LegacyGT.com

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, the ez 20 click method works fine in the 2012 Legacy to disable chime. Took all of 25 seconds. I don't drive w/o a seatbelt but I can't get outta the drive way w/o that dang beeping nagging at me. ALRIGHT ALREADY!!!

I'm pretty sure the indicator in the 06 is in the same place as the 05, next to the clock and trip computer. But I could be wrong.

Actually, I should have looked before I posted. The indicator (as to whether the passenger airbag is enabled) is up on the map-light unit in the ceiling above the rearview mirror.

I'll check and see what it does with the dog in there.

• 3 months later...
I tried this option last night....it worked until i tried to buckle my seatbelt. It wouldnt budge...i pushed harder... CLICK...but the ding came back...did i do somthing wrong?

If you close the housing all the way and snap it back together, it will give you that issue. If you look in the early picts, you have to leave it slightly open and just use some electrical tape to close it.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a strange feeling that the 30x click thing is dependent on how well your terminals connect to the battery. I did the 30x thing when I first got the car and it lasted for years. Anyways, at some point the battery needed to be changed and after that the 30x trick wouldn't take. Also my wires were corroded heavily. And it was like that for years. Recently my terminal broke and I replaced it with a brand new one. I just tried the 30x click trick and it worked on the first try! I suspect the new solid battery connection did the trick!

• 2 weeks later...
Thought I'd drop by to say C'MON PEOPLE WE CAN MAKE THE THE LONGEST THREAD EVAR!

No wait, not that.

I mean, I just finished 'fixing' my Subie, and wanted thank everyone. I also learned a few things.

First, we need a better explanation of the 'little white switch' hack. The white plastic piece is not *a* switch, it is *the* switch that the seat belt clasp itself moves up and down to tell the car whether the thing is buckled or not. You can't just push it down and close it up, as the next time you buckle up, the pieces will snap back into alignment, and resume working normally.

You can leave the case ajar (as many have discovered) so the pieces never snap together.

Or, as it turns out, you can REMOVE the white piece altogether. Just pop the circuit board out of the case half, and slide the piece right off. It might be possible to snap the piece off the circuit board, but the board is pretty thin and might break. I attached a picture of mine in a suitable state of disrepair.

FYI, I didn't leave it that way, as I knew I'd lose that piece eventually. Instead, I went with the other hack, and pulled the plug under the seat. (White plug with green dot; royal pain as the plug is behind one of the seat motors.)

Just did it this way too. I put the slider in a little ziploc bag and threw it in my glovebox. If I ever sell the car it's 100% reversable with absolutely no damage. Seems like the smartest way to do it...

• 2 weeks later...
When I put mine back together it wouldn't let me buckle so I went to adjust it as advised in this thread and the circuit board broke. Does this have any potentially negative effects?

Nope, if you go back a few pages, I had a similiar issue and pulled the board out. Turns out you can snip the 2wires to teh circuit board and then tape them together and no chime or anything....That's how mine is setup now.

Nope, if you go back a few pages, I had a similiar issue and pulled the board out. Turns out you can snip the 2wires to teh circuit board and then tape them together and no chime or anything....That's how mine is setup now.

Oh really? So you took the circuit board out completely? Is your passenger chime disabled? As of right now only my driver side chime is disabled (which is totally fine with me).

Oh really? So you took the circuit board out completely? Is your passenger chime disabled? As of right now only my driver side chime is disabled (which is totally fine with me).

Yep circuit board is gone, think I threw it out actually. And yeah I've done the passenger side as well. It's a little different and described how to do it earlier in the thread somewhere, check the beginning 5 pages I think it's in there with pictures.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just finished doing this. I tried the passenger side first to get my prying technique down. I knew prying into the plastic would leave behind uglyass burrs.

There was no white plastic piece on the passenger side, the mechanics are totally different..

At least this technique works for the driver side just like the instructions say.

I just finished doing this. I tried the passenger side first to get my prying technique down. I knew prying into the plastic would leave behind uglyass burrs.

There was no white plastic piece on the passenger side, the mechanics are totally different..

At least this technique works for the driver side just like the instructions say.

No passenger side is configured different, and if you go through this thread somewhere I figured out how to disable that side as well and posted picts and instructions. Little bit different but just as easy to disable.

• 11 months later...
What about disconnecting the Chime speaker itself? As I recall 10 years ago I tried that on an old car...and the device was near the steering column.

A bit tricky...but that is the ultimate in killing that annoying chime for good. I think it is just plastic connector than can be unclipped without having to cut any wires.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/final-disable-seat-belt-chime-52672p8.html

Originally Posted by Lifeisgood View Post

FYI, I've taken a totally different approach to disabling the annoying chime on both an '05 and an '08 Outback and it worked out great.....

I removed the little black box under the dash, just right of the steering column that houses the actual speaker itself and just un-soldered the little round buzzer (it's just about an inch by half and inch) and just like that, no more dinging!

I did take pictures but I'll have to dig around and see if I can find them in my spare time.

• 4 weeks later...
The 20+ Click method worked fine in my 05 Impreza & 05 Forester XT, but wouldn't work in my (new to me) 05 LGT Wagon... couldn't get the buckle to function with the white slider moved down... uplugging the white sensor plug was easier, and with the seat all the way back there was enough room to reach in and do it by hand without having to unbolt the seat. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
^^Yes, because when sitting in the drive-thru line at McDonalds, you love listening to the seatbelt chime... or when you park at the beach and want to listen to the radio with the doors open, you prefer to hear the seatbelt chime with your music... or when you're idling in neutral at the drive-thru car wash, you prefer to hear a seatbelt chime every 1s instead of the radio... or you have the magical ability to work under the hood while wearing your seatbelt, or you just prefer to buckle up an empty seat while working on the car... or your passenger would rather sit in the vehicle in Central Florida (heat index 110*) with the key out while you walk over to the mailbox... or you love sitting in the Ferry lineup being the only person buckled up.

• 2 months later...
From there, I actually did this on the driver's side so you can see the piece you need to remove. The Passenger side is tougher because you can't bend the seatbelt part over to pry out the piece, os you have to be patient and work gently.

But looking at the driver's side pictures: This is the piece that needs to come out, and it's not hard to pop out, but be careful not to break the clips as they are plastic and fragile.

Once you pop it out, flip it over and all I did was put a paperclip in the little groove and then put some electrical tape over it to keep it in place. Then you can tuck it down below the seat so it's out of the way and put the cover back on.

Before you pop the cover on, I turned the car on to the ACC to be sure it's not chiming and the seatbelt light isn't on.

There you go, hope that was easy to understand, PM me if you have questions. Be patient and gently and don't force anything, or you'll break it and potentially screw it up.

Enjoy the silence! :lol:

Awesome fix it is so nice to chill in the car and not get yelled at by a stupid computer sensor!!. I got the drivers side easy. Now for the passenger side, seems easy enough but I can't pop the sensor out for the life of me. I opened up the drivers side again to get a better idea and went back to the passenger side still unable to pop out the sensor. Did you use a tool? Or your fingers? Did you press it out thru holes on the opposite side? Or just wiggle it out? Its such a tight space.

Thanks

Archived