LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

I know, that's so annoying. But I wonder if tuning can do much about that and you're going to have to wait for the turbo to spool up anyway.... though at 5psi, not long :) Sean? I'm speculating again, and I'm definitely not qualified to do that!!

O/T: My 4EAT actually shifted very very nice and smoothly and quickly and only rarely lagged, having bought the car at 76k and remaining this way even in cold weather up to 92 or 95k or around there, when strictly as a preventative maintenance move, I had the ATF and differential oils changed, now it's the slushbox everyone talks about, and I don't understand what happened... like I said... OFF TOPIC.. but I wonder just what the hell happened. How could it have been so good to me before...

Maybe the previous owner had good fluids and changed the screens etc and when you had it done they swapped in crap and left the old screens/filters in. IF only you could know the greatness of Extra-S :redface:

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know, that's so annoying. But I wonder if tuning can do much about that and you're going to have to wait for the turbo to spool up anyway.... though at 5psi, not long :) Sean? I'm speculating again, and I'm definitely not qualified to do that!!

O/T: My 4EAT actually shifted very very nice and smoothly and quickly and only rarely lagged, having bought the car at 76k and remaining this way even in cold weather up to 92 or 95k or around there, when strictly as a preventative maintenance move, I had the ATF and differential oils changed, now it's the slushbox everyone talks about, and I don't understand what happened... like I said... OFF TOPIC.. but I wonder just what the hell happened. How could it have been so good to me before...

The throttle can be tuned.... I can change the 'requested torque' values and the trans might respond better. The trans control unit uses that ecu data.

With high compression engine and only 5-9psi boost, the spoolup will be almost instant. Our kits for the older models have near instant throttle response. (full boost by 2k rpm)

Sean S.

http://www.RalliTEK.com

With high compression engine and only 5-9psi boost, the spoolup will be almost instant.

That's what I was hoping you'd say. Wait, 5-9 psi? Oooh. IIRC higher than 5-6 was previously not recommended, sounds like things may have gone better than expected during tuning?? :)

That's what I was hoping you'd say. Wait, 5-9 psi? Oooh. IIRC higher than 5-6 was previously not recommended, sounds like things may have gone better than expected during tuning?? :)

We are using Accessport for the tuning on this kit. Much better engine control and safety is achieved with Accesport. Fuel octane still plays a role in max boost setting however.

Sean S.

http://www.RalliTEK.com

I wonder where the AVO logo is gonna be with that stupid piece in the middle of our bumper lol...it'll cover the V and be like A||O

maybe they should use 2 words to keep it symmetrical:

AVO||Turbo or AVO||Japan

whats the chances of a blown motor?

That's what the AccessPORT is for, and that's why the kit is running a very low psi. If it results in a blown motor I'm sure they wouldnt be selling their current kit for the 2.5RS ;) There's a YouTube clip of one doing some pulls with the AVO kit...

He was trying to reach full boost by 2K rpm sans turbo :lol::redface::)

Hahahah.

Sucks! I'm sorry about that bad luck. Any idea what happened?

Sean S.

Thanks Sean. I threw a cam pulley, which ripped through the timing cover, shredded an accessory belt which then got jammed in the timing belt where the crank gear is, and the engine ran out of time. Now there's no compression in one or some of the cyliners (smashed valves). The dealership who sold me the car only 20k miles ago told me it was my fault because I should have been warned this was going to happen by a squealing noise. I did have a squealing noise only when warming the car up (it's been cold here) for a week or two before that, but I mentioned it to both of my mechanics and they both said "Probably your steering belt" and waved it off as unimportant. They were too busy around the holidays to take a closer look and I was going to have it checked out (and get the timing belt done) in early January, but I guess fate had other plans for my engine.

I had an aftermarket warranty too - guess what - they don't cover timing components or any damage resulting thereof. I have to replace the engine out of pocket :( I ordered one from Colorado Component Rebuilders (http://www.ccrengines.com/), who specialize in nothing but remanufactured Subaru engines. $3500 for the engine and $1000 for the labor, let's just say I'm majorly in the hole. But I still owe close to $9k on the car so I had to do it.

CCR gives a 3 year 50k mile warranty on the engine (12 month/12k mile on the timing components) which is unheard of vs. dropping in a used "mystery engine" so my 2005 Subaru with 100k on the ODO will now have an engine with 0 miles on the rebuild and hopefully go forever. Hopefully. Incase you hadn't guessed, turbo kit voids that warranty. :(

Fun money will be gone for a long time but if you're feeling altruistic I'll take any "extra" cars you have lying around :)

Oh damn man that blows i feel bad about the boost comment. If my motor blows after the 60K mark ill more than likely swap it to a EJ255 not saying what you did was wrong it was a good move and a solid engine I read about a GC8 owner getting an engine from them as well and is problem free 30K miles later.

Hope it all works out now you know you want some headers right???? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Oh damn man that blows i feel bad about the boost comment. If my motor blows after the 60K mark ill more than likely swap it to a EJ255

I considered doing a turbo swap, this is the perfect opportunity to do it... but on borrowed money I did not want to screw around. This is my daily driver and work vehicle so no more funny business. I still dream about a turbo kit, but not for this car anymore. If I want to play, I'll have to invest in a project car when I'm out of the hole with this one :) Damn being grown up and responsible, it's no fun at all :p but I'll gladly live vicariously through you guys!

Archived