LegacyGT.com

iPod Integration Kit

Wedge

So, I just tried the install and ran into a few issues with my OBW (08, AT). I used to do a lot to my TDI but am relatively inexperienced on a Subi. A few questions:

1. Is there such a thing as a Bentley for the OBW? I hate working on things without exploded views as to what's going on. None of that Chilton BS.

2. What is the proper sequence of removal of the trim if I'm putting the ipod in the glovebox? It appears that you need to remove the AT shifter bezel before you remove the side trim (the wood grain stuff) as the side trim appears to fit under the shifter bezel closest to the e-brake. Is this the case? BTW, the stuff breaks easily...I hope its cheap.

3. What is the safest way to remove the side trim? I started at the top but I think I screwed it up by not removing the shifter trim first, for the reason stated above.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ryan

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Chrome shifter trim ring, just pull it up gently.

2. Plastic trim panel. PRNDL section (inside of the chrome trim ring does not remove). Carefully remove the outer section. It is held on with agressive clips. The back edge is sharp. Be careful not to scratch/cut/tear the front of the console or brake lever boot. You may want to tape them off with masking tape to prevent damage.

3. One screw for each wood grain panel.

4. Remove wood grain panels starting from rear. Take care to not lose the little plastic clips. Also use care to prevent scratching boot/console.

5. Remove screws for radio and then the radio.

So I tried doing this install last week and had a heck of a time getting the stereo out... finally ran out of time and had to reassemble everything without having successfully completed the install.

I got stuck with the last step-- getting the stereo out. I have the manual Climate Control, and could not get the climate controls separated from the radio. I removed the four screws, but the darn thing just didn't want to come out.

Any hints for getting the manual CC controls separated from the stereo? That was the only thing preventing the thing from coming out.

Thanks in advance! I'm hoping to tackle this thing again in a few days when the temperatures come back down (no fun performing manual labor in a car in 95-degree-plus weather!).

1. Chrome shifter trim ring, just pull it up gently.

2. Plastic trim panel. PRNDL section (inside of the chrome trim ring does not remove). Carefully remove the outer section. It is held on with agressive clips. The back edge is sharp. Be careful not to scratch/cut/tear the front of the console or brake lever boot. You may want to tape them off with masking tape to prevent damage.

3. One screw for each wood grain panel.

4. Remove wood grain panels starting from rear. Take care to not lose the little plastic clips. Also use care to prevent scratching boot/console.

5. Remove screws for radio and then the radio.

Thanks for this thread! I just installed mine in about an hour with a couple of smoke breaks and a beer. I mounted it on top of the HU for convenience sake. This way, there was no need to remove all the connectors in the back to install the unit. Some industrial velcro wrapped it up.

As usual I forgot to plug the hazard light back in and had to repeat the removal/installation. Grrr I do this everytime!

Props to www.subarugenuineparts.com for a good deal and quick ground shipping.

So I tried doing this install last week and had a heck of a time getting the stereo out... finally ran out of time and had to reassemble everything without having successfully completed the install.

I got stuck with the last step-- getting the stereo out. I have the manual Climate Control, and could not get the climate controls separated from the radio. I removed the four screws, but the darn thing just didn't want to come out.

Any hints for getting the manual CC controls separated from the stereo? That was the only thing preventing the thing from coming out.

Thanks in advance! I'm hoping to tackle this thing again in a few days when the temperatures come back down (no fun performing manual labor in a car in 95-degree-plus weather!).

Check out this post I made for someone else. Hopefully you haven't been running around with a radio hanging by a cable and blue shielding.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1875146&postcount=10

Only if you have a separate real-time map for your tune. Most tunes do not require a separate real-time map. If you've flashed a base map for your tune, it will populate the real-time map.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I tried it with my roommates back in the day. It says its unsupported and the iPhone asks you to switch to airplane mode. Choose yes or no (doesn't really matter) and you can still get music to play.

I have no clue what happens when you get a call though.

Yeah, I tried it with my roommates back in the day. It says its unsupported and the iPhone asks you to switch to airplane mode. Choose yes or no (doesn't really matter) and you can still get music to play.

I have no clue what happens when you get a call though.

Sounds like there is hope. I'll borrow a friend's iPhone and test this weekend. I'll report back..

I have used the adapter with my iphone on my sister's car. When you get a call, the music stops and you hear your ringtone. I just answered it and spoke like I normally would. When the call was over, the music picked up where it left off. It is like listening through headphones when someone calls.

Also, I got that warning about airplane mode. I never heard any interference.

I have used the adapter with my iphone on my sister's car. When you get a call, the music stops and you hear your ringtone. I just answered it and spoke like I normally would. When the call was over, the music picked up where it left off. It is like listening through headphones when someone calls.

Also, I got that warning about airplane mode. I never heard any interference.

Thanks for the first hand report. I'll test the 3g version this weekend after the lines thin out.

After my initial test, the major flaw is the subaru iPod kit does not charge the iphone and it does ask you to turn the phone off before connecting. I will say right now, that it's not an optimal solution. Battery life is pretty weak, so not being able to charge while in use is a deal breaker. My Nano just became a dedicated mp3 player for my car.

I'll do more testing once I get the rest of the phone setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the integration kit in an 07HU. My iPhone won't charge either. My iPhone has been a little abused, so I am going to try my sister's. If it doesn't charge that will be unfortunate as it does charge an iPod. http://www.subaru.com/ipod/faq.jsp

Also, has anyone else tried using Apple's base that the iPhone came with in the car. I was hoping to integrate the base so I could just set the iPhone down in it, rather than having to deal with the wire everytime, but my iPhone won't work with the base attached to the Subaru kit.

--------

Robert

4: 20 (?) pin female bus connector on end of integration unit cable.

5: 20 pin male bus connector that goes into the HU.

6: 12 pin male plug that goes into the integration unit.

I wonder if I could buy just the adapter cable. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of pinout these cables are? Is there any technical documentation that might tell us? I would love to be able to utilize the stock radio's LCD and navigation for a car PC...

I am using the old iPhone. Mine will not charge in the car. My dad's will, his is an old one too. I don't know if his has the lastest software updates, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I will try my sister's soon.

Robert

Archived