LegacyGT.com

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

Ever think about actually wearing the seatbelt?? I do it all the time. Best way to keep the chime off.

but when im waiting for work or school to start sometimes its just too hot and i dont want to be resting in my car with the ac on and the chime ringing in my ear

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ever think about actually wearing the seatbelt?? I do it all the time. Best way to keep the chime off.

Yeah I did and actually I do wear my seatbelt all the time but when I'm pulling in to the drive or a parking spot and working my way out of the car.

The idea of the post isn't to tell people to not wear their seatbelts but for those who are annoyed by the chime to turn it off as they are in the process of putting on the seatbelt.

Have you ever been stuck at a light or anything had to take off you belt to adjust or get something out of a pocket or maybe take off a jacket or something? I don't need to be reminded every 2seconds to put my seatbelt on....

• 2 weeks later...
Works AWESOME. Thanks!!

Any clue on how to disable the "Open Door" chime now on an '07 Spec B??? Cleaning the car, car off, but the doors open and listenting to the radio or CD and that bloody chime keeps going!!

No idea, maybe put a piece of duct tape of the button while you have the door open. Otherwise that never bothered me as much so I don't tinker with it

What the hell is wrong with me or my seatbelt? I have tried this fix repeatedly and have had no problem opening the seatbelt encasement. I have slid the white tab per the instruction photos, and. . .VOILA. . .It works! The problem is when I try to buckle-up, it doesn't want to go in. I have to either: a) force it in, which results in a loud, disturbing "pop" and the fix is undone; or b) push the release button allowing me to buckle it easily, but the fix is undone and the white tab is in its original position.:spin:

Am I doing something wrong or is it possible my clicker could be different on my car?

Thanks guys! But I ended up using a pair of nail clippers to clip the little tabs off of the white thingy so the seatbelt mechanism thingamabob (sp?) couldn't grab the white thingy anymore.

Finally got us a happy wagon!

• 3 weeks later...
One addendum which avoids leaving any visible damage marks on the cover: the seatbelt receptor sits in a rubber sleeve. Peel the rubber sleeve back and twist the belt receptor so it's pretty much horizontal. Then you can take a small flathead screwdriver and pry the entire cover off from near the base - it just pops off. Be careful not to insert the screwdriver too far to avoid damaging the wires inside. Do the mod as shown above and then snap the cover back on and roll the rubber sleeve back up. The rubber sleeve will cover any screwdriver marks from popping off the cover.

I pulled like a mofo on the bottom of the cover and couldn't get it to come off. Am I missing something? There are no screws, right? BTW, I have an '07...hopefully SOA didn't get retarded and jack it up for the '07's like they did for the DRL disable.

Great idea...Just tell my dog that when is in the passenger seat and the thing is chiming me crazy. :)

Some of this is simply principle...The car manfacturer doesn't need to tell us what to do.If they just give us a choice on having these foolish features either turned on or off, it would please us all. But most of us don't like the chime, the daytime running lights etc...

"dis-abled" my chime this morning afternoon

After seeing the pic, i thought it would be easy to add a switch to this layout, so that normally the alarm will go off and ill put my belt on if i forget.

However, if im driving 20 seconds across the street or what ever, i press a button and gone! no more ding!

its REALLY easy to do.

All you need to do is add an open/close push button switch on the wire closest to the seat back. All the seatbelt does is open the circuit, and no more ding..

I used a solding iron to cut out a little hole on the side and tossed it in. Only problem i had is my placement was to low, and had to cut the rubber boot, and now the top of the belt isnt as tight as it should be. Also, the part where the seat belt locks into is really hard plastic, and so you need a reallllllly small push button to make it work right..

I just did the 20 click thing and it has worked great so far..If it only returns when the battery is unhooked I am ok with that since I never do that, and if I do, I just do it again.

If this doesn't work I would move to the next fix. Like to work in order of how easy the project is before taking anything apart-and I am pretty handy. :)

I just did the 20 click thing and it has worked great so far..If it only returns when the battery is unhooked I am ok with that since I never do that, and if I do, I just do it again.

If this doesn't work I would move to the next fix. Like to work in order of how easy the project is before taking anything apart-and I am pretty handy. :)

Mine came back within a few weeks each time I did the 20-click method, and I never disconnected the battery. Needless to say, I was pretty happy to see this thread after it came back for the third time.

When I pulled off the plastic housing, one of the black wires got ripped out and now the seatbelt chime doesn't go off on the driver's side, but it still goes off on the passenger side. Guess I'll have to solder that back on.

Just rip them both off. I accidently pulled too hard on the plastic cover and it came flying off - with the wires and pieces of the plastic switch. I can't reattach now cuz the circuit board is screwed but I don't have any chimes and my airbags still work. Problem solved; I just can't re-enable when I go to sell it.

Just rip them both off. I accidently pulled too hard on the plastic cover and it came flying off - with the wires and pieces of the plastic switch. I can't reattach now cuz the circuit board is screwed but I don't have any chimes and my airbags still work. Problem solved; I just can't re-enable when I go to sell it.

I was wrong; The passenger side seat belt chime still goes off. I guess I will be looking for the connector under the seat. Damn.

• 1 month later...
man do i need to do this. I have people in my car all the time and its so annoying when theres no seatbelt laws in NH.

You're the man!!

Seatbelt laws don't mean jack dude. ALWAYS wear your seatbelt and always make sure that your passengers wear a seatbelt. Those of us that have been in a high-speed collision can tell you that you have no idea what to expect, even though you think you do.

Requiring your passengers to wear their belts is as much for your safety as theirs. After a high-speed collision everything in the car becomes a projectile and, due the confined space, WILL hit you. Suddenly your groceries become dangerous. You may not be afraid of a 115lb girl, but when she's thrown at you like a baseball she makes an effective weapon.

If you have a trunk, use it. If not, get a cargo net or even a pet barrier. Put your groceries (and all those little things you never take out of your car for some reason) in the trunk. Get a seatbelt harness for your dog and strap them in the back seat, or put up a pet barrier.

Another plus: I always get comments from people about how clean I keep my car (of course they can't see my trunk).

That being said, I had already done the under-seat method and at least it shut off the dinging when I stop at the drive-through and need to get my wallet out and such,. But even still, if my wife doesn't get her belt buckled in time: DING DING DING. I really do believe the Subaru engineers are part-Nazi. Thanks for the tip, I'm on my way out to try it, but I guess I'm going to need to get the damn thing under the seat plugged back in.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself. However, the question is how do you know that something else is not affected by this?

Instead of disabling the chime itself, you've effectively disabled one of the sensors. That sensor definitely triggers chime... but perhaps it's used to trigger something else... like altering airbag deployment process (they may be deployed one way when the car knows that the driver is buckled up, and another way when he is not)...

Archived