LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i believe i updated the faq with a link to the ion performance caliper that fits 16" wheels, it is about 1300ish

I am not trying to jump down your throat. But if you daily drive, i think atleast I'm the typical target market for this kit, then quality pads and fresh rotors should give you that extra bite and can be had all around for under $1k... you'll need to do it eventually anyway... calipers not so much, even if one goes you can rebuild or replace just that one (oh boy i hear the flames coming) fairly cheap and should still be up to snuff (with better pads/rotors)... but hey... go as crazy as you want.. just seems to me if you think $3450+$Labor+$1300+pads&rotors is affordable then you can probably afford to trade it in for an official turbo trim, or do an STi engine swap for that matter :)

p.s. when my brakes DO wear out (and they will) i always go one step up since it doesn't cost much more... i.e. calls for organic pads, put semi metallics... calls for those, put ceramics.... even fresh OEM pads and rotors do wonders, people forget how well it braked when new... but Sean, go ahead and please tell me if i'm wrong when you track test the turbo kit with everything else stock on a 2.5i and seize a caliper :)

He's not implying the kit as a must-have, the FAQ is designed to outline all possible options for everybody. It's not like he's the vendor of the kit either.

Though I do agree with you that it's probably overkill for a daily driver. I upgraded to the LGT calipers + Hawk HPS + DBA rotors. They've been very sufficient for daily driving.

Yes the LGT Caliper upgrade for a 2.5i daily driver is sufficient I would say. Its been a nice little uptick for a fraction of the cost of brembos or wilwoods. Which are much better calipers but you won't get their full benefit being just a daily driver. Just my opinon from someone who has done the lgt caliper upgrade.

-Adam

Yes the LGT Caliper upgrade for a 2.5i daily driver is sufficient I would say. Its been a nice little uptick for a fraction of the cost of brembos or wilwoods. Which are much better calipers but you won't get their full benefit being just a daily driver. Just my opinon from someone who has done the lgt caliper upgrade.

-Adam

Doesn't the Limited already have the upgraded brakes? Was just curious, because I thought it did. So A 2.5i LTD would have the same brakes as the GT.

Doesn't the Limited already have the upgraded brakes? Was just curious, because I thought it did. So A 2.5i LTD would have the same brakes as the GT.

The Limited does have upgraded brakes but not to the GT specs. The base model has 10.8" front brakes and the Limited has 11.5" front and both have 10.6" rear. The GT has 12.3" front and 11.3" rear. That info was taken from Cars101 2005 Legacy Mechanical specs.

The Limited does have upgraded brakes but not to the GT specs. The base model has 10.8" front brakes and the Limited has 11.5" front and both have 10.6" rear. The GT has 12.3" front and 11.3" rear. That info was taken from Cars101 2005 Legacy Mechanical specs.

So can we just digest the specs:

To run LGT brakes on 2.5i you will need LGT:

caliper brackets for all four wheels

calipers

rotors

pads

brake lines

RIGHT?????????:)

So can we just digest the specs:

calipers

rotors

pads

brake lines

RIGHT?????????:)

You may also have to go with 17" wheels to clear the larger brakes.

yah, only the 2005 2.5i had the 16" wheels

D'oh. I'm rockin' the '05 2.5i (This has me confused... why call it 2.5i trim when the motor is 2.5L according to the VIN, then 2.5i motor from '06 on? rather than threadjack can someone just post a link to the answer for that if you know it?)

My 16" wheels look spiffier than other 16" wheels I've seen on various outbacks though. I rather like them. Probably not going to be able to afford:

caliper brackets

calipers

pads

rotors

wheels

whatever else was in that list

lol.... this turbo kit is becoming the beast that cannot be fed (if you're an obsessive completionist anyway)

Juuuuust incase anyone's curious:

calipers

rotors

pads

brake lines

REAR BRAKE PAD SET FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY (GT MODELS& 3.0LTD) $72.002 $144.00

BRAKE DISC REAR ROTOR FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY GT and H6 (vented) $79.002 $158.00

FRONT BRAKE COVER LEFT or RIGHT SIDE same number FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY $19.002 $38.00

LOWER LOCK PIN FOR FRONT CALIPER LEFT OR RIGHT SIDE FOR 2003-2009 LEGACYS ALL $5.002 $10.00

UPPER GUIDE PIN FOR FRONT CALIPER LEFT OR RIGHT SIDE FOR 2003-2009 LEGACYS ALL $5.002 $10.00

FRONT BRAKE PAD SET FOR 2005-2006 LEGACY GT & XT TURBO models $74.002 $148.00

BRAKE DISC FRONT ROTOR FOR 2005 LEGACY GT TURBO $76.002 $152.00

CALIPER UNIT NEW ONLY LEFT FRONT drivers side FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY GT or 3.0R (pads are seperate) $239.001 $239.00

CALIPER UNIT NEW ONLY RIGHT FRONT (passenger side) FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY GT (pads are seperate) $239.001 $239.00

FRONT LEFT drivers SIDE CALIPER BRACKET FOR 2005-2008 LEGACY GT TURBO MODELS ONLY $62.001 $62.00

FRONT RIGHT passengers SIDE CALIPER BRACKET FOR 2005-2008 LEGACY GT TURBO MODELS ONLY $62.001 $62.00

Total*: $1,262.00

From Subarupartsforyou.com - That IS including pins (which may come with the new calipers) and brake covers (i assume they mean the heat/dust shields) which I'm not sure you need, but it is NOT including [aftermarket] steel braided lines. Or labor. :D

Juuuuust incase anyone's curious :lol: I'm trying to get rid of my "big 2.5i" brakes, the one from the limited models with the 11.5 inch front rotors. It would be a cheap upgrade if you guys cant afford the LGT upgrade.

Juuuuust incase anyone's curious:

REAR BRAKE PAD SET FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY (GT MODELS& 3.0LTD) $72.002 $144.00

BRAKE DISC REAR ROTOR FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY GT and H6 (vented) $79.002 $158.00

FRONT BRAKE COVER LEFT or RIGHT SIDE same number FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY $19.002 $38.00

LOWER LOCK PIN FOR FRONT CALIPER LEFT OR RIGHT SIDE FOR 2003-2009 LEGACYS ALL $5.002 $10.00

UPPER GUIDE PIN FOR FRONT CALIPER LEFT OR RIGHT SIDE FOR 2003-2009 LEGACYS ALL $5.002 $10.00

FRONT BRAKE PAD SET FOR 2005-2006 LEGACY GT & XT TURBO models $74.002 $148.00

BRAKE DISC FRONT ROTOR FOR 2005 LEGACY GT TURBO $76.002 $152.00

CALIPER UNIT NEW ONLY LEFT FRONT drivers side FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY GT or 3.0R (pads are seperate) $239.001 $239.00

CALIPER UNIT NEW ONLY RIGHT FRONT (passenger side) FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY GT (pads are seperate) $239.001 $239.00

FRONT LEFT drivers SIDE CALIPER BRACKET FOR 2005-2008 LEGACY GT TURBO MODELS ONLY $62.001 $62.00

FRONT RIGHT passengers SIDE CALIPER BRACKET FOR 2005-2008 LEGACY GT TURBO MODELS ONLY $62.001 $62.00

Total*: $1,262.00

From Subarupartsforyou.com - That IS including pins (which may come with the new calipers) and brake covers (i assume they mean the heat/dust shields) which I'm not sure you need, but it is NOT including [aftermarket] steel braided lines. Or labor. :D

you can just buys this http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96953

D'oh. I'm rockin' the '05 2.5i (This has me confused... why call it 2.5i trim when the motor is 2.5L according to the VIN, then 2.5i motor from '06 on? rather than threadjack can someone just post a link to the answer for that if you know it?)

It's always been the Legacy 2.5i, with a 2.5L (Liter) engine.

Using the same logic, the turbo GT would be the Legacy 2.5GT... still 2.5 liters

yah, only the 2005 2.5i had the 16" wheels

i use mine for my winters

it occurred to me that if I do the LGT brake upgrade I won't be able to use my 16" wheels for winter anymore. or for anything. :0

But I found some 17" wheels for $115 apiece on tirerack, which look nice but don't scream "steal me". They come in 2 finishes... painted silver, which honestly would match my Outback a lot better than most of the ghetto-fabulous rims out there, and for a couple dollars more per wheel, you can get it in a dark finish with machined lip that would look spiffy on a black Legacy 2.5i sedan:

"Sport Edition CE" Silver Painted

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&showRear=no&filterSize=17&filterFinish=&filterSpecial=&initialPartNumber=CE775510048S&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Outback+Wagon+2.5I&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=Limited

"Sport Edition CE" Bright Satin w/ Machined Lip

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=Limited&oEvent=event5&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Outback+Wagon+2.5I&initialPartNumber=CE675510048BSATML

Sorry for the atrocious links. It also occurred to me that this thread has been totally threadjacked. But I guess I'll play devil's advocate and reiterate that brake upgrades (necessitating wheel upgrades) are still somehow relevant to increasing HP with this turbo kit.... riiiiight? :)

It's always been the Legacy 2.5i, with a 2.5L (Liter) engine.

Using the same logic, the turbo GT would be the Legacy 2.5GT... still 2.5 liters

Well that's what I thought when I was looking up different model years for the 2.5i outback and some website said my '05 was 2.5L, which I thought, L is for liter of course, but then it listed 06+ as having a "2.5i" motor, which could have been a typo but it caused me great confusion so I imagined that maybe L was a different revision of motor in Subaru lingo... or something... d'oh!!

The Wilwood brake upgrade looks VERY sexy, but it's $1300 for FRONT ONLY calipers, pads, lines and rotors. So on top of that you have to buy the LGT front caliper brackets (a few extra bucks) and still need EVERYTHING for the rear (several hundred $$ more). But if you can do without quadruple-piston fixed calipers, for the same price as the Wilwood fronts, you can have LGT brakes (new, genuine subaru parts) all the way around... it's not exactly one or the other, there's a massive price difference. But like I said before.. spend whatever you like! :) they look pretty sweet...

"http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif No exact date yet. Expected to have the firmware update very soon though."

And will the accessport allow us to tune throttle response? I have the 4EAT, and you literally have to wait a second before it decides to kick in some times.

I know, that's so annoying. But I wonder if tuning can do much about that and you're going to have to wait for the turbo to spool up anyway.... though at 5psi, not long :) Sean? I'm speculating again, and I'm definitely not qualified to do that!!

O/T: My 4EAT actually shifted very very nice and smoothly and quickly and only rarely lagged, having bought the car at 76k and remaining this way even in cold weather up to 92 or 95k or around there, when strictly as a preventative maintenance move, I had the ATF and differential oils changed, now it's the slushbox everyone talks about, and I don't understand what happened... like I said... OFF TOPIC.. but I wonder just what the hell happened. How could it have been so good to me before...

Archived