LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE:

Anyone else get the new firmware for the Ipod Classic?

Mine now has 2 new things, 1 good one bad.

The good first. The new firmware will SHOW the track and artist in the "subaru connected" area! yay!

The bad is that it does NOT stop when the car is turned off. It continues to play the current playlist...

Anyone else have this happen?

Yes, there's another thread that folks have been talking about this issue. It's in here somewhere.

Edit: OK, I was wrong in the fact that it was the new nano firmware...

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79507

I'm pretty sure my iPod's aren't affected as they're all too old! :lol: :lol:

I installed mine last weekend and ended up running the cable up over the steering wheel over to the fuse pannel box. I figured that would be a safe hiding spot from people with sticky fingers...

+1 on the lockability by putting it in the glovebox. You will also have more play to pull the cord out when plugging the unit it, I have very limited play with it in the center console, so it is a little bit of a PITA to get the thing connected -- just a small issue, as you will not be able to control the iPod from the click wheel once its connected, so there is little need to have a lot of play in the cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian-

I want to confirm that I understand this correctly. I have an 06 LGT Ltd Wagon w/sub. I have been checking out the Jazzy, Clean Sweep, RF set ups for the ipod, but like this set up the best. If I want to use my iphone/ipod in my car I must purchase the following:

1) 07 HU part #86201AG67A

2) Ipod integration kit

Then remove old HU and replace with 07 HU and just plug everything in? Or is there wire clipping, pin changes, and other things that I must do? I dont care about the "aux in," just the ipod integration kit. Will my factory subwoofer plug right into the new HU and still work? You might have gone over this already, but its costly and I want to have all q's answered first.

Thanks, Sean

Great news all!!!!

I got the kit yesterday and installed it, along with my '07 HU this afternoon and initial driveway test shows that it works!!! ;)

Joon - Sorry to say that it will not work with the '05 HU as there was no bus plug in port on the back of the HU.

I haven't gone through all the functions described in the guide for controlling the iPod but I was able to scroll through a few of my playlists.

Also, I didn't get it mounted to my liking. I've got the little control box sitting on top of the HU with some tape holding it in place. Nor did I route the iPod hook up cable to my liking. I'll probably do as the install instructions describe and drill a hole in one of the center console cubby's. I need to get back in there though as I've got a bluetooth kit coming to install as well. I just couldn't wait to see if it worked.

Cheers!

-Ian

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

Ian-

I want to confirm that I understand this correctly. I have an 06 LGT Ltd Wagon w/sub. I have been checking out the Jazzy, Clean Sweep, RF set ups for the ipod, but like this set up the best. If I want to use my iphone/ipod in my car I must purchase the following:

1) 07 HU part #86201AG67A

2) Ipod integration kit

Then remove old HU and replace with 07 HU and just plug everything in? Or is there wire clipping, pin changes, and other things that I must do? I dont care about the "aux in," just the ipod integration kit. Will my factory subwoofer plug right into the new HU and still work? You might have gone over this already, but its costly and I want to have all q's answered first.

Thanks, Sean

Sean,

Yes, get that HU (if you can find one) and the iPod integration kit for the new Impreza's. Plug them in and be happy.

The HU's are really hard to find IF there are even any available in the US any more. You may have to try and find a wrecked '07 car to pull it out of.

No wire clipping, pin changes or anything to get these to work together and with your car. OEM sub plugs right in as well. ;)

Good luck and happy motoring!

Cheers!

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...
I installed it on my wife's 08 3.0 LL Bean OBW. Works fine. It is simple to do yourself. The dealer didn't want to do it b/c it isn't a leggie/OB specific product... Takes all of 45min if you are slow.

Just thought I would pass this along: the ipod interface is being sold on eBay for $105 with free shipping. I just bought one. Check out item #250223118133

Civilization has brought Evolution to a screeching halt

2007 Legacy GT auto

1989 Turbo Trans AM

1987 Buick Grand National

1983 DeLorean (Buick turbo transplant)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got my P-204UH and the iPod kit yesterday. I ordered it on 2/26 from 1stsubaru.com. What took so long to get the HU was that apparently there were only 2 left in the country and Subaru has "holds" on these for a radio exchange program(so i was told). So dealers cant readily order up these units. In order to get it I had to call Subaru Customer Care and tell them I had already placed an order and to please release it... I think being extra nice helped a little.;)

So I got it yesterday afternoon and went to town taking out my old HU and replacing it with the P-204UH and iPod kit. Everything just plugged right in and I am very pleased with the results. I want to thank everyone who has provided dash removal instructions, info on the HU and kit, and those who helped me finally get this equipment shipped!:)

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

Well I finally got my P-204UH and the iPod kit yesterday. I ordered it on 2/26 from 1stsubaru.com. What took so long to get the HU was that apparently there were only 2 left in the country and Subaru has "holds" on these for a radio exchange program(so i was told). So dealers cant readily order up these units. In order to get it I had to call Subaru Customer Care and tell them I had already placed an order and to please release it... I think being extra nice helped a little.;)

So I got it yesterday afternoon and went to town taking out my old HU and replacing it with the P-204UH and iPod kit. Everything just plugged right in and I am very pleased with the results. I want to thank everyone who has provided dash removal instructions, info on the HU and kit, and those who helped me finally get this equipment shipped!:)

Sweet!

Glad to hear you were able to get one of these elusive stereo's. Hopefully they'll make more!

Enjoy!

Cheers!

-Ian

What is the total cost involved to get the head unit and the ipod interface? About $500?

That sounds about right with the price folks have been finding the interface kit on Ebay lately. If you want to add shipping I'd figure no more than $600 for sure.

What is the total cost involved to get the head unit and the ipod interface? About $500?

Yeah you're looking at around 500 to get the head unit and ipod kit. The head units are a little hard to get, but I am completely happy with the results. There are less costly alternatives i.e. the Jazzy kit which work fine. I like this set up because it "integrates the ipod/iphone into the head unit like it was factory, music turns off when car is shut off, and the display shows what you are listening to. Plus it is all plug and play.

• 4 weeks later...
Quick question about sound levels with the kit. I've noticed that it seems like my subwoofer doesn't hit quite as hard when using my ipod in comparison to the radio and CDs. Has anyone else noticed anything like that with their system? I'm running an LOC off the rear speakers to an amp, which is powering the subwoofer.

Quick question about sound levels with the kit. I've noticed that it seems like my subwoofer doesn't hit quite as hard when using my ipod in comparison to the radio and CDs. Has anyone else noticed anything like that with their system? I'm running an LOC off the rear speakers to an amp, which is powering the subwoofer.

not me, but I have the stock under seat sub running off the HD that doesnt hit that hard anyways.:)

I've noticed this as well. I've got the factory under-the-driver-seat sub. I don't actually listen to my iPod in the car much so I just adjust the settings when I need to.

You guys are the best. I just bought an '08 Outback (my first Subaru!) and was disappointed that the iPod kit wasn't offered. After reading this thread I'm going to try my hand at installing the Impreza kit, since my stereo is XM-capable but I don't have (nor want) XM radio.

I'll probably run it to the glove box, since I like its lockability ;-). I already ordered the part and will install it when it comes in.

Wish me luck!

Try disabling all EQ on the iPod, that helped me. I can tell there is EQ on an iPod connecting to my system instantly.

Archived