LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i just upgraded from my 2.5i to a LGT, my brother has a 07 Spec B(that is powered by Rallitek/AVO's stg 3 kit free plug for sean!) i'm not bashing it, i just dont see the point in modding the 2.5i anymore, other than suspension to enhance daily driving situations (when i had my sways and coils on my 2.5i the comfort level and handling was like day and night compared to stock) and visuals, n.sane ive been a fan of what you've done to your car visually its nicer than alot of LGT's i see on here. but power modifications i just dont see the point its just alot of money to be spent for minimal gains, for someone looking to mod their car for more power, i'm just saying there's better options

Gday

I have seen a number of na turbo jobs. Why do it?

well they have bottom end grunt which low comp turbos dont.

Its dead easy to put a TD-04, injectors, fuel pump etc..Its all been done on the rex.

What is important is the boost level and control.. The beauty is that there are SOME tuners who have experience with the standard ECU and that is where the secret to drivability and reliabilty rests.

Apart from the above they make a dam good sleeper with superb response.

Cheers,, Mark

IMO there is always a "better" way to get the same result but that is not always the question. If I ask how to get more power from my 2.5i? Trading it for a turbo doesn't answer the question, the 2.5i will still have the same amount of power. I am a big fan of doing things your own way, and given the limited aftermarket for these cars I can understand the statements about the cost to benefit. But that just means to me I am going to have to work harder to find ways to maximize what I have to spend.

It's not about going faster in and of itself it is about modifying a specific car, the 2.5i, to go faster. I for one would like to see more N/A motor mods, it just seems everyone that owns a subie is scared to death of changing anything that isn't a direct replacement part. That is speaking from my readings on here and lgt.org and foz.org.

There is not any plans for such at this time - the costs for tooling up such a kit would bring up the price of the kit to more than 3.0 owners would be willing to pay.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

The H6 feels like the most neglected n/a on this board (yeah i know its legacyGT.com). Its ashame its getting excluded.

Its a more realistic way to get more power out of a car than waiting 3 years for this kit to come out....if it ever does :rolleyes:

Look we understand you wish you had a faster car. Thanks as Sean stated lets just keep to Turbo Subaru Talk :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really hope this goes through. I couldn't afford a wrx (along w/ the insurance price) and I've yet to see a used stick GT in my area. I ended up getting a used MT 2.5i Legacy in Atlantic Blue Pearl for 9k recently. The 2.5i is definitely a step up from the pos 97 saturn station wagon I used to drive, but after driving my friends turbo'd GTI...things just aren't the same. The moment I stepped out of the GTI and saw the Atlantic Blue on my car, I got this horrible feeling that I got stuck with a chick car. Reading about how limited the after market options are didn't make things much better.

I started reading back on this thread and I'm just wondering if this is still going to happen since its been 3 years in the making. It seems like you've had to keep pushing deadlines back, is this kit still possible? I'm a noob to all of this so try and go easy on me if these are bad questions. I just really want this thing on my car. Having a turbo'd sleeper with low insurance would be too much fun. And, when all said and done the price would be about what I'd pay for a used MT 05LGT.

I can give a minor update - pieces of the kit are in production at this time. I can't give a solid eta, other than within this year, because once a full production kit is done, we still need to fit a finished product to a car and work out tuning issues. That could go quick, that could take a while. That's one of those things that you can't rush.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

^ That's how you know when a product is well made :) thanks for the feedback! I'd rather have it not rushed for maximum reliability.

Same here. Thanks for the update Paul. I'm glad things are still moving forward and I'm really looking forward to sometime this year. :)

I just bought a 2005 2.5i Legacy. There isn't any way to put a turbocharger on from a Legacy GT? I bought a 2.5i to avoid insurance (i'm 17). Also if I am looking to get an exhaust system should I wait until I can fit my car with a turbo?

I just bought a 2005 2.5i Legacy. There isn't any way to put a turbocharger on from a Legacy GT? I bought a 2.5i to avoid insurance (i'm 17). Also if I am looking to get an exhaust system should I wait until I can fit my car with a turbo?

Look through here for general info on modding 2.5i

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-subaru-legacy-2-5i-115322.html

A turbocharger isnt exactly a bolt-on thing. The engine bay is completely different on the GT. Not to mention ECU tuning...

NO!

Basically you are looking at spending $4-5K MORE on top of your purchase price for which you could have bought a used LGT. Don't try to turbo your 2.5i for at least 10 reasons it is FAIL!

you're 17 you already have a more cooler car than the rest of your high school buddies. Get an exhaust do suspension upgrade DO NOT BUY AN INTAKE :)

NO!

Basically you are looking at spending $4-5K MORE on top of your purchase price for which you could have bought a used LGT. Don't try to turbo your 2.5i for at least 10 reasons it is FAIL!

you're 17 you already have a more cooler car than the rest of your high school buddies. Get an exhaust do suspension upgrade DO NOT BUY AN INTAKE :)

So is this to say that the prospective 2.5i AVO turbo kit is a bad idea as well? If you got a turbo done now it would obviously be more expensive and less reliable then this kit because your buying individual parts that might not work well with each other. What I want to know is, if the price is right on this new 2.5i kit, what's holding you back from doing it mechanically speaking? And you're absolutely sure a CAI is a bad idea on the 2.5i as well? My friends have been saying it'll work fine but what do they know.

So is this to say that the prospective 2.5i AVO turbo kit is a bad idea as well? If you got a turbo done now it would obviously be more expensive and less reliable then this kit because your buying individual parts that might not work well with each other. What I want to know is, if the price is right on this new 2.5i kit, what's holding you back from doing it mechanically speaking? And you're absolutely sure a CAI is a bad idea on the 2.5i as well? My friends have been saying it'll work fine but what do they know.

Test show that the only thing besides the stock intake that works would be a hybrid where you replace the pre MAF section with a cone or other type of induction piping. Even in turbos the stock intake is good up to stage 2! Subaru doesnt offer the SPT intake anymore due to this reason.

Mechanically speaking the turbo (VF40 or 46), exhaust manifold, turbo back exhaust (you would only need the down pipe and mid pipe from a LGT to mate to your stock 2.5i Y-pipe flange) boost control solenoid and turbo inlet can be had used for under $1K

Hell you could probably get it for less than $500 to be honest(all used stock LGT parts of course) you only need to run 4-6 psi of boost and with a turbo you could use a CAI or a FMIC.

Once you nail down your hardware of choice you will have to tune the thing b/c the stock 2.5i ECU doesnt know that you have "boost" and it doesnt need to know if you use a manual controller for boost but you will need to scale air fuel ratios, timing under WOT,idle etc.

After all that (and I left out some key things like custom UP pipe or notched cross member) you still have to take into account the rest of the drive line with the weak link being the clutch pack. You could upgrade with a moderate clutch from Exedy or ACT for around $500.

Point being YOU CAN TURBO for cheaper than this kits we all acknowledge that but the unknowns that the folks at AVO and COBB will work out for the end users if what is really worth it. Now if you have a good tuner or the know how yourself go for it. I can easily perform the mechanical alterations to my Legacy without a doubt but I am not well versed in tuning.

The price tag also doesnt take into effect the drivetrain as well and to hear Exedy tell it they dont make a clutch disc upgrade for the 2.5i (however i have a hunch that the 06-07 WRX clutch pack will fit with a LGT fork) so there will be other costs associated with this kits.

But they have made a turbo kit for the older cars already and it is ROCK SOLID! :) So that gives them the edge if I didnt care about my extended warranty and my car wasnt a 2008 i would have long ago attempted this on my own and paid for a tune at EFI :redface:

Damn, good answer. Like I said before, I'm a car noob and I understood maybe half of what you were talking about, but atleast now I've got reading material.

Point being YOU CAN TURBO for cheaper than this kits we all acknowledge that but the unknowns that the folks at AVO and COBB will work out for the end users if what is really worth it.

I didn't entirely understand you on this though.

Let me explain a little further, the parts that comprise this kit can be purchased for under $1k used. Throw in a clutch pack and associated parts/labor you might reach $2K that might still be less that 50% of the sticker of the kit. I think the majority of us would spring for the used parts but we also would be really cautious about tuning and all the parts working with our cars seamlessly.

AVO uses top notch materials to build the kits and they put a lot of time into ensuring that the tuning is solid so when you drop the $$$ on the kits it will run for YEARS error free. Just look around the Subaru sites like rs25.com and nasioc.com you will find that the people that bought their kits for 2000-2005 Impreza's are still running strong.

In a nutshell most of us can put the components together but not all of us are confident in the longevity but some of us are willing to pay to have a reliable turbo option:)

Archived