LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
number7 and jksnyder....you want a good opinion for modding your 2.5i right now? If you're that hungry to mod your car at the moment, i reccomend doing some suspension mods, though you wont see any power gains you can have alot of fun with suspension mods. Pick up Rallitek's front and rear sway kit with endlinks, just that alone you'll notice a huge differance and handling, I went with coils for my suspension (cusco zero2 coils) but you could also go with springs, i've heard nothing but good things about rallitek's springs from other members on here, swift makes good springs too but you'll have to upgrade your struts to billstein's or koni's to handle their drop. I also reccomend a good wheel/tire combo as well and you can have alot of fun with your car with suspension upgrades. with my setup (rallitek 22 rear/19mm front sways, cusco zero 2 coils at full camber, and prodrive gt1's 18 x 7.5 with general exclamation 225's ) ive felt a huge differant in handling, if you want to go on a spirited drive or having fun on windy roads, its pretty cool to be able to take a turn at 50-60mph and not have to brake at all. The turbo kit does seem like a good kit rallitek and avo make some good products together and they're oriented for a practicality and reliability stand point unlike most parts out there.

*kool aid man voice* oh yeahhh

I plan on doing all of that. Especially after tonight. I played keep up with my friend coming back from work and he drives a 3.0L V6 Tiborn. That shit books so bad compared to a stock 2.5i. My friend was taking on/off ramps at 50 and I could definitely feel my car sway when I'd quickly switch lanes at 90. It felt really sloppy. After that experience there's no doubt I'd want to have solid suspension before power. I'd probably roll my car if I did nothing but turbo to it :lol:

Honestly, I'm thinking about an sti swap. I'm going to build up my car and save before anything; but I plan on waiting until this kit comes out to compare the costs. From what I understand, a 2.5i block is only going to take you so far compared to an STI one. No sense in paying out the ass for a weak turbo if I can engine swap for something better at the same price.

Before adding power, I'd start modding in the following order:

1) stickier tires (with wider wheels if funds allow)

2) aftermarket springs & dampers OR coilovers

3) performance brake pads & fluid (try searching for LGT brake swap if funds allow)

4) front lower control arm rear bushings since they're probably torn

5) sway bars + endlinks + aftermarket sway bar mounts

6) if you want to, chassis bracing would be last

I would only go the route of the STI swap if you're aiming for more than 270 crank hp (my estimate of what the kit would take the 2.5i to based on their 2.5RS kit). An STI engine swap would probably cost as much if not more than the AVO kit, and cause more headaches IMO. Heck, I'd rather trade-in for an LGT to save the headaches of the STI swap if you're aiming for 270+ crank hp haha.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering why sway bars are so far down on the list since they're usually higher in the list for most people, here's a couple of excerpts from 2 of the most knowledgable members who track/auto-x their Legacy regularly:

"The bottom line is the best way to control weight transfer is with properly stiff struts and springs. Swaybars make the suspension less independant so they're only meant as a final tweak in handling behavior. People with soft springs and stiff bars have therefore sacrificed grip for handling behavior. Also, sways dont help with squat or dive so they are a poor solution to control weight transfer. This is what I tell everyone who asks me: Get a stiffer matched spring/strut combo, or coilovers, and see how you like the car before you go for sways." - whitetiger

"I think it's just better to spend that money on the shocks. Too much bar will cause the inside tire to lift up because the opposite side's shock will be under full compression and the spring will also be not stiff enough to keep the bar affective. If you go too big, it'll show and you'll probably end up giving up overall grip." - Xenonk

EDIT: this thread got totally derailed AGAIN, partially my fault as well :lol: just wanted to make sure Number7 got off to a proper start on his car. Back on topic guys!

Hey Sean,

Any idea of when the AP for the Legacy 2.5i will release? the Impreza 2.5i guys are already having fun could we possibly get in on that as well? Also how functional would that AP be for us? I ask b/c a few guys that have or want to run UEL asked me about using the AP to turn off the rear O2 sensor and leave the front intact for fueling purposes? or would the AP be a medium for eMaps ? Say export stock map with UELs and get a tuner to adjust AFRs etc then reflash via AP ?? :):lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Just as a minor update - we've got a final production kits just a 2-4 weeks away. However, that is being used to install on our own 2.5i (as soon as we get one), so we can create tuning maps and polish off any unknowns. Once we've got everything 100%, then we'll start shipping.

And in case it's not been said before - this will be a FMIC-based kit instead of TMIC, as we've come to the conclusion that overall it will be cheaper that way than asking our customers to source a hoodscoop prolific hood + possibly getting it painted.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Well, I don't actually have one in front of me... But, it should have:

FMIC and associated piping

Up-pipe to turbo

Turbocharger

Downpipe

BOV

All necessary nuts, bolts, oil lines, water lines, and other bits necessary.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Can you confirm which header style it will mate up to? '05s use an outlet location same as where a borla 17183 style ends up whereas '06+ Legacys use a different configuration altogether.

Will the FMIC work with factory foglights?

Can you confirm which header style it will mate up to? '05s use an outlet location same as where a borla 17183 style ends up whereas '06+ Legacys use a different configuration altogether.

Will the FMIC work with factory foglights?

That is a good question as you use the RS style manifold but have the ECU of a 4th Gen 2.5i

Archived