LegacyGT.com

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

First off, I'm not reading 5 pages of a bunch of people saying the same thing over and over again... I was trying to help out... Some of you guys are just dumb, it's a wonder how half of you make it through everyday life... I've never met so many people that turn a simple task into a ******* tech thread and want 70 opinions from random people...

The directions in the manual are to shut it off temporarily, the service writer explained how to shut it off completely(Subaru could be held at fault if they told you how to shut off a seat belt chime, when seatbelts are required in every state)... The seatbelt light never comes on, the chime hasn't made a noise in 5 months, and I've had my battery disconnected numerous times... You can give it a shot if you want, if not cut wires, plug shit together, ground shit out, make it into a big deal... I don't give a ****, I was trying to give a simple solution for something that alot of people have a problem with... Good luck...

Wow, so obviously your simple little mind really can't generate a thought. Maybe if you took a look at a few of the posts, the 30 click method has obviously failed DUH! or there wouldn't be posts about other ways to do stuff. But being the rhodes scholar candidate finalist that you are, you probably couldn't have figured that out on your own.

So you were trying to help out eh? That's some great help there, but we've all known about the 30 click method probably since we've purchased our cars, in my case 3+ years ago. One dealer turned it off for me and another when I moved and took it in for service turned it back on being jackasses, saying it was against policy...blah blah blah.

And finally being fed up with the 30 click method not working, I found a solution that takes 15-20 mintues for anyone with a functioning brainstem to do. Of course your probably one of those people without one, which is why none of this makes sense to you, but oh well.

Enjoy your tiny little world.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I did the 30 click method and to my surprise it worked. For the first time in years I have been free from the bonds of seatbelt chime misery...no more agonizing chimes when at the ATM drive through, parking lots, etc.

I shall see how long this lasts.

i only got the 30 click method to work twice. I think because of my killing the battery or frequently modding the car, it just didn't work anymore. so I cut the wire. :D

+1 except I didn't get it till I jumped another SWP LEGGY GT. Then next key cycle it was on. It's not like I drive around w/o a seatbelt. The whole reason I even have a leggy is cause My other car got totaled out and seatbelt was worn. I just don't see the point in seatbelts waiting for the car to warm up or in drive thru trying to get my wallet out. Till I get a chance to do the mod I start car, take the valet key off ring, and close door to prevent my early morning gripes.

i use a harness for autox and drag racing..... i also work from my car (not so much now a days). so sitting in the car with the seatbelt on while trying to input info on the laptop is very uncomfortable.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

It is 20 buckle - unbuckle cycles in 30 seconds.....

Turn the key to run (not start).

Quickly buckle/unbuckle the seatbelt 20 times in 30 seconds or less.

Turn the key to off.

Start the car and wala! No more chime.

BTW...If you get VERY cold temperatures or if the battery is disconnected, you'll have to do this again.

Always works for me.

It is 20 buckle - unbuckle cycles in 30 seconds.....

Turn the key to run (not start).

Quickly buckle/unbuckle the seatbelt 20 times in 30 seconds or less.

Turn the key to off.

Start the car and wala! No more chime.

BTW...If you get VERY cold temperatures or if the battery is disconnected, you'll have to do this again.

Always works for me.

well, the subie techs couldn't get it to work after about the 3rd time I'd disconnected the battery. besides, I'm always screwing around with something in my car! it's just too much of a hassle! took me 10 mins to find the right wire and snip. :D

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

First off, I'm not reading 5 pages of a bunch of people saying the same thing over and over again... I was trying to help out... Some of you guys are just dumb, it's a wonder how half of you make it through everyday life... I've never met so many people that turn a simple task into a ******* tech thread and want 70 opinions from random people...

The directions in the manual are to shut it off temporarily, the service writer explained how to shut it off completely(Subaru could be held at fault if they told you how to shut off a seat belt chime, when seatbelts are required in every state)... The seatbelt light never comes on, the chime hasn't made a noise in 5 months, and I've had my battery disconnected numerous times... You can give it a shot if you want, if not cut wires, plug shit together, ground shit out, make it into a big deal... I don't give a ****, I was trying to give a simple solution for something that alot of people have a problem with... Good luck...

:lol::lol::lol:

I hate the internet. If I would have said what I typed to your face, you'd've (another double contraction:)) laughed and known I was just playin'. But yeah, the 30 or 20 or whatever clicker don't work forever, and it quits doing it when ya don't want it to most...like when the car is already started. Now I don't wanna wear it, cause I live on the edge (and some may say stupid), but to get the chime off, I have to put car in neutral while going down the road. You gotta get going about 50 mph in a 30 zone, or about 20 mile per hour loss of speed due to coasting. Turn key off then back to on position and click the belt whilst driving with your knee. After all the clicking, and some folks building up behind ya, turn the key back to off, then to on, push in clutch about 3rd gear and pop it, car should start up and you'll be in a sweet gear to take off!! Now does that sound like fun? Boy the things we have to do to not wear that body slicing device:rolleyes:.

Perhaps I just need a new battery to make it last longer?

• 4 weeks later...
nope. or atleast mines didnt. thats y i did this mod instead. this is the only one that worked for both drivers side and passenger side.

that sucks because I ripped my wires out of the seatbelt connector and broke the circuit board on accident. guess i'm gonna have to live with the passenger side chime.

I have not done this mod, but I do have my driver's seat chime harness unplugged. I am now getting a random activation of the passenger chime when there is no one in the seat. Buckling the passenger belt makes it stop. I guess I am going to have to disconnect the chime harness under that seat too. The car went through last winter w/o this issue, so I don't think the cold weather is the only factor in this.

Plugged my driver's side chime harness back in about 3 weeks ago and have not had the "phantom chime" from the pasenger seat since then....hmmmm.

It is still ugly.

I don't feel like reading all 6 pages, will pulling the plug also disable the passenger side chime?

For a while doing it this way did have my passenger side turned off, then one days it started chiming again, but I did figure out how to pull out the passenger side switch and put a paper clip in there to bridge the connection and turn it off. No chimes now. Go back bout 2 pages and you'll see the pictures.

• 1 month later...

I've tried the 20 clicks in 30 seconds thing a bunch of times with no luck. What's the trick? Turned the ignition to ON, lock and unlock the driver seatbelt at lightning speed 20-30 times, turn ignition OFF, start the car. STILL BEEPS!

Also, I liked the idea of flipping the white switch inside the buckle, but on my 08 the buckle has 2 plastic rivets instead of small screws. Anyone know how I can get these off without breaking anything?

thanks

Where are you talking about the rivets? There are no screws on the earlier models, it looks like there might be, but it's just for show. I haven't looked at an 08 to see what the belt clips look like but I can't imagine it would be very different.

• 3 weeks later...
When I did this mod, I took apart my seatbelt on the driver's side and then gently pried out the circuit board. The white little slider came right off and then I replaced the circuit board and put the buckle back together. The little white slider now lives in the armrest cubbie and there's not a ding from the driver ever. Love it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
sigh ive tried this twice so far and no go...cant click the seatbelt idk whats so different with mine than eeryone else...guess im gonna have to clip the tabs like the other guy did...atleast someone feels my pain...

Archived