LegacyGT.com

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. So nice not being bleeped at for nothing. You guys who say "omg just wear your seatbelt" I guess all you do is hop in and go and don't ever chill in your cars? Some people sit for a second and text their friends etc. And man o man is it nice to not have that f=÷&ing beeping.

Cheers.

So in 227 previous posts, you think no one has ever mentioned this "trick" that Doesn't really work and isn't permanent? It REALLY Doesn't work permanently like the other options this this or the few other posts that explain how to ACTUALLY do it permanently

Goozer I can understand your frustration. But everyone has a differing opinion so it can't be helped. For those that do not want to go this route I found an alternative way to do it on youtube.

This is an update to deactivating the seat-belt chime that involves no tools. I do not deserve any credit since I found it on youtube under the DIYguy channel. Here is the link

For those that want a quick run down there are two options:

Option 1: as quoted from TheDIYGuyDOTnet

1. With doors closed and key in the ignition start the car

2. Then put the seat-belt into the clip and release it 20 times within 30 seconds.

3. Next take the key out

4. If you did it correctly, when you put the key back in and start the car you should get the first round of chimes then it should stop, this should work for 05-11 Subaru Legacy, Forester, etc.

** If it does not work after trying it twice. Then another option would be to not start the car but put the key to the ON position and repeat the 20 click and release process within 30 seconds.

Option 2: as quoted from TheDIYGuyDOTnet

1. With all doors closed and the ignition switch in any position except ON or START, buckle the driver’s seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait for the seat-belt warning Light to turn off.

3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver’s seat-belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat-belt buckled.

4. Turn off the engine. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

Belt alert can be reactivated by repeating this procedure. Although belt alert has been deactivated, the seat-belt reminder Light will continue to illuminate while the driver’s seat-belt remains unbuckled.

Finally: Be advised that the belt chime will be reactivated if your battery is disconnected for a period of time. Therefore you will have to redo option1 or option2 process again.

Thanks

Yes, I am a smart ass and don't really mean to rip into you so I apologize as well, and no I don't expect you to read all 227 posts either before posting a thought, but even my 1st post said the 30 clicks didn't work and this was an alternative that actually worked. I'm just a sarcastic SOB and found a way to circumvent a chime and shared a hack that actually really works aside form some manufacturers BS. In fact there's another thread of a similar hack and someone just posted that their 30 click method has failed after a while.

• 1 month later...

Just to relate my experiences, many of which are the same as many have stated previously:

I religiously wear my seatbelt, and make my passengers do the same. My reason for doing this was to fix the "Phantom Passenger Seatbelt Chime," wherein it thinks theres a passenger and dings the seatbelt light. Except fastening the passenger seatbelt didn't stop it.

I had performed the click trick about a year ago, and it had been fine up until I had to unhook the battery...

...at which point, despite trying dozens and dozens of times, I could not get it to work again.

I went in trying to just remove the slider, but ended up breaking the pcb in half. :lol: So I cut the wires off the board, soldered them together, and...the chime just STAYED on constantly.

Opened it back up, snipped the wires apart, and VOILA! it stopped the driver seat belt warning from chiming, and I enjoyed a chime-free day of cruising around.

...then a day later the passenger belt light and chime went off again.

Following the instructions on this thread, I popped the little switch out, put a paperclip in the conductor slot, and DONE. No more unstoppable ding.

Both seatbelts are tightly closed; no half-open-taped-together nonsense.

Summary:

For the drivers side you can just snip one of the two wires, and the ding will stop. In other words, an OPEN circuit shuts it off.

For the passenger side, there must be a connection/ the circuit needs to be completely CLOSED to kill it.

Doing the drivers side alone will NOT stop the passenger seatbelt chime.

This does NOT affect the passenger air bag detection circuit.

I'll be a smart-ass and say, instead or arguing over "clicks", why don't you guys just man-up and go into the BIU and remove the chime thingy ? Then you never have to listen to your car beep at you for ANY reason EVER again.

I did the method of pulling in and out 30 times with the key on and door shut or what ever and I haven't heard it since

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you robertsm99 for starting this thread for the drivers side mod and adding the passengers side mod on page 4. I noticed some questions about how the paperclip mod works on page 4 and I was rather curious myself so I did a little bit of research. The circuit is not simply an open/closed switch. There is some circuitry inside that includes a hall effect sensor.

When the seat belt is engaged, there is a metal rod inserted into the slot of the sensor disrupting the magnetic field. When the seat belt is unbuckled, the rod is pulled back up and the magnetic field is restored. With the engine running, there is about 12V across the wires with the seatbelt unbuckled, and about 10.5V across the wires with the seat belt buckled.

I took a few pictures of the mechanism, but I can't seem to upload them, presumably because I am new.

Again, great mod, thank you very much.

Archived