LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet. Mine showed up a day early :D

I installed it in about 10-15 minutes (including drilling the hole) and then sat and played with it for about 30 more minutes before coming back inside.

Its pretty slick. And it seems to work pretty well with my iPod Touch, as well as my old 4th Gen 20GB model.

Haha, well my Ipod menu is a bit more complicated than "playlists."

Does it scroll through all the artists and albums like the Ipod does ?

What about Video ? Settings ? Artists ? Albums ? Songs ?

Its one of those things that you'll actually need to read the manual for.

You basically use the satellite pre-set channels to use the iPod. Channel 1 controls the repeat/shuffle behavior (shuffle albums/shuffle songs), Channel 2 is your playlists. Channel 3 is your Artists and Channel 4 is your Albums. Channel 5 is your Podcasts and Channel 6 is your Audiobooks. Once you've chose a category, use the up and down arrows to scroll between artists. This is where the jog dial on the Impreza radios is much nicer than the up/down buttons on the Legacy radio.

There is also a hierarchy too which goes Playlists->Artists->Album and that basically says, if you hit playlists first and select a playlist, when you switch to artists mode, it'll only show you artists that are on that playlist. Some button or another clears that hierarchy (I forget what, and the manual is still outside).

Its a touch slow, and a little cumbersome, but its awesome to finally stop using the FM modulator for my iPod :p

Its pretty slick. And it seems to work pretty well with my iPod Touch...

OK -- I'm jealous. Just waiting for my 4th Gen 60Gb unit to die -- Monster FM module was slowly frying the circuits, but that is gone now... :spin:

Regarding the kit: the system is a little cumbersome, button mapping will take a while to get down and reaction time from system takes a while to get used to, but the sound quality is sooo much better than FM. Of course, in my new car, everything is better than my old 05 Grand Prix! :lol:

I think it's definitely a step up from simply using the AUX-IN as well.

1) It turns off with the car

2) It turns on with the car

3) It charges the IPOD

4) It gives you information on the screen

But as said before, it takes a little getting used to. But I would say 1 day of use and you will get it.

Also, in case anyone is curious, I temporarily stole my friends iPhone and it worked with the kit. It gave a warning saying "This was not designed for the iPhone, do you want to switch into airplane mode to reduce possible interference?"

Yes or no, both will play the music. Though, I'm not quite sure what will happen if a call comes in if you don't switch to airplane mode.

Yes or no, both will play the music. Though, I'm not quite sure what will happen if a call comes in if you don't switch to airplane mode.

I hope to get my HU + kit next week. I have an iPhone right now working with the Jazzy kit and what happens is the ringtone starts playing out the stereo, then I just unplug and answer.

What I think would be nice (and should work...) is the ringtone will play through the HU, then just use a BT headset to answer it, never have to unplug it.

So does this scroll the title of the songs or is it just "Ipod" or "Subaru"

Can someone post pics of this with both the ipod (id need to buy one) and with tagged Mp3s?

Im trying to decide between an 07 with this kit, or just getting an 06 unit with the MP3s...

So does this scroll the title of the songs or is it just "Ipod" or "Subaru"

Can someone post pics of this with both the ipod (id need to buy one) and with tagged Mp3s?

Im trying to decide between an 07 with this kit, or just getting an 06 unit with the MP3s...

You have to toggle between artist and song name. I usually just leave it on song name, but here is one shot.

http://www.neurosybir.net/nkoan/images/iPodInstall/IMG_2514.jpg

Same as the Song Name ID3 tag. There does seem to be a character limit on both, I dunno, guessing around 20-25 characters. I've seen a few of my longer song names get cut off, but not too often.

Well i dont mind if its only song name, but im so tired of putting in an old CD and going "oh yea, whats this song..."

ive had Mp3 tags in my car for over 5 years, and 3 cars.. so going to a reg. Cd w/o tags its kinda like a slap in the face lol

Just installed my kit this past weekend. It was pretty tough due to having a regular legacy and only having the basic temperature controls. I could unplug the fan speed and vent select switch, but I could not figure out how to unplug the temperature knob. I managed to squeeze my hand in underneath and plug it in from there. I also routed it to the glove box and had it come out where the slot is to put your user manual pouch. Unfortunately, I tried the kit with my 3G ipod, hoping that it would still support it, but it didn't work. I don't have a more recent ipod to try it with at the moment, so either something went wrong with the install or it's just ipod. I guess it's time to pony up the money for a new ipod.

So with this you NEED the 07 right? 06 Doesnt work? And the 06 doesnt scroll text on the MP3s either right? Just want to nail down that I need the 07 instead of a 06 for this..and what benefits i get with it..

Just installed my kit this past weekend. It was pretty tough due to having a regular legacy and only having the basic temperature controls. I could unplug the fan speed and vent select switch, but I could not figure out how to unplug the temperature knob. I managed to squeeze my hand in underneath and plug it in from there. I also routed it to the glove box and had it come out where the slot is to put your user manual pouch. Unfortunately, I tried the kit with my 3G ipod, hoping that it would still support it, but it didn't work. I don't have a more recent ipod to try it with at the moment, so either something went wrong with the install or it's just ipod. I guess it's time to pony up the money for a new ipod.

I thought I read that you just need to have the most current firmware on your iPod 3g. I might be wrong as I have the 4g and it hooked up no problem. Have you used Apple Update to verify that your iPod is on the current version? The firmware is where the integration hits, so this might solve your problem -- I hope...

Hmm, I'll have to double check on my firmware. Do you happen to remember the version number on your ipod? I'll have to get a newer ipod to test to make sure I didn't mess up something when I installed the system.

edit: Just double checked my firmware version, it's 2.3 and it says it's the latest.

Archived