LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are talking about the Subaru it, it was an option. BUT it uses your Sat input, so you can't keep both. It's also a little pricey IMO and doesn't charge 3g+ iPhones IIRC.

As for the Sat radio setup, you can check out Fred Beans for a new price (last I checked they are in the $300+ range). Or you can check out the for sale forum on here. I posted up a wanted to buy for one when I bought my car.

I found someone who had XM preinstalled when they bought their car and didn't want the service. They simply took out the unit and antenna and sold it to me. I paid much less than retail and they made a few bucks. Win/Win

Also a good way to get a cheap OEM sub, I have one from an '06 WRX in my LGT. Fit great, plug & play with slight wiring mods to the sub harness.

So just for clarification... this will work on an 09 spec.b with the HK hu... ? Correct?

I dont have sat radio hooked up...

I believe the 08 and 09 have the same head unit, and i know ppl are using them on their 08's... I just couldnt remember off the top of my head if the HU's were in fact the same.

thanks!

• I Donated
Actually, the 08 and 09 headunits are different. The 08 was the P-204UH; the 09 was the P-206UH. With that said, all of these things work through the SAT connector on the headunit, which didn't change between 07 and 09, so for the purposes of iPod integration, there's essentially no difference.

I have the Subaru iPod interface on my P-204UH HU. Frankly, it's not very good. I use it with an old 60GB iPod Classic (now my "carPod") and it frequently seems to lose communication with the iPod. When this happens, you can't control the iPod at all. You then have to disconnect/reconnect the cable in order for it to start working again. Very annoying.

On top of that, the controls are hideous. The only thing you can reasonable select is a playlist... God help you if you decided to choose a specific artist or song. And it navigates the playlist choices so slowly, you basically press the up/down button on the HU and wait 1-3 seconds to move between playlists. Might sound minor, but it's really annoying while driving, and if you have more than a dozen playlists, you'll hate it. Of course, this is all my $.02 and YMMV.

This is true. It's not very quick. I know it defeats the purpose but if I absolutely have to hear something specific I simply unplug the iPod scroll to what I want, hit play and plug it back in.

Normally I just shuffle songs and skip ones I don't want to hear.

What's really happened is that in the last 5 years, as the iPod user interface has gone to full touch screen on almost all models, it's especially painful to have to use the Subaru iPod interface kit.

I've got the iPod connected via the interface kit, and an XM SkyFi2 connected to the aux. I'm thinking of reversing that, and getting the XM tuner module for the HU and putting the iPod via aux. The downside to that is the iPod must be visible in order to control it. So there are pros and cons to each solution.

Is the PAC Audio iPod interface faster than Subarus? That's one of my questions right now. I could tolerate the iPod controls if they were just more responsive.

• I Donated
It isn't instantaneous, but it seems to be better than your description. I have no concrete point of reference, but you're welcome to come up to Baltimore at some point if nobody who has used both ends up chiming in.

Is the PAC Audio iPod interface faster than Subarus? That's one of my questions right now. I could tolerate the iPod controls if they were just more responsive.

The PAC is real slow. If you press the next button two times in a row it will only do it once, it's annoying. I'm going to switch my PAC audio back to using the iPod interface since it's obviously a lot faster (and easier).

coredump - I currently have the set up you are considering switching to. I have factory XM and use an iPod interface cable that has a usb and 3.5mm audio jack.

This is much more convienent that plugging a charger into the interface then a aux cable into the headphone jack (my old set up). Amazon finally has these cables available fairly cheap (<$10 IIRC) Mine works great, but I don't use it every day either.

I primarily listen to XM. I will use the iPhone/Pod on long trips, but then I usually have the wife DJ.

One downside to consider is that you are limited to 10? characters on your XM display. VERY annoying when you want a full song name, or artist. You also only get one line of data. So you stuck with song name, artist etc... You also can't "direct dial" channels. You have to scroll through categories then to channels, or straight through the channels. However you can program 3 sets of 6 channels for a total of 18.

I beleive I saw some bluetooth remotes for the iPhone. That may be an option if you use the iPhone for music alot. You could drop it in your console, then use the remote to control it. I'm sure it would be more responsive than current options.

• 1 year later...
What's really happened is that in the last 5 years, as the iPod user interface has gone to full touch screen on almost all models, it's especially painful to have to use the Subaru iPod interface kit.

I've got the iPod connected via the interface kit, and an XM SkyFi2 connected to the aux. I'm thinking of reversing that, and getting the XM tuner module for the HU and putting the iPod via aux.

I have a Sirius tuner connected to the aux-in (I put a '07 head-unit into my '06 car) and I'd now like to put an iPod in for music (so I don't have to mess with plastic media anymore). I was thinking just to get an A/B switch to switch the Sirius and iPod into my aux-in, but that seems clumsy.

It seems like the best solution would be to somehow create a second aux-in using the satellite-radio connector on the h/u. How hard could it be ?

Archived