LegacyGT.com

Aczwild's '96 Legacy GT Project Car...

Aczwild

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update August 20, 2007:

Well not much has changed with the front of the car. Hopefully it will be going in within the next month to get the front end fixed and ready to accept the transmission and engine. A few parts have come in, the Primitive Rally Vent and Scoop, which I absolutely love. I know you might think its ricey, but in person it just looks badass and it will flow a lot better when its blended into the roof. Check the pixors below, oh and please ignore the stupid web address written across my windshield, my retarded cousin from CA wrote it the other day while I raped my knuckles disassembling the brakes…

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01605.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01606.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01607.jpg

And here is the vent. Its pretty sweet, you simply push the black bar forwards, or back to open the vent to allow air to come into the cockpit, or to vent the car.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01608.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01609.jpg

And, for the package that came in today from Hong Kong (it took two days to get here and was wrapped in the most bubble wrap I have ever seen to protect them, I highly recommend ordering from keithtau on ebay, I’ve bought all of my JDM stuff from him, with nary a problem ever). These are the JDM Projector Headlights, that will either be receiving a retro HID setup, or the Apexcone HID kit from xenon expert. The problem therein lies with the fact that JDM headlights are set up for LHD cars, that drive on the opposite side of the road, so they are aimed differently, which over here means they will be aimed directly at the oncoming drivers with the brightest portion of the light. I’ll have to aim them as far right as I can, but with the HID kit, it would mean, as others have said before on other boards, that you would simply blind the shit out of on coming drivers due to the cut off of the JDM lenses. By going with a retro HID mount, the lens will be replaced, but it will mean that I have to open up the headlights and risk screwing up them and having to buy them all over again (and at $212 for the set shipped, I don’t really want to take that chance)…

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01612.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01610.jpg

As for the “Special Contact” that I made, well you may have gotten a hint above by a business card on the seat, but here is who I have been talking to…

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/CIMG1434.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/CIMG1433.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/CIMG1435.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/CIMG1436.jpg

Yep, the boys at Vermont Sports Car, the very same ones responsible for Pastrana’s Rally Cars which is pictured above along with some others (Ken Block, etc.). I have been talking with them about the Cage and the modifications that they feel are necessary. I have to call back up there to set up an appointment for a one on one with the owner on getting everything to spec and what my best options are for the cage and the drivetrain.

As for the engine I have pretty much come to a conclusion on what I’m gonna do with it and what I’m going to be using for the internals. I just need to do more research on what turbo I want to use. I have sourced pretty much all of the parts for the car, from the ECU to the racing harnesses and have one hell of a detailed list. All I will tell you now about the engine is, oh I don’t know, Bored and Stroked…

Up next will be buying the replacement body panels and getting the car in to get the front repaired. I’m having such a hard time deciding when to pull the engine out of the turbo because I’m having so much fun driving that car, but it will have to be done soon…

As for an up to date parts list;

Exterior:

JDM Projector Headlights

JDM Tail Lights

JDM Clear Sidemarkers

Primitive Rally Roof Scoop

Primitive Rally Vent

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Completion date, well I have a few hopeful dates in mind, or should I say events, but I'm not going to hurry through building this car by cutting corners, or buying parts that arent exactly what I want, that I will eventually sell to buy the right things.

As for an update on then car, I'm hoping to get her to the body shop next week, but its no guarantee yet. Once its up there, I'm gonna finally bite the bullet and pull the 22T engine from the other legacy and tear it down. I'm also going to pull the rear diff from the '91 since it should be the limited slip diff offered.

I have spent a lot of time researching parts, part numbers and suppliers and have a massive spreadsheet set up with everything I need and where it is located here, or via suppliers. I have planned for this project to be on the expensive side (ie. $15K+ easily) because I want to build it right and I'll be keeping this car till the day I die, which means its gonna take a while, but its gonna be one hell of a fun ride (trust me everyday I see the car and dream because I know what its gonna look like when its done and I drool).

I promise there will be pics soon of the engine and some more toys and plans for the car, I dont want to spoil too much what plans I have for the car...

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

The engine has about 85-90K on it, which is why its going to be completely torn down and overhauled to make the kind of power I'm looking for reliably. I keep flirting with the idea of boring and stroking it to 2.6L, but I just may wait on that, depending on the prices, however as I see it right now, it might just be worth going that route for reliability sake. We'll see, this bitch is gonna be nasty either way

Oh I almost forgot, I'll also be calling Safe Drives either tomorrow or Friday to talk about getting a cage custom built for her. I would do it myself, but safety is my #1 concern with this car since its going to be such a monster and will be raced in NASA and SCCA sanctioned events and I need to have the best safety equipment out there that meets all the specs.

Also any BD Legacy guys that are out there reading and following this thread, I have the fortune to have my own shop with a CNC machine and various other tooling devices and I will be custom creating some parts for this vehicle, so I wont leave you guys out. I will have some of the custom pieces available to you also because I know how much of a pain it is when trying to find aftermarket things for our cars.

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

boring it out doesnt cost that much, get it done at Vermont Engine, they do good work. they don't have the bit needed though, its a bottom cutting bit iirc, they just borrow it from a friend. I'm pretty sure it was $45/cyl to get bored when i did it. burlington subaru and auto creek both use them for the machine work. if you're going sleeves too that might be another story.

this is an awesome project.. Keep uf the good work.

you wouldnt want to get rid of your old lgt motor for cheap would you?

if so, pm, im in desperate need of one. lol

I have a used motor. How much are you looking to spend?

Sorry, the original engine and trans are already sold (paid for the Turbo Legacy)

Hopefully I will get around to going through all the parts I have in the basement this weekend for the first part out sale. This sale will be for the interior of the GT, so check your cars for pieces you may need. I will be posting here on Legacygt.com first and after a few days or so I will also post on Nasioc, so dont sleep on it...

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Sorry, the original engine and trans are already sold (paid for the Turbo Legacy)

Hopefully I will get around to going through all the parts I have in the basement this weekend for the first part out sale. This sale will be for the interior of the GT, so check your cars for pieces you may need. I will be posting here on Legacygt.com first and after a few days or so I will also post on Nasioc, so dont sleep on it...

thats ok, just figured it didnt hurt to ask. haha

dplacen: how much you looking to get rid of it? How many miles and what not..

thats ok, just figured it didnt hurt to ask. haha

dplacen: how much you looking to get rid of it? How many miles and what not..

$300 its got about 150-160K. The only thing is got a small noise. It could last you a while. For the price you can't beat it.

How reliable and how long would a 90-93 legacy turbo last? I have been toying with the idea of getting a 91-93 legacy turbo as a beater, If I can find one. (and eventually turning it into a project car once I have some more money). My 05 legacy is taking a beating right now with door dings and ass holes hitting me :(

Update....

Lets see, I have been scouring Nasioc every day, pretty much every hour when someone isnt near me at work for parts people are getting rid of to keep this project on the cheap. At the present I have two Sabelt/Sparco 6-point racing harnesses on their way and am looking for more parts.

As for the cars, the GT is still on jack stands and will be until I put the front rotors back together, so I can get wheels on her to roll her out of my garage. As for the Turbo, I have finally convinced myself to take her apart this weekend. I cant believe how much fun this car is and I really dont want to take her apart, but I need to to get this show on the road. I'll be jump starting her friday night (late since she's not inspected, legal, etc.) so I can drive her 15 mins in to my shop so I can strip her of her engine and trans to begin with this weekend. Luckily I have a 2 ton ceiling mounted hoist, forklifts and air tools galore (oh and a crap load of speedi-dry for all the fluids that will be going everywhere) to make this process really easy. Its going to be sad to tear this car apart because I love it and am really thinking about finding another to use as a DD instead of my '97 GT, which I'd give to my sister to replace her '96 Explorer that is falling apart.

As for the durability of the turbo legacy's I cant see a single problem yet, aside from usual wear and tear that you would expect to find with a 16yo car. If you can find one, go for it, I cannot believe how much fun it is and how advanced the cars were back then, ie power everything, auto-down winders, a nice interior and good ergonomics

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Well before the guys that were at the Vermont Meet today ruin the surprise on the engine that I am planning for this car, I'll spill the beans, this thing will be more likely greater than the 400/400 that I am planning...

Here is the plan;

EJ22T bored to EJ257 specs

Brian Crower Subaru EJ257 2.61L Pro Series I-Beam Stroker Kit (Designed for 600+ Crank HP!! Muhahahahahahaha)

Cosworth Subaru EJ257 (2.5L) STI Performance Cylinder Heads

STi manifold, rotated for the FMIC

I'm still undecided on what Turbo to use, but after talking with Groff today I'll definitely be conferring with TDC for the tuning and turbo. I also have to talk with Crawford to figure out how they instruct their clients to wire their race engines that are built off the EJ22T, since I and their clients have to go from OBDI to OBDII

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived