LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the coolest thing ever! I thought I was screwed when it came to doing custom stereo work in my Legacy, especially since my iPod is pretty much attached to me at all times...

goneskiian... Thank you so much for the info!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

cowtipper - About the only parts of the Impreza instructions I followed where the plugging in of the integration kit cables. Everything else is pretty model specific. Excpept maybe drilling the hole in your cubby (which I've yet to do)! :lol: :lol: ;)

grbspecb - Yes, the text scrolls. You have to hit the "Text" button though.

JDMChizad - I hear you brotha! You're welcome. I've been slowly accumulating the parts and the nerve to take it into a stereo shop for the last 6 months! This little kit got me off my butt because I can plug 'n play. Solder, crimp and tap? No, thanks! :lol: :lol: ;)

DiscoWagon - Well...the bus cable (part E in the installation manual) is actually a "Y" cable that you can use to plug anything that was directly plugged into the bus port of the radio (sorry, pics to come). I didn't have anything to plug into it though. I would assume that's where the satellite radio plugs in but you can't use them in parrallel so I don't know what else you'd plug in there. :confused: :confused: :spin:

Keep the questions coming I'll try to answer as best as I can. Sorry about the lack of pictures. I'll be leaving town this time next week so I hope to have the pictures up by then. If not, maybe fernely, sebberry or dmiller5 can help you out. ;-)

Cheers!

-Ian

OK, here's the other pictures I promised.

1: Where I located the iPod integration unit. Right on top of the HU. Fastened with some duct tape! I would have used some double sided tape but didn't have any. :lol:;)

This placement does make getting the HU back into the dash a little difficult. There is lot's more space under the HU but I've got a Parrot bluetooth kit (and it's associated crapload of wires) located there.

2: Said iPod integration unit.

3: Connections on side of integration unit.

4: 20 (?) pin female bus connector on end of integration unit cable.

5: 20 pin male bus connector that goes into the HU.

6: 12 pin male plug that goes into the integration unit.

7: The underside of the very aft portion of the center console. The yellow and black wires are attached to the underside of the 12v outlet in the armrest cubby.

8: Where I cut a hole in the cubby to feed the iPod dock cable into the cubby. It's about an inch and a half up from the bottom and right at the edge of where the corner starts to curve. The integration kit comes with a little plug that fills in the hole and holds the cable in place so it doesn't slide in and out. Sorry forgot to take a pic of that. ;)

9: The "Y" cabe that comes with the integration kit. With 20 pin male and female plugs and a male 12 pin.

10: What's under the center console just aft of the shifter (which is covered in a red rag to protect the face of the HU during removal).

Let me know if there are any further picture requests!

Cheers!

-Ian

P9130002.jpg.99f4972260b6c6abf244ea8df0285023.jpg

P9130005.jpg.cf71839da9b86ad922c5656bdc56e126.jpg

P9130006.jpg.5e0edc5f952d16648091c3d4d024b4bc.jpg

P9130008.jpg.f488b13182aa1b8e8ca35ad222b5c2ce.jpg

P9130009.jpg.00decd5078870620f6e43dc07335bd62.jpg

P9130012.jpg.b475dc709beb3a19ac5e0dc7910060b8.jpg

P9130015.thumb.jpg.1ca6d68128336602e5d6a743e2b4ddf2.jpg

P9130016.jpg.06f7012b74248d6f998cd3dfb40f0e57.jpg

P9130007.jpg.39989a04020fa22275ccf6100366d60e.jpg

P9130014.jpg.7c1a7319b7597942e5ff521b240a7ed3.jpg

Ok, I'm confused...

Pic 3 (Ipod Integration Unit) shows an 8 pin circular connector and a 12 pin rectangular connector.

Pic 6 shows the 12 pin female connector that goes to the IIU. What's at the other end of this plug? Is it Pic 4? Is that a piggyback connector that plugs into the HU and then the main cable from the car plugs into that?

Which cable plugs into the iPod?

Pic 9 is a Y cable, with the connector on the left being the one that appears to go to the console bin, but it looks too short?

What plugs into the 6 pin round connector?

I'll save Ian the time...

sebberry - The answers to both of your questions are in the user manual which can be downloaded from page 1 of this thread. :rtfm::lol:;)

But in this case it's the installation manual. The iPod cable itself gets connected to the round connection.

:)

Yup Joon is correct, 5 minutes of studying the installation shows that the circular 8-pin jack is from cable C that is the cable you connect your IPOD to. Now I just wonder what kind of IPOD jack they are using. I hope it is compatible with my gen 3 b&w

The big change after the gen 3 ipods was the amount of amps, so i'm hoping that it'll actually charge my ipod and not drain it over time. Although with the new release of ipods, maybe the prices for the older ones will go down. I do like the clickless design of it.

My kit probably won't be here for another week. :( Can't wait to see how well it works.

sebberry - Joon's got it. Sorry I neglected to take a picture of the cable that connects the iPod to the integration unit. I've got to take it all apart again anyway as I can't get the damn bluetooth kit to turn on.

The iPod plug is the standard dock connector they've used for a long time.

I don't know about the gen 3 though. The user manual only shows 4th gen and newer as being compatible.

Wow! Look at this thread explode! :D

goneskiian, thanks for a lot of the legwork.

Just an update for Fernely and me. Our 'test' harness came in and Fernely is going to try it on his 08 SpecB tonite.

Once thats confirmed it works, I'll try it on my 08 2.5i.

:lol: Installed it this morning works fine. Just make sure you have the correct software version in your iPod. that info can be found on the 1st post in the user manual. It comes with a little pocket guide to help you navigate the ipod from your HU. The metadata scrolls which is awesome.

There is about a second delay from pressing something on the HU to something actually happening no big deal. One neat thing is the kit comes with an overlay for the MY08 Impreza HU

In summary it works just fine folks go out and buy them up before the rest of the Subaru Community figures this out then the damn thing will be on backorder for months!

What's the part number for the compatable 07 head unit?

cowtipper - About the only parts of the Impreza instructions I followed where the plugging in of the integration kit cables. Everything else is pretty model specific. Excpept maybe drilling the hole in your cubby (which I've yet to do)! :lol: :lol: ;)

grbspecb - Yes, the text scrolls. You have to hit the "Text" button though.

JDMChizad - I hear you brotha! You're welcome. I've been slowly accumulating the parts and the nerve to take it into a stereo shop for the last 6 months! This little kit got me off my butt because I can plug 'n play. Solder, crimp and tap? No, thanks! :lol: :lol: ;)

DiscoWagon - Well...the bus cable (part E in the installation manual) is actually a "Y" cable that you can use to plug anything that was directly plugged into the bus port of the radio (sorry, pics to come). I didn't have anything to plug into it though. I would assume that's where the satellite radio plugs in but you can't use them in parrallel so I don't know what else you'd plug in there. :confused: :confused: :spin:

Keep the questions coming I'll try to answer as best as I can. Sorry about the lack of pictures. I'll be leaving town this time next week so I hope to have the pictures up by then. If not, maybe fernely, sebberry or dmiller5 can help you out. ;-)

Cheers!

-Ian

goneskiian posted pics of the rear, top, and front of his 2007 HU (model P-204UH) in this post in the "Anyone get the Sirius tuner?" thread.

(Thanks, Ian!)

So the iPod integration kit plugs into the 20-pin sat/nav connector on the back of the HU (black socket, at lower right side).

Archived