LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the deal, the July updates to the Edge iPhone make it incompatible with the charging by the integration unit. I confirmed this with my Edge iPhone with the updates and with an unupdated Edge iPhone.

The G3 will also not charge according to several sources. Surfing the net someone else, a tech guy, also mentioned the issue with the G3 iPhone in a different vehicle. It's got something to do with the voltage it is expecting, and Apple changed the requirements for some reason. It seems to be a software issue, because they somehow changed it in the updates for the Edge iPhone too.

Amazingly, I found another unupdated Edge iPhone at the office, owned by a coworker, but it would not work in my car at all for some reason. (It is being updated right now, so no more testing is possible-- me and my big mouth). The only other Edge iPhone I can get my hands on has been updated, but I will try it soon just to confirm.

So, unless someone feels comfortable hacking the Subaru Integration unit and figuring out which pin need the different voltage and how to get it, don't get the July update for your iPhone if you want it to charge. I hope someone figures out how to hack either integration unit or the iPhone becuase this is ridiculous situation.

Same thing with the touch. It used to charge and play with the 1.0 firmware, now it just charges or plays after the 1.1 update last Jan.

I don't believe this is a problem with the subaru unit, but a change in the ipod touch/iphone firmware which is preventing charging and playing at the same time.

/also, I could be totally wrong, but that's my guess from what I've seen with my touch.

Hello,

Having just ordered my legacy outback diesel (in Belgium), I've read through all 20 pages of this thread and I understand that the iPod integration kit for the impreza works for the P-204UH standard radio with 6 slot cd changer.

However the car that I have ordered has the optional sattelite navigation system with the in dash DVD player.

I don't know the reference code for this radio.

Can someone confirm if the iPod connector will or will not work with this radio please ?

I only have a crappy picture of the radio, if it would be of any help I can always pop by the dealer and get a better one....

http://www.igrf.be/foto/ob.jpg

Thanks a lot in advance,

Greg

I don't know that it will. It works through the satellite radio input and I don't see a SAT on that far right button (AM/FM/DISC/AUX). You should be able to use the AUX though and plug in your iPod with that.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I would like to hookup an ipod to my 07 Legacy GT, I just want to confirm that this will work on my car before I order it and that it adds more functionality than the AUX input.

Do it! So much better than straight AUX input. As stated elsewhere in this thread, you get alot more. Scrolling text is a plus in addition to charging my nano while it's docked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Same thing with the touch. It used to charge and play with the 1.0 firmware, now it just charges or plays after the 1.1 update last Jan.

I don't believe this is a problem with the subaru unit, but a change in the ipod touch/iphone firmware which is preventing charging and playing at the same time.

/also, I could be totally wrong, but that's my guess from what I've seen with my touch.

I recently got a new 4G nano and it is plagued by the same charging issues that the other newish iDevices are. Seems that Apple has removed Firewire charging capabilities and with it ability to charge with 12V power supply.

I assume that Subaru will soon be turning out a new iPot kit that will be compatible or maybe someone can make a power adapter to move pins into the right place (?) - I'm looking at you electrical engineers ;)

Word to the wise don't sell your old iPod BEFORE you upgrade just yet.

Where can I get one of these!

You can pay an arm and a leg for the kit at your stealership, or you can only pay an arm online. OR, you can set up an eBay watch for it, and only pay $55 like I did. :rolleyes:

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can pay an arm and a leg for the kit at your stealership' date=' or you can only pay an arm online. OR, you can set up an eBay watch for it, and only pay $55 like I did. :rolleyes:[/quote']

He's looking for the iPot kit not the iPod kit. :lol: :lol: ;)

Maybe our friend from Belgium can zip over to Amsterdam and pick us up a few! :lol::eek:;)

I just read through the entire thread, and I'm thinking about getting a used 05 outback wagon. Is the 07 head unit (assuming I could find one) an easy swap into an '05?

It looks like swapping an '07 radio + the ipod kit is running about $500

A cheaper option would be a JL Cleansweep + ipod cable + proclip = $300 assuming you buy all new parts. A used cleansweep is easy to find.

The ipod will be up high so it'll be easy to read the screen and if you use the cable I linked to below it'll charge it as well. All the benefits of the '07 swap with money left over to buy a new ipod.

http://www.beachaudio.com/Metra/Aip-Rca-p-125339.html

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&ProductID=19300

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.asp

• 3 months later...

UPDATE!

The iPod Integration Kit discussed in this thread is intended to work with the new ('08+) Impreza. Although, I and many others have found it also works with the stereo in the '07 (and I believe '08's too) Legacy.

There is now an iPod Integration Kit made specifically for the Legacy that is said to work on all '07+ models with Satellite Radio compatible head units. Please read more in the thread I have linked below.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103817

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived