LegacyGT.com

GI: Custom Valentine 1 Housing

dmiller5

So I have been working on this design. It was originally intended for a boost housing. I decided this was an excellent spot for the valentine 1 concealed display. This I designed myself and had fabricated by our manufacturing department. This is a prototype, a real version would be done in black ABS plastic or something similar so it would match the LGT interior. I also am considering downsizing it so it will take up less space.

So opinions are welcome and be honest. If interested please also let me know. I am definitely going to make one for myself but I just dont know if anyone else is interested. It would be much cheaper to do more than 1 as you can imagine.

See attached images.

SEE POST #18 FOR FINAL V2 PICS

1.jpg.35b20203c67423cc7da9d9eb706b3c8d.jpg

2.jpg.eb07dca99204a3092c3324bf13cec32e.jpg

3.jpg.6af67c8051bf4ec6306690cb3c8dfbf5.jpg

4.jpg.529379dfd2acfa5cd65ecdad6add8d4b.jpg

5.jpg.baab0c60561e833e0e68e9c00509456d.jpg

6.jpg.aea6894d68411fce5199e13a25b18987.jpg

7.jpg.21527fae33e8cfa2163a17215139e3fc.jpg

8.jpg.38582c630180c92eb70edcfd1800fa0c.jpg

Yea I am thinking about that. The reason I have so much extra space on one side is to accommodate the wire. I am not sure how much space I need as I have a modified version of the concealed display so I can't go off mine.

Does anyone have one they might loan me or sell me cheaply so I can figure that out?

If you're looking to minimize the amount of material in the block, check out the guy on ebay who sells a modified, slimmer version of the Valentine remote display itself. The back of the case is gone and the PCB is covered with epoxy resin. Just a thought.
ignore him, he'll go away.

I might have an extra housing laying around.. I destroyed the innards of one when I was making this: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61800

I'll look for it and let you know.

That would be fantastic. Let me know. Attached are some notes I made for adjustments. I think I can reduce the height, depth and width some. By the looks of it I can make it not block anything at all or slightly block the MPG (less than it is currently)

9.jpg.056c657216cf667e68ecccd7d8105e48.jpg

I probably won't be mass producing these as there seems to be little interest. But I will probably be ordering a few in case anyone else wants one (that and there is a minimum order #). I will be receiving sample materials tomorrow from the company and hopefully can submit an order tomorrow. Oh and I have redesigned it to be about 30-40% smaller.

^^ Essentially that is exactly what my piece is, except that it fits the contour of the dash below the gauge cluster instead of replacing the whole unit. The overall price would skyrocket because of the limited number of pieces that would be produced. My new design just accommodates the V1 and doesn't leave room for much else.

Ok. I'm interested to see how it comes out, and possibly going in on the buy depending on price. Do you have any pics of the new design? What would be the prices of this?

-John

^^ Essentially that is exactly what my piece is, except that it fits the contour of the dash below the gauge cluster instead of replacing the whole unit. The overall price would skyrocket because of the limited number of pieces that would be produced. My new design just accommodates the V1 and doesn't leave room for much else.

^^ I submitted my design yesterday to the manufacturer. They are sending me some sample materials so I can choose. I would prefer to not have to paint it so I am leaning towards a black ABS plastic material. I should get materials tomorrow.

Ok so here is the smaller design. I reduced it to

2.6"x1.2"x.7"

W x H x D

Overall the height drops ~.4" , the width drops ~1.5", the depth drops ~.4"

So overall much smaller and compact. Designed specifically for the V1 concealed display. You will have to modify the input from the V1 on the circuit board to make it fit. That is why the older version had the extra Width, to accommodate for the input. This version does not as I have a modified version that makes the input come out the back instead of the side.

Untitled.jpg.9c152246e77e2c8f04d3f8f0f27f20d0.jpg

• 1 month later...
Update...

Here is the finished Version 2. It is much smaller, is more stealthy, and fits the dash perfectly. I have 2 more if anyone is interested. Also if anyone wants Version 1 I have that for sale as well.

Looks nice. How much?

I'll sell the smaller one for $50 each. Note, the v1 concealed display must be modified so the rj plug faces the rear not the side. This is how I cut the size to a bare minimum. The larger white one doesn't need the concealed display to be modified, hence it's larger size. I will get rid of it for $30.

I'll sell the smaller one for $50 each. Note, the v1 concealed display must be modified so the rj plug faces the rear not the side. This is how I cut the size to a bare minimum. The larger white one doesn't need the concealed display to be modified, hence it's larger size. I will get rid of it for $30.

i think ill take ur small one

Archived