LegacyGT.com

Aczwild's '96 Legacy GT Project Car...

Aczwild

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found this thread- VERY interested in the progress.

Wondering if using a EJ22T Longblock is a possible solution to the possible future EJ25 Head gasket concern in my 01 Forester?

BTW: I may know where a complete 93? Legacy Turbo AT sedan is....pretty clean & complete (full driver condition) & probably available. (Unsure on price)

Anyone willing to pay a finders fee to help out w/ my Forester project?;)

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been researching for my rebuild (Just doing the standard closed deck 2L) and the aussi's have been doing some very cool things. Like in NZ, the EJ22T is an extremely rare engine, and some are taking closed deck EJ20's, boring them out and sleeving them to make em EJ22's. Turns out the EJ22 NA and T both use the standard 2L crank and rods, and just use a larger bore. 96.9mm over 92mm. Going the sleeved CDEJ20 option should be easier to find bits for, but is only a little stronger, and a whole lot more expensive than scoring a CDEJ22T.

At any rate, go the 22's, my favorite subie engines for sure ;)

Oh, yeah. Read every damn post on this thread Aczwild. There's some very good info in there.

Got the block cleaned up yet?
I wont be taking the block apart until I am ready to get everything machined because I dont want any chance of rust, dings etc on the insides of the block. Right now its sitting on a skid completely sealed up and oiled.

As for any progress, there has been none, its still way to f'n cold out in the garage to do anything without risking breaking plastic pieces (taking out the dash), so I have been contacting various places to pick up new fenders, doors, front and rear bumpers, trunk, hood and a special front bumper, so I have everything ready to go when I take it to the body shop to get the front fixed, so every panel can be installed to make sure its straight and true

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I've just been researching for my rebuild (Just doing the standard closed deck 2L) and the aussi's have been doing some very cool things. Like in NZ, the EJ22T is an extremely rare engine, and some are taking closed deck EJ20's, boring them out and sleeving them to make em EJ22's. Turns out the EJ22 NA and T both use the standard 2L crank and rods, and just use a larger bore. 96.9mm over 92mm. Going the sleeved CDEJ20 option should be easier to find bits for, but is only a little stronger, and a whole lot more expensive than scoring a CDEJ22T.

At any rate, go the 22's, my favorite subie engines for sure ;)

Oh, yeah. Read every damn post on this thread Aczwild. There's some very good info in there.

Thanks, I'll register and get reading

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hehe, just waiting for it to warm up a bit, however I picked up a bunch of tools, equipment, etc to use on this project (we're talking somewhere close to 3K)

As of right now I'm trying to decide to invest in repairing the front, or finding another BD (or BG! :eek:) with a blown engine, but a good frame and zero rust (like this one). I need the car to be able to withstand the power, torque, cornering forces, etc and I'm really doubting that this current frame will be able to hold up or may produce some weird effects when on the track (remember the goal is to race this car on road courses). So I have been doing a lot of research for a southern car (I have one in sights right now) that will suit my needs.

This has dictated the fact I haven't purchased anything suspension wise because I am not 100% sure if it will be a sedan, or a monster wagon....

.... hopefully you can figure out which way I'm leaning http://images.nasioc.com/ubb-files/smilies/lildevil.gifhttp://images.nasioc.com/ubb-files/smilies/lildevil.gifhttp://images.nasioc.com/ubb-files/smilies/lildevil.gifhttp://images.nasioc.com/ubb-files/smilies/lildevil.gif

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

FYI: passed a 94 Legacy TURBO Sdn.for sale

Hello,

I passed a 94 Sdn, EJ22T, AT w/ 116K miles FS at a small used lot/ garage where we got our used 01 Forester L.

Blue met. decent LOOKING shape. Appears to be DailyDriver cond. versus a donor car.

Asking $3600.

Newly replaced AT

I'm not selling it, just passing along info.

Outside of Nazareth, PA .

- Mike

Previously joked: Anyone willing to pay a finders fee to help out w/ my Forester project?;)

Aczwild,

were you at KTP yesterday?

I thought about it (I gotta get a kayak) :lol::lol::lol: No it wasnt me

As for an update, I'm going ahead with the Sedan for now. I'll be able to do more adjustments on a sedan body and I can balance the car better. I am in the process of locating the right body shop to repair the front. Most likely next weekend I'll be pulling the dash to begin mocking up and measuring for the custom panels, EDFC unit, etc while I wait to get the frame back to normal.

It really, really doesnt help that I have my Spec now, I just dumped a good bit o $$ into her instead of the project :redface:

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I only just found out the EJ22T heads are only SOHC... You going to stick some EJ20T heads one there? 89 RS-RA heads, if you can find any (good luck), would suit it perfectly

FYI: passed a 94 Legacy TURBO Sdn.for sale

Hello,

I passed a 94 Sdn, EJ22T, AT w/ 116K miles FS at a small used lot/ garage where we got our used 01 Forester L.

Blue met. decent LOOKING shape. Appears to be DailyDriver cond. versus a donor car.

Asking $3600.

Newly replaced AT

I'm not selling it, just passing along info.

Outside of Nazareth, PA .

- Mike

Previously joked: Anyone willing to pay a finders fee to help out w/ my Forester project?;)

Not to hijack aczwild, but I am selling my sedan for $2k. here is the link with all the details. minimal rust, spare trans/wheel and tire set.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=34882

• 1 month later...

Muhahahaha

May 21, 2008

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01970.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01971.jpg

Oh man whats the car doing on a trailer???? Did he finally say forget it with the project? Is he giving up? Oh n03s!!!!!!

Well the car was loaded on the trailer destined for a body shop this weekend for a rough estimate for the repairs to the front end. Well that pretty much killed the project. 3-5K (more towards 5K) for just the frame work, no panels, paint, etc. :( Well I left the car on the trailer hoping to find a better estimate from a local Used Subaru dealer & body shop, the same shop that rebuilt Groff's engine (and the owner owns a '06 Spec B he rebuilt that has been modded, that was a fun conversation piece). If that estimate didnt go over well I was just going to haul the car to another place to strip the car down for parts....

.... Well I left the car with the body shop, price was awesome since they had a totaled vehicle with severe rear end damage, but a pristine front end and good front fenders, a "special" front bumper ;) and hood. Oh and its silver too, however that doesnt really matter since I'll be repainting the entire car after I stitch weld the entire chassis and fab the cage.

So about a month from now the car should be ready (I told them its no big rush). While I wait for it to come back in I'll start the cage design per rules and regs, layout the custom dash & begin to contact vendors.

THE PROJECT IS ON BIATCHES!

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

whats thats it! The story isn't over yet??? Ok ok ok, guess I'll subscribe and be waiting for the 'monthly issue' to see whats happening now. Can't wait to see the final product!

Archived