since then I have been monitoring oil consumption and it about 1 quart every 1000 miles. My plan is to send my next oil change to Blackstone for analysis. From what I have read with the turbo 2.5's this would be borderline excessive. Also I agree that replacing the catted up pipe would be a good preventive measaure. Is it possible to inspect the turbo from that side or would the downpipe need to be pulled? I now have 115000 on the factory turbo and am thinking maybe I should have it rebuilt so I can sleep better at night. Also would a tune be required for the up pipe mod?

I believe you need to pull the dp to get the up pipe out.

Hint, remove the studs and bolt the turbo to the up pipe.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Adding my case notes:

OEM turbo oil seal started to fail at 161,531 mile mark. No metal or other oil contamination, banjos were clean but I left them (All of them) out while inspecting and installing the newer turbo.

Sending my blown VF46 out to be rebuilt by 6-Star (if i can get in touch with them) or BNR. Will have it PnP'd and skipping the billet wheel.

160K out of a 46 is pretty good

You do know most of us recommend JmP6889928 or recently www.tuningalliance.com to rebuild your turbo. TA may also give you a better tune...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived