LegacyGT.com

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

I just tried this... it worked for a day and now it chimes again :(

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Thought I'd drop by to say C'MON PEOPLE WE CAN MAKE THE THE LONGEST THREAD EVAR!

No wait, not that.

I mean, I just finished 'fixing' my Subie, and wanted thank everyone. I also learned a few things.

First, we need a better explanation of the 'little white switch' hack. The white plastic piece is not *a* switch, it is *the* switch that the seat belt clasp itself moves up and down to tell the car whether the thing is buckled or not. You can't just push it down and close it up, as the next time you buckle up, the pieces will snap back into alignment, and resume working normally.

You can leave the case ajar (as many have discovered) so the pieces never snap together.

Or, as it turns out, you can REMOVE the white piece altogether. Just pop the circuit board out of the case half, and slide the piece right off. It might be possible to snap the piece off the circuit board, but the board is pretty thin and might break. I attached a picture of mine in a suitable state of disrepair.

FYI, I didn't leave it that way, as I knew I'd lose that piece eventually. Instead, I went with the other hack, and pulled the plug under the seat. (White plug with green dot; royal pain as the plug is behind one of the seat motors.)

SANY1302.thumb.jpg.1adf618885c8f3e52079a5c192b4e7b4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The 20 click method worked for me for a year and 8 months until I had to replace my car battery. I am going to try the 20 click method again hopefully it works again as good as it did last time
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

So, I had an issue this morning and did something to throw the little white slider back on line so my seatbelt circuit stopped being complete and it would chime again. Have no fear though I figured out the permanent way to stop it.

DREMEL....

So I pulled the braceket off again and sanded down the 3 little tabs that are sticking out which will effectively stop from catching the white slider tab and causing the seatbelt to ding. Very easy and quick.

Sand off the 2 tabs circled in red and actually the middle one as well. Will have to buckle the seatbelt for optimum access to that on and it will stop beeping forever, slide the white tab down (from original pictures) and close the seatbelt case.

Pict #2 is the original before dremeling, but shows the 3 tabs to sand down.

1443004617_Seatbeltmodified.thumb.jpg.e97cfd477aa8f9b2a7936cad5af7228f.jpg

1875466312_Seatbeltpremod.thumb.jpg.d6924b94be8bfe018620e3363ae88111.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So latest update, something happened when I closed the housing again and the seatbelt light came back on but it thankfully didn't chime. While i was driving and waiting to get the mod done again, I somehow managed to rip the wires off the little circuit board.

Good news is when the wires aren't touching, the light or the chime doesn't go off. Brought the side of the housing up to my apt, popped out the circuit board (used a small screwdriver) with the slider and closed the housing back on the buckle. Took the 2 wires and tied them up with electrical tape and problem solved. Never going to chime again or light up.

Subaru, in all its wisdom (and knowing how irritated Subaru owners are by that CONTANT beeping) put out instructions for overriding the chime mechanism. I tried it and it worked right away! Turn the car on and then, within thirty seconds, fasten and unfasten the seatbelt latch 20 times. Next time you turn the car on you will hear the initial chime (back 7-8 beeps) and then it will stop. Anytime you replace the battery, you'll have to do this again.

I'm a safe driver and I wear my seatbelt all the time on the road. But there are times, in parking garages, drive-through's, etc., when I have to unfasten it. I don't need my car nagging me.

@robert - what appears to be common knowledge on a car forum is not common knowledge in the real world. I asked several mechanics how to disable the chime and no one knew of this solution. I was thrilled to learn of it. But hey - pardon my ignorance. And pardon YOUR sarcasm.

I never said it was common knowledge, I did say it has already been posted a number of times previously within this thread and other threads. So, if you bothered to look back through any of the thread you would have noticed others mentioning it, regardless of it not being a permanent solution. But I guess it's too time consuming to see what others have posted previously.....

Glad you at least noticed the sarcasm.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
well leave it to me. i was attempting to open the seat belt housing when it all the sudden snapped open. i broke the switch completely before i could just move it down. the sensor seems to be off with no chimes or dash lights so hopefully i'm in the clear. this being broke wont affect the airbags or anything else right?

IMG_1198.thumb.jpg.bd404ea3a6d5f574ac829d40edf86738.jpg

IMG_1200.thumb.jpg.1ec638ddb327f74d9bad00a2a41d4133.jpg

well leave it to me. i was attempting to open the seat belt housing when it all the sudden snapped open. i broke the switch completely before i could just move it down. the sensor seems to be off with no chimes or dash lights so hopefully i'm in the clear. this being broke wont affect the airbags or anything else right?

Nope it has nothing to do with the air bags. If you weren't wearing your seatbelt and got into an accident the air bags would still deploy. They are based on weight and motion over whether your seatbelt is buckled or not. If you check out an earlier post you can actually see where I pulled the wires out accidentally and found out that if you connect them the light won't come on. It's like 3-4 posts up or something

Nope it has nothing to do with the air bags. If you weren't wearing your seatbelt and got into an accident the air bags would still deploy. They are based on weight and motion over whether your seatbelt is buckled or not. If you check out an earlier post you can actually see where I pulled the wires out accidentally and found out that if you connect them the light won't come on. It's like 3-4 posts up or something

Sounds like you know what you're talking about, but this all makes me a little nervous.

I guess that's one reason I'd vote for doing in the way I did - pulling the circuit board from the BIU and de-soldering the piezo chime. No way would that have any unexpected side effects, plus it gets rid of other annoying chime sounds too !

I don't see how a car company could base their electronics on whether or not your seatbelt is buckled after all these years. an airbag is a supplement restraint system (SRS) as was defined a long time ago. For them to base whether the air bag goes off on the fact your seat belt is buckled or not is opening them up to a lot of lawsuits or so I'd figure. If you think about it, the passenger side airbag is based on weight not if the seatbelt is buckled or not, that's why there's a light that says whether the airbag is on or off. If a 50lbs person is sitting in the passenger seat and not buckled it's not going to set off the airbag because the weight isn't sufficient to set the airbag, which I'm pretty sure is going to be the same application for the driver's side.

And as I posted previously on how to disable the passenger side chime, the airbag light doesn't turn on unless there's sufficient weight in on the passenger side to trigger the airbag to turn on, so I can't imagine it any different for the drivers side

On a tangential note, sometimes my dog (50lb or so) rides in the front passenger seat. I realize it's not the safest thing, and I only do it when the rear cargo area has something else it in (not often) - but I worry an airbag deployment could hurt her badly. Is there some indicator as to whether the SRS thinks there's enough weight in the front passenger seat to deploy the airbag in a collision ?

Archived