LegacyGT.com

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself. However, the question is how do you know that something else is not affected by this?

Instead of disabling the chime itself, you've effectively disabled one of the sensors. That sensor definitely triggers chime... but perhaps it's used to trigger something else... like altering airbag deployment process (they may be deployed one way when the car knows that the driver is buckled up, and another way when he is not)...

Same concern here. :confused:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself. However, the question is how do you know that something else is not affected by this?

Instead of disabling the chime itself, you've effectively disabled one of the sensors. That sensor definitely triggers chime... but perhaps it's used to trigger something else... like altering airbag deployment process (they may be deployed one way when the car knows that the driver is buckled up, and another way when he is not)...

its possible...but if you get into an accident bad enough to deploy your air bags...you should be wearing ur seatbelt anyways.

I was wrong; The passenger side seat belt chime still goes off. I guess I will be looking for the connector under the seat. Damn.

I had the same issue one day the passenger side just started chiming for no reason even if no one was sitting there, I think it had something to do with the cold weather.

Anyway, I managed to pop off the entire seatbelt cover and gently pried out the piece that has the connector for the chime. I put the cover back together and inserted a paperclip and electrical tape in there and it's shut off permanently.

Will try to get some pictures up one of these days.

Well I don't think that subie's are really that sophisticated to have integrated speed sensing airbag deployment just yet. Maybe for the lexus, but as far as I know esp for the passenger the airbag sensor and deployment is based on weight and will only deploy if the seat sensor detects enough weight in the passenger seat.

Besides I always wear my seatbelt I just don't need some annoying chime to tell me I didn't get it on quick enough.

I had the same issue one day the passenger side just started chiming for no reason even if no one was sitting there, I think it had something to do with the cold weather.

Anyway, I managed to pop off the entire seatbelt cover and gently pried out the piece that has the connector for the chime. I put the cover back together and inserted a paperclip and electrical tape in there and it's shut off permanently.

Will try to get some pictures up one of these days.

That'd be awesome. Looking forward to the pics since my passenger side chime still goes off...

Alright sorry it took me a while to get pictures up, but it's been cold as hell in Chicago and I'm not spending a lot of time in my car with the doors open. But I finally got to a warm climate so figured I'd have the opportunity to get some pictures up.

You need to pop the entire seatbelt cover off. the front part you pry off, and the back side you need to "pop" off give it a little push up & out from the bottom and it should pop off.

From there, I actually did this on the driver's side so you can see the piece you need to remove. The Passenger side is tougher because you can't bend the seatbelt part over to pry out the piece, os you have to be patient and work gently.

But looking at the driver's side pictures: This is the piece that needs to come out, and it's not hard to pop out, but be careful not to break the clips as they are plastic and fragile.

Once you pop it out, flip it over and all I did was put a paperclip in the little groove and then put some electrical tape over it to keep it in place. Then you can tuck it down below the seat so it's out of the way and put the cover back on.

Before you pop the cover on, I turned the car on to the ACC to be sure it's not chiming and the seatbelt light isn't on.

There you go, hope that was easy to understand, PM me if you have questions. Be patient and gently and don't force anything, or you'll break it and potentially screw it up.

Enjoy the silence! :lol:

IMG_7725.thumb.jpg.dcc5bb9fd24eff19e29ebe2b382f4aa8.jpg

IMG_7726.thumb.jpg.9ec26e4f0834eec3042ac9958f73d98c.jpg

IMG_77281.thumb.jpg.f1b44bdb49232f971af7adecaaf9f315.jpg

IMG_77311.thumb.jpg.daae9af55a2b6e76e0d903854905fbdf.jpg

IMG_7727.thumb.jpg.6fc95cc8e484c3a2bad48563bd03f777.jpg

IMG_7733.thumb.jpg.f3231a2f2e1888d244fb6d374849a20b.jpg

i thought that from the original post that the white slider was the answer to the problems lol. im curious... what exactly does the black peice and the paperclip do... im guessing the black peice is what makes the white slider go up and down? then the paperclip just completes a circuit so to speak. what do we need to do exactly with the slider then if anything?

thanks for the info!

The white slider does take care of the driver's side, but I think for some reason in the colder climates like Chicago that there's something else that wigs out. All i know was I started my car one day, had no passenger and the passenger side started chiming for no reason. Yeah it was a cold day, and unless I had the passenger side buckeled in, then it continued to chime. By pulling that piece out of the passenger side and sticking the paperclip in, it eliminated the chance of the passenger side chiming.

Normally when you buckle the seatbelt, there's a small piece of metal on the passenger side that will slide down to complete the circuit and make it chime or not, the paperclip effectively does the same thing.

Hope that makes sense

What about disconnecting the Chime speaker itself? As I recall 10 years ago I tried that on an old car...and the device was near the steering column.

A bit tricky...but that is the ultimate in killing that annoying chime for good. I think it is just plastic connector than can be unclipped without having to cut any wires.

True, true...I had the luxury of using a beat-up '84 Subie wagon to be a guinea pig. Didn't matter a whole lot if I messed-up.

Brand new or still under warranty is another story.

Tonight I tried to figure out where it is...and I'm almost positive the chime is again (like the '84 Subie I had) under steering column. I am going to take off the panel and see how easy it is to find.

Man thanks a bunch. I was a pro at the 20x untill i lost my spunk after i had to reset by ecu after putting in a ox extender on my dp. anyhow, I notices something, with the 20x mod the light on the passanger indicator wouldn't show but when you do this mod it shows. just something i wanted to point out.

I dont like this mod. I did it and when i jumped on the freeway, i tried to buckle up and it wouldnt. I had to force it in hard. I went back to the 20x and finally after two attempts it work. **** long live the pursuit for the no chime, but for now the 20x will do******

Ever think about actually wearing the seatbelt?? I do it all the time. Best way to keep the chime off.

You like hearing the chime even in park(neutral for thos 5mt) while warming the car up?

The white slider does take care of the driver's side, but I think for some reason in the colder climates like Chicago that there's something else that wigs out. All i know was I started my car one day, had no passenger and the passenger side started chiming for no reason. Yeah it was a cold day, and unless I had the passenger side buckeled in, then it continued to chime. By pulling that piece out of the passenger side and sticking the paperclip in, it eliminated the chance of the passenger side chiming.

Normally when you buckle the seatbelt, there's a small piece of metal on the passenger side that will slide down to complete the circuit and make it chime or not, the paperclip effectively does the same thing.

Hope that makes sense

I have not done this mod, but I do have my driver's seat chime harness unplugged. I am now getting a random activation of the passenger chime when there is no one in the seat. Buckling the passenger belt makes it stop. I guess I am going to have to disconnect the chime harness under that seat too. The car went through last winter w/o this issue, so I don't think the cold weather is the only factor in this.

It is still ugly.

I have not done this mod, but I do have my driver's seat chime harness unplugged. I am now getting a random activation of the passenger chime when there is no one in the seat. Buckling the passenger belt makes it stop. I guess I am going to have to disconnect the chime harness under that seat too. The car went through last winter w/o this issue, so I don't think the cold weather is the only factor in this.

don't disconnect anything under the passenger seat, it's the same connector as the airbag.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

The dealer told me how to disable the seatbelt minder... I think you just had to turn the key on and click and unclick the seat belt 30 times in a minute or something... Hahahahahahaha, you guys are so ******* goofy about somethings... USE YOUR HEADS...

The dealer told me how to disable the seatbelt minder... I think you just had to turn the key on and click and unclick the seat belt 30 times in a minute or something... Hahahahahahaha, you guys are so ******* goofy about somethings... USE YOUR HEADS...

:rolleyes: wow...you are really ahead of the game.

Umm....yeah it works for like 5 minutes then bam it's back upon key being cycled and i'm not even sitting in the seat.

Not mine, I did it once and it never came back on... Call your service department and if you get somebody cool they'll tell you how to do it... My belt minder has been silent for over 5 months now...

Yeah yeah yeah, I did the same thing. Now that my battery is not as NEW, the seatbelt trick quits working almost EVERTIME I start the car. Unless I bump start it that is. Gonna do the plug under the seat thingy, for I rarely have passengers, and if I do, they buckle up whilst I get my wallet/baby/groceries/. The greatest thing about it is, I now NEVER have to wear my seatbelt.

You should really read the thread(s) before acting like we's all's's stupid.

(Double doubled contractions FTS ((for the stupid))):lol::lol:

Yeah, you also don't need to find someone "cool" at the dealer to tell you, just someone who can read your manual. CAUSE OBVIOUSLY YOU CAN'T.

HAHAHAHAHAHA who's not using their head now??? Hmmmmmmmmmm......????

First off, I'm not reading 5 pages of a bunch of people saying the same thing over and over again... I was trying to help out... Some of you guys are just dumb, it's a wonder how half of you make it through everyday life... I've never met so many people that turn a simple task into a ******* tech thread and want 70 opinions from random people...

The directions in the manual are to shut it off temporarily, the service writer explained how to shut it off completely(Subaru could be held at fault if they told you how to shut off a seat belt chime, when seatbelts are required in every state)... The seatbelt light never comes on, the chime hasn't made a noise in 5 months, and I've had my battery disconnected numerous times... You can give it a shot if you want, if not cut wires, plug shit together, ground shit out, make it into a big deal... I don't give a ****, I was trying to give a simple solution for something that alot of people have a problem with... Good luck...

First off, I'm not reading 5 pages of a bunch of people saying the same thing over and over again... I was trying to help out... Some of you guys are just dumb, it's a wonder how half of you make it through everyday life... I've never met so many people that turn a simple task into a ******* tech thread and want 70 opinions from random people...

The directions in the manual are to shut it off temporarily, the service writer explained how to shut it off completely(Subaru could be held at fault if they told you how to shut off a seat belt chime, when seatbelts are required in every state)... The seatbelt light never comes on, the chime hasn't made a noise in 5 months, and I've had my battery disconnected numerous times... You can give it a shot if you want, if not cut wires, plug shit together, ground shit out, make it into a big deal... I don't give a ****, I was trying to give a simple solution for something that alot of people have a problem with... Good luck...

:lol: oh Delawareans....

Not mine, I did it once and it never came back on... Call your service department and if you get somebody cool they'll tell you how to do it... My belt minder has been silent for over 5 months now...

Yeah that's what they all say, but watch one day it'll stop working and it'll suddenly be annoying to you and the 30 click method won't work. Try leaving your car outside the garage in the cold for a couple of days and let me know how the 30 click method works.

But hey, not to sound like a jerk but I could care less what you do to get it to stop chiming, if it works for you great, but it doesn't always work right so this is another option the really works.

And of course no one in the service dept will ever tell you how to do this mod either.

Archived