LegacyGT.com

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

sigh ive tried this twice so far and no go...cant click the seatbelt idk whats so different with mine than eeryone else...guess im gonna have to clip the tabs like the other guy did...atleast someone feels my pain...

i thought i would have to break the tabs on mines too but i just kept messing around with it like putting it back together loosely and buckling the seat belt and eventually it worked without breaking anything

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i dont get it though if you look at how its designed the black thing that slides back with the spring slides down when you put the seatbelt in, which slides the white tab...but i guess if you guys got it to work i should be able too as well..must have to be in between the notches in a certain way...tried the 20X click thing and i cant get it to work, omg the horror of listenin to that crap

When I did mine, I just looked at the whole system. The circuit board with the white thing is held in the overall frame of the buckle by two little black inclined tabs at the top. If you were to press in on the black tabs and pull out on the circuit board, you can then slide the white slider right off. Just press the board back into place then and everything should work as normal. I've been dinging-less for over a month and love it.

alright, I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking for so maybe tonight I can dig around my seat belt and pull the silly chime out IF it's the same on my 08 sti. (i'm praying it is)
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
When I did this mod, I took apart my seatbelt on the driver's side and then gently pried out the circuit board. The white little slider came right off and then I replaced the circuit board and put the buckle back together. The little white slider now lives in the armrest cubbie and there's not a ding from the driver ever. Love it.

Does that affect the drivers side airbag though? I just did this today, and instead of pulling the slider altogether, I removed the metal jumper on the bottom and electrical taped it in place at the bottom, where it would be when the seat belt is buckled. I haven't had a passanger yet so I don't know if it shut off the chime for that side as well. When I start the car, the seat belt light blinks like 3 times (no chime) and then the light goes away. Is this how everyone elses car behaved?

The airbag on the drivers side is always on, whereas the passenger is a switch that depends on whether or not there's actually someone sitting there. So in this case, no, doing this does not turn on or off the driver's airbag. It also doesn't turn off the passenger side. It's just as if you've already got the seatbelt buckled on the driver side, so the 3 blinks at startup is exactly normal.

awesome fix yeah id still wear my seatbelt but jesus christ at 550 in the morning still half asleep and listening to that damn thing going off while i sit there waiting to get all situated its pretty annoying

Somewhere in here on one of the earlier pages, I posted how to disable the passenger side and included picts. Not extremely tough to do but takes a little work to get the clip out of the bracket.here's post with the picts on how to take care of the passenger side:http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1568459&postcount=56

I tried this hack last night, and while it worked, I was subsequently unable to buckle the belt as others have posted. From what I can tell (and I apologize in advance if I'm stating the obvious), this white "clip" slides up and down as you fasten and unfasten the seat belt. This is how the computer knows to turn off the chime after you have fastened your belt. With that said, the clip is clearly there for a reason other than to disable the chime based on user-prefs. So, now I just need to figure out how to circumvent that purposeful design so I never have to hear the ding again! I was thinking about removing the white plastic clip altogether and soldering short wire leads directly to the board... Is this going over board? Has anyone tried this? I really don't see any other way unless I can create more clearance by shaving down the face of that white clip a bit.

Fargus, I guess you could solder it. If you slide the white slider out and flip it over, you'll see a 4 pronged metal piece which is the part that completes the circuit telling the computer if the seat belt is buckled or not. I popped that metal tab out and used some electrical tape to tape it in the bottom position (the one it should be in when the buckle is buckled). I haven't had any fit issues with the housing closing completely or not being able to get the buckle in.

^, yeah, but you need something to hold the contacts in place. If you can solder, that would be better than the tape I used. I'm not good at that and didn't want to damage anything I couldn't put back together easily.

I tried this hack last night, and while it worked, I was subsequently unable to buckle the belt as others have posted. From what I can tell (and I apologize in advance if I'm stating the obvious), this white "clip" slides up and down as you fasten and unfasten the seat belt. This is how the computer knows to turn off the chime after you have fastened your belt. With that said, the clip is clearly there for a reason other than to disable the chime based on user-prefs. So, now I just need to figure out how to circumvent that purposeful design so I never have to hear the ding again! I was thinking about removing the white plastic clip altogether and soldering short wire leads directly to the board... Is this going over board? Has anyone tried this? I really don't see any other way unless I can create more clearance by shaving down the face of that white clip a bit.

From what I've gathered, there is no other reason for it to be there besides to chime and annoy people who don't wear a seatbelt. I did at one point have an issue buckling my belt one time, so I did the next best thing and just slid the white piece down into place so it didn't chime and then just didn't close the houseing all the way, just used some electric tape to hold it all together.

Archived