LegacyGT.com

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What'd you use to try and get it open? If you use thin eye glass screwdrivers, it doesn't mess it up that bad, but then again who really sits around and stares at the seatbelt buckle? It's a trade off, scuff up the edges of the buckle prying it open or have a stupid chime going off every 5 seconds. Your call. I enjoy the silence

I don't get it?

What's the problem with the 20-click method? Mine's been fine for 18 months now, had to do it once when I disconnected the battery for an install and that's it. I don't get why people are jarring at their seat belts and cutting wires when Subaru gave you a way to turn off the dinging in the first place?

I asked my dealership when I first got the car and they said they'd reset it for me if I wanted... I found it online (thanks lgt.com :))rather than having to drive there to have it done.

well the 20 click method doesn't always work for one, (as you mentioned battery disconnect etc, don't ever have to try to do it again) sometimes cold weather will cause it to reset. Another reason is that this is "semi-permanent" it can be fixed in an instant if you decide to resell the car or some other reason.

I was a fan of the 20 click method for a while.

It was easy enough and didn't harm anything.

However my car is now 3 years old and has about 55,000 miles and the 20 click method for seatbelt chime disable no longer works.

If I work at it hard enough I can get it to work for ONE TRIP.

The next time I get in my car it comes back.

I'm trying to figure out why it worked before. Even up to a year or so without a problem like BIGINALEAGACY stated. However, after a few years it has stopped working.

My biggest question is the battery.

I have been playing around with the idea of replacing my battery with a RED TOP Optima battery. I have used them on other cars and loved them.

I also like the red because my interior is red. :)

Lastly, it doesn't leak like a regular battery.

My stock battery has leaked and made a mess.

It has ruined my cobb battery hold down an dI have to clean in constantly to keep it from spreading.

With the Optima battery I will never worry about leaks again.

So my question is... will the new optima battery also do a good job of holding the 20 click method in place.

I wonder.

I wonder if the seat betl thing is telling me the battery is about to explode.

I will definately report back to you if I get a new battery and the 20 click method starts working again.

I hope the dying battery isn't putting unwanted strain on the alternator.

Those thigns are expensive!

My sister just had to get a new one for her spec b.

First alternator ordered for 2006 + legacy.

Ever since I got my Stage II tune done, for some random reason I can no longer disable the seat belt by the 20 click method, I want to punch my car in the face when it beeps, seriously, F-YOU car.

I think you are a PRIME candidate for the fix described in this thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83382

... you will find it just as satisfying and more productive that punching

your car in the face.

I did it - it DID take a couple hours and I'm fairly "handy" - but I've never

looked back !

P.S. Read the whole thread - I and some others add some very handy

hints to the initial posting, and I believe the OP adds some photos. For

example, I de-soldered the chime device rather than destroying it -

this was easier and allows the theoretical possibility of reversing

the mod - although the latter is probably more satisfying.

Ever since I got my Stage II tune done, for some random reason I can no longer disable the seat belt by the 20 click method, I want to punch my car in the face when it beeps, seriously, F-YOU car.

Since I did this method, it always worked for me in my '05 LGT. Not sure how it works for the later models, but my '08 Spec-B is speed sensitive but I might try it any to disable it once the weather warms up. It's really easy to do and only took my about 30min or so when I did it the first time.

Simple solution - wear the seatbelt, it's there for a reason!

453747.png

At first, the 20-click worked fine. After over a year, it started chiming again.

The 20-click wouldn't work!

I was frustrated for a few days, then somehow it worked when I tried 25-clicks...

Then a few weeks later, the chime came back, but the 20-clicks didn't work, the 25-clicks worked again for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

i am a new member from germany

sorry for my bad english ...

i own a Leggi 09

the 20 or 30 click method is not working in my car

today i have unplugged the connector below the drivers seat

and it is quiet now

i have comfort option, so i have leather and heated seats

i have 4 plugs, the one in the middle ( white plug ) has 2 wires and was the correct one

dont unplug the blue or yellow plug

Welcome to the forums!

Your English is pretty good man! Lots of folks from other parts of the world on here too, so you should feel welcome.

Although be warned, there are some wise asses out there, so don't mind them. ;)

Check out the new Members forums, maybe give a little introduction and some pics of your car too. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Popped apart the Drivers side blet holder on my '08 spec-b and the set up is still the same on it as the original post I started with, so those looking to do this mod will find it the same as earlier models. As I mentioned though, I didn't snap the entire set up back together but left it apart a little bit and used electrical tape to close it all up can barely notice it, but I don't care all that much how it looks, I'm happy to not have the chime.

i've tried this a couple of times and it doesn't work. it stops the chime, but i can't buckle my seat belt.

Dudes, WHY do you keep messing with this ? Just suck it up and

DO the bloody mod where you remove the chime ITSELF ?!? It is

SO very satisfying when you de-solder that chime thingy, trust me.

• 4 months later...

Just tried this as we have a new baby and the chime wakes her up and I don't have time to do a more indepth mod.

I couldn't get the belt to buckle properly even after trimming the tabs.

I just took out the circuit card and 'folded it over' and back into the flexible covering over the belt. Hopefully it lasts, but it seems to be happy in there.

Also, no passenger or door chime for some reason now? I won't complain, but it sounds like it might be temporary?

Thanks for help making sure the baby gets her sleep!

Tom

ok check it, this is the EASIEST way to disable the chime and doesnt cause any permanent damage, just unbolt and lift up the seat, unplug the single black wire with an all white connector, no yellow! and success, you have disabled your seat chime. here is the original write up showing how to do it w/ pics http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52672 i did it to my 05 limited in under ten mins and im extremely happy and it doesnt mess with the airbag. as far as the passenger goes, i dont really care to disable that chime because i make my passengers belt up anyways lol but just thought i'd let you know

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • I Donated
"dis-abled" my chime this morning afternoon

After seeing the pic, i thought it would be easy to add a switch to this layout, so that normally the alarm will go off and ill put my belt on if i forget.

However, if im driving 20 seconds across the street or what ever, i press a button and gone! no more ding!

its REALLY easy to do.

All you need to do is add an open/close push button switch on the wire closest to the seat back. All the seatbelt does is open the circuit, and no more ding..

I used a solding iron to cut out a little hole on the side and tossed it in. Only problem i had is my placement was to low, and had to cut the rubber boot, and now the top of the belt isnt as tight as it should be. Also, the part where the seat belt locks into is really hard plastic, and so you need a reallllllly small push button to make it work right..

This gave me an idea on how to disable the door chime for when I'm working on the car... ;) The door pin switches, if they work the same as on my old 90 Legacy, are momentary-off (off when pressed in, on when not pressed in). Thus, add a switch on either side of that circuit and put it in a convenient but unobtrusive place. Press it when you're working on the car with the door open and the radio on. No more door chime!

I haven't tried this yet, but will update when I do.

Archived