LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all new here..does anyone know if the turbo in a 2005 legacy is covered under warranty & if so where it is stated...only 24000 miles yikes!!! thanks in advance.....vinny

It is covered for 5yrs/60k miles from original purchase date/mileage in the USA. It may be a bit longer 70k with a CA emissions warranty.

It appears you are covered.

thanks raj,i havent heard back from dealer yet but he told me he was pretty sure it fell under the emmission area which would mean 3yr/36k which would sink me.. do u know if it was changed for the model years after 2005... is there anyplace i could actually read the coverage for 5/60k..oners man. in car 75miles away!!! thanks again,vinny

hi.got it new. i had paperwork for all but the 1st one which was at 3900. sent him paperwork for 7 other changes up to 24k.. im just hope they dont consider them to informal since they r from a local station and not the printed out type like jiffy lube type of place

spoke to the dealer this afternoon and he said the subaru rep asked him if i handed in oil change recs to which he responded yes.. the rep told him to drop the oil pan and inspect which he told me he wont be able to do till thurs.. the car has been there a week!!!!! the dealer had told me last week that he dident think it was covered under the powertrain warranty.when i informed him today that the 2005s were and that i had a print out of the 2005 warranty he was like "oh really,you better hold on to that". i would really like to rent a veh. till i get mine back which they would have to cover if it is covered but i really think they r gonna ty to screw me over. what if the oil sample is not up to the standards which it should be as a result of my oil changes.. how do u argue that!!! oohh baby ....

Update: Subaru of America came through for me!!! Today I got a letter from Subaru with a check for the full cost of my turbo replacement! I couldn't be happier. You really do have to work to get that coverage though. I think they key is being persistent.

Here's how it worked for me: I had little luck originally while the car was being worked on - the dealer originally said he could get me a $500 goodwill. I called and complained to SOA with no luck. After getting my car back I wrote a letter to SOA using everything I learned on this message board as my defense and they credited me the full amount!

Ken

Name: Ken Halvorsen

Make: 2006 Outback XT LTD

Mileage: ~68000

Time Out Of Use: 1 week so far

Problem And Likely Cause: turbo failure due to low oil

Modifications: none

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): None yet

Your Story:

I bought the car used only a few weeks ago from a private party sale with ~66,000 miles on it. Last week I took off on a short trip with the family and started hearing a whirring/whistling sound on the highway - it almost sounded like really high winds. The car started losing acceleration and eventually I had to pull over and get towed to the nearest subaru mechanic (which is not that fun when you're away from home with a toddler and infant in the car).

A couple of days later I find out that the turbo is blown due to low oil (bone dry was his exact phrasing I think), and the mechanic quotes $2950 for replacement. Luckily, the damage seems to be limited to the turbo, as the engine oil had no evidence of debris. Interestingly, I had checked the engine oil only a few hours prior to the breakdown and it was full. I'm currently having it towed to the closest subaru dealer for replacement (quoted $1600), which will hopefully be under warranty.

Despite much misinformation from several subaru mechanics and dealers, I have finally confirmed that my turbocharger assembly is (in theory) covered by the 7/70,000 California emission warranty (car was sold and used in Mass., which adopted the California standard). So now I'm gearing up for a big warranty fight with Subaru. The previous owner had access to mechanics at his workplace who used synthetic-blend oil and replaced it for him every 3000 miles. I have only owned the car for about 2,000 miles. Unfortunately, no oil change records exist. Hopefully, the evidence on this board coupled with the warranty clause "SOA will not deny a warranty claim solely because you have no record of maintenance" and my persistence will be enough to get coverage.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

84,500ish miles, oil change every 4-7k miles since I got it at 41k, synthetic...Turbo blew tonight on the way home. I am very worried that I have engine damage though as I only noticed the whining and grinding sounds more than half way home (about 30 miles in - thought I heard something before that but had the radio on and figured it was that).

I then staggered the other 20 miles home when the cel finally came on and all boost was gone. But that means I drove it for about 30-40 miles at 70mph+ while it was shredding my turbo - right?

So I should be very prepared to cry when I find that a VERY large bill will be coming my way right? Worse still I only got the car back yesterday after 2 weeks out for a new rear bumper after some a-hole hit & run'd me!!

definately want to get that oil pan checked for peices of metal.... the noises you described sounds like just the turbo going to me.. I know the shaft was completely broken and of course had a lot of play on mine and I drove about the same distance as you did..

Update: Subaru of America came through for me!!! Today I got a letter from Subaru with a check for the full cost of my turbo replacement! I couldn't be happier. You really do have to work to get that coverage though. I think they key is being persistent.

Here's how it worked for me: I had little luck originally while the car was being worked on - the dealer originally said he could get me a $500 goodwill. I called and complained to SOA with no luck. After getting my car back I wrote a letter to SOA using everything I learned on this message board as my defense and they credited me the full amount!

Ken

It might be a help to others on this board if you could post your letter so we could see how you made your arguement for reimbursement so successfully. After all they had turned you down once so I suspect you wrote a really good letter to get them to change their minds.

Archived