LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

So you basically have to wire it yourself? What about the 8 pin plug on the radio? Do you need to buy that in addition to what you have picutred?

I also heard you can cut up the plug but id rather not...

The second post in this thread starts talking about how to wire up the aux-in. At least, from the back of the radio's perspective.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you basically have to wire it yourself? What about the 8 pin plug on the radio? Do you need to buy that in addition to what you have picutred?

I also heard you can cut up the plug but id rather not...

I think you do have to wire it yourself. I was thinking I might look for a wrecked car and go in and pull out the plug and wires that would run from the aux jack to the harness at the back of the stereo, but I think it may just be easier to wire it yourself. I don't have any idea how I was going to make this jack I bought work. I was going to leave that up to a professional. There may be easier to install jacks out there.

I just wanted to drop a quick note that I performed this mod on my 2008 2.5i Limited. It works perfectly. Plugged it into the Sat port on the back of the headunit and snuck the cable through to the center console/armrest.

There is a slight delay switching tracks, but it otherwise works well and sounds great.

Wouldn't really call the iPod Integration kit a mod, since it's a Subaru designed accessory made for these stereos. Only deviation necessary from the included instructions is the mounting of the unit under the dash.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

Ordered mine today from SGP. My dealer (in Canada) wanted $265 for it - our dollar is worth more right now!!!

So are there any other things needed - tools - materials - other than this kit?

You'll need a drill and a fairly large drill bit, if you want to follow the instructions to put the thing in your center console. And you'll need a screwdriver to pull the stereo off. Other than that, I can't think of any other tools I used on the install.

You'll need a drill and a fairly large drill bit, if you want to follow the instructions to put the thing in your center console. And you'll need a screwdriver to pull the stereo off. Other than that, I can't think of any other tools I used on the install.

Thanks. I guess the end of the dock connector is large then - interms of the drill bit size needed.. Now, if we can only rename that button from SAT to iPOD!

And it works with the Parrot Bluetooth I hear???

Also, is the bus connector it self that passes power to the iPod via the dock connector - it is not a wire that needs to be connected to a 12volt lighter socket is it?

Also, Also, what is the correct version of the apple firmware to have on your iPod - it did not mention anyting in the manual. Just the latest?

Actually, you don't pass the dock connector through the hole, but the other end of the wire, which is smaller and more cylindrical. The drill bit was kind of big though, it was actually one step larger than my largest bit.

Here's the hole:

http://www.neurosybir.net/nkoan/images/iPodInstall/IMG_2496.jpg

And the iPod charges through the dock connector. There is nothing extra you need to attach to the iPod to get it to charge.

I believe you will need the latest firmware for whatever iPod you have. I remember someone saying they had a problem with their iPod, and it was tracked down to not having the latest firmware.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the Impreza iPod integration kit this weekend. Absolutely love it. Finally got rid of the Belkin cigarette lighter mounting device. The dash is much cleaner and I believe the sound quality has improved as well. I had some concerns aout whether there would be any transmission noise and there is none that I can hear.

We've ordered an 08 LLB Outback and ordered the ipod integration kit through the dealer. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for SOA to start offering this as an option for the Legacys. I don't understand why it is available for the Impreza but not the Leggys... Oh well, the mysteries continue.

Since this goes through the Sat, I have to choose between satelite or ipod correct? Is there no way to have both?

Yes, you have to choose. No one has yet figured out a way to do both through the factory head unit.

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying this! Congrats jmfspecb!

I don't understand Subaru's thinking either. Where'd they get the idea adults don't like using iPods? :spin: :spin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't recall if anyone's mentioned it or even tried it yet but I can confirm that when using this kit and the steering wheel controls from the '07 and earlier models you can get the tracks to skip ahead and back using the up and down arrows next to the "mode" button.

I was hoping they'd have some control.

I'll try holding the buttons down to see if they FF or rewind soon.

Cheers!

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't see it when I first noticed the thread, but one valuable note when installing this in the Legacy is that, opposite to the WRX, when removing the center stack trim, one starts at the bottom-rear and works up. Trying to remove the trim next to the HU first is an excercise in injury and futility. Starting with the armrest and working forward is easy.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I don't recall if anyone's mentioned it or even tried it yet but I can confirm that when using this kit and the steering wheel controls from the '07 and earlier models you can get the tracks to skip ahead and back using the up and down arrows next to the "mode" button.

I was hoping they'd have some control.

I'll try holding the buttons down to see if they FF or rewind soon.

Cheers!

-Ian

Steering wheel track advance controls only skip tracks. Pressing and holding has no effect.

Archived