LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

does it matter if the car is PZEV or not for this kit? still learning this stuff so bare with my noobie question..

PZEV models can still use the turbo kit. As far as we know right now. We are not foreseeing any tuning issues with our Accessport, or install issues.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
I agree, but I could at least afford the accessport right now and start playing with that in the meantime. :icon_bigg

That i do agree on no reason for that aspect to be lagging so grossly behind I mean it was tested and release for 2.5i GD bodies WHY not 2.5i BL !!!!!\

that would give us a few more ponies for fun:wub:

Or you could get opensource tuned for a lot less money... Infamous1 will tune for $150...

Yeah and you should post up some numbers of before and after your tune so other interested parties can follow if they choose to I think the AP offers buyers a piece of mind that opensource/email tunes doesn't. Not saying that OS is bad ive only heard good things about it but I think the ease of the AP is it selling point plug in play literally.

If i knew more about tuning i would totally go that route but I dont want to learn to tune on my brand new 2008 BL EJ253 engine. :eek:

Yeah and you should post up some numbers of before and after your tune so other interested parties can follow if they choose to I think the AP offers buyers a piece of mind that opensource/email tunes doesn't. Not saying that OS is bad ive only heard good things about it but I think the ease of the AP is it selling point plug in play literally.

If i knew more about tuning i would totally go that route but I dont want to learn to tune on my brand new 2008 BL EJ253 engine. :eek:

You should work on your punctuation and grammar :).

Seriously though, there's not a lot to be gained simply through tuning on the NA (without doing cams etc). While it would be nice to put the car on a dyno, I don't think it's worth the cost at this point. This is partly due to the fact that I've already done a few mods so I don't have a true baseline to work from. That said, I am hoping there will be enough of an increase with a tune that I'll be able to feel it but I think it will be more 'driveability' type enhancements and an increase of another 10hp or so at the very most. I expect I'm already above stock hp with free flow air filter, throttle body spacer, lightened crank pulley, headers and free flow mufflers.

As far as flashing the car's ECU with an opensource tune using a laptop, it's really not that different from plugging in an AP. Just a few more keystrokes. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was.

The turbo kit will yield far more significant gains. It's something I am definitely considering for the future.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDMS-1998-2003-IMPREZA-2-0L-2-5L-T28-TURBO-KIT-98-03_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b5cb54fcQQitemZ110424184060QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Any chance this could work as a much cheaper starter kit for our cars to atleast give us the possibility of reaching a wrx-ish turbo?

Not quite sure ive never seen this kit until now :eek:

You should work on your punctuation and grammar :).

Seriously though, there's not a lot to be gained simply through tuning on the NA (without doing cams etc). While it would be nice to put the car on a dyno, I don't think it's worth the cost at this point. This is partly due to the fact that I've already done a few mods so I don't have a true baseline to work from. That said, I am hoping there will be enough of an increase with a tune that I'll be able to feel it but I think it will be more 'driveability' type enhancements and an increase of another 10hp or so at the very most. I expect I'm already above stock hp with free flow air filter, throttle body spacer, lightened crank pulley, headers and free flow mufflers.

As far as flashing the car's ECU with an opensource tune using a laptop, it's really not that different from plugging in an AP. Just a few more keystrokes. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was.

The turbo kit will yield far more significant gains. It's something I am definitely considering for the future.

Hey quick responses on the forum broo:mad::lol::) I not as concerned :redface:LOL!

Not quite sure ive never seen this kit until now :eek:

me either, just want to try something out just to have the ability to one day have a nice turbo set up, for under a few g's since ive seen imprezas and vdubs with cheaper kits that fly. figured you can swap out the turbo and intercooler afterward since i doubt this is a solid kit. anyone have any info on this?

me either, just want to try something out just to have the ability to one day have a nice turbo set up, for under a few g's since ive seen imprezas and vdubs with cheaper kits that fly. figured you can swap out the turbo and intercooler afterward since i doubt this is a solid kit. anyone have any info on this?

I think the kits is nice! The only thing you will have to consider are: Down Pipe Up pipe and maybe altering the routing of the FMIC piping. I think the impreza kits from AVO dont require engine mnmgt due to the low levels of boost. COuld be something worht looking into

About that kits you referenced I was curious b/c one got sold yesterday, so i asked the seller how would you run the kit and a bolt on or would you need stand alone EM. If you could make a kit that ran without the need of EM (low boost) you would make a killing.

Well that kits states Impreza. You know if I were to make a kit that would run stand alone ( no Engine mngmt) i would go all existing subbie parts the biggest hurdle is that damn MAF sensor. it would be really easy actually (mechanically) to bolt a turbo on our cars but the ECU would have to be tuned somewhat

It says in the thing universal piping. Oh well, someone on here should be a guinea pig with it and try it out, I'm sure if someone searches nasioc they can find out who the person is who bought the kit as well.

eBay turbo kit for $700 sounds like a recipe for disaster. The Legacy is a quality car, so put quality parts on it! The kit looks like something a Civic, Cavalier, etc owner with jeans down to his knees, a bandana around his head, and a bling necklace would buy, along with a horribly fitted eBay ricer body kit :spin:

Of course, that's just IMO :lol:

i posted a thread on nasioc about it, i got the typical trolling from the nasioc crowd.

Yeah NEVER visit NASIOC unless you need some to read about something that may help you out that site is HORRIBLE. Those people flame and pounce on anything that isn't "regular". I was posting about a guys N/A header build giving him some pointers and suggestion and the trolls rolled in so hard bashing him for putting a UEL on a N/A and myself for "contributing to the demish of his car". You would be better off going to rs25.com :)

But that kit seems "ok" but idk about slapping it on my EJ253!

You should create a braking and suspension package togo along with the turbo kit.

First, I just bought the Rallitek front/rear swaybar kit, Rallitek HD front endlinks, AVO 90mm rear outback endlinks, and AVO rear swaybar mounting brackets, and extended length exhaust hangars in case of the exhaust interference issue that some have - Wish it had just come as a kit, (maybe a Legacy version and an Outback version as the rear endlinks differ) since you need all of these things to properly install the sways anyway.... but a great, economical start for the suspension.

+1 to the brake upgrades, I hadn't even thought of this but if the turbo kit turns out to be more powerful than a bone stock XT, will definitely need better brakes.

I see some allegedly oem-fit brake kits (when using the stock 16" wheels) on eBay that come with crossdrilled/chamfered and slotted zinc plated rotors and semi-metallic pads, for all 4 wheels, for a very reasonable price - almost too reasonable, I sincerely question the quality of the rotors... I can't help but wonder if they're really just cheap Carquest rotors that someone machined slots/holes into. I would pay a little more to know they came from Rallitek, using good composite materials, but keep it affordable and that would definitely suffice for most people's budgets (I'd say keep it in the $xxx.xx price range including labor and you'd have a much bigger market). Just warn that they're not for racing and the die hards won't have recourse when they melt at the track! ;)

Kind of off-topic but still an important consideration when adding significant power.

So hurry up already with this kit! ;) Much love,

-Luf

Archived