LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

I guess the might. But most oil analysis places don't even test low-temp viscosity anyway, all about viscosity breakdown at 100 degree C in terms of oils failing over time. That's if the dealer even bothers.

If engine failure has happened and car is at the dealer, the oil analysis post-damage is going to be a mess anyway in terms of viscosity do to fuel/antifreeze dilution along with a nice collection of metals.

They probably could go full-out and do a component analysis somewhere that could detect the 'recipe' of oil.

I'd be worried more about mods first. Then again, I and others have gotten powertrain work done under warranty and modified without trouble.

Just do an oil analysis if you are worried, and then stop worrying about oil choice. :)

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its just the nature of the boxer engine design I think. It just doesn't like thin viscosities especially at highway speeds (or high revs). If you do a lot of extended highway driving definitely throw in something a little thicker or use something a little less refined but still good.

Porsche uses Mobil 1 0w-40 as factory fill. So I doubt that.

Might want to check over on bobistheoilguy.com; bunch of lube fanatics over there and the consensus is that Mobil I 5w-30 is very thin and GC is great stuff. Consensus is also that Subaru's are generally easy on oil so if you are worried with synthetic dyno should work fine. When I switched to GC I could feel the engine running smoother than with Group III synthetics.

Its just the nature of the boxer engine design I think. It just doesn't like thin viscosities especially at highway speeds (or high revs). If you do a lot of extended highway driving definitely throw in something a little thicker or use something a little less refined but still good.

My car was fine with the oil until I went on the trip upstate for the weekend when I got back I continued to drive it until the oil change and that is when I noticed it was low. I double checked it before we left too.

What I think you fail to understand is what the 2 numbers in an oil's viscosity rating mean. The "0" in a 0w30 is the COLD viscosity, the "30" is the viscosity when HOT. There is no downside to having a lower cold viscosity, it just means that the oil will get to parts that need it sooner. The second number is what we should be concerned with at operating temperatures. A 30 weight oil is thinner than a 40 weight oil. A 0w40 is THICKER at operating temps than a 10w30. People who don't know this assume that the "0" cold rating means that the oil is thin. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, the Castrol 0w30 that I use in my car is a very thick 30 weight, it borders on being a 40 weight.

Pardon me for being a lube n00b....

How do you "know" that the 5w30 was way too thin and that 10w30 is "just right"?

driving the car with 5w30 m1 resulted in the car drinking the oil (1 qt over 4k) :) 10w30 doesnt burn up as easily. thats how i came to that conclusion. even though they both are 30w. nothing scientific. figured its best to keep the viscosity as low as needed so that why i didnt go to a 40w.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Have only used valvoline possibly because they sponsored me in kart racing 20 years ago and I am loyal to my sponsors. But.......I have traveled 160k in my 2002 B4 and it still uses no oil between changes (10k). Different strokes for different folks and yes on a 630km trip which I make regularly I average 100km so go figure.http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

could have just been mobil 1 ....I don't know... what I do know is after about 2k miles I was about .5 qt low

When I switched to Mobil 1 I was also down 1/2 - on the first change. Since then, no change. Current mileage 28,000.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I use Pennzoil Platinum and it does gets consumed a little. I haven't had a subaru legacy yet that didn't burn some oil. I am thinking a blend might be right but then would it really be much different if the car burns dino oil too?

To clarify, is German Castroil fully synthetic, like Mobil 1?

0W30 Syntec (made in Germany or EU) is "scientificaly" speaking synthetic oil.

All other Syntec oils are "legally" speaking synthetic oils. They are synthetic only in US.

I have heard opinions that two best oils readily available on the market are Castrol Syntec 0W30 (aka German Syntec) and Mobil 1 0W40. They both meet demanding VW 502.00 and 503.01.

Valvoline Synpower 5W40 also meets all VW spec.

My dealer also claims that Mobil 1 is not perfect (I used 5W30) so I started using Syntec 0W30.

We shall see how it works.

Krzys

PS By the way I need to check the oil level ;-)

Porsche uses Mobil 1 0w-40 as factory fill. So I doubt that.

Again they use 0W40 not 5W30:rolleyes: 0W40 is actually ok. You won't find a Porsche owner throwing in 5w30 or 0w30 or 0w20. I am NOT saying that Mobil 1 is bad oil!:rolleyes: Its just that their lower vis are really thin. All I am saying is put a higher viscosity in and be happy.

What I think you fail to understand is what the 2 numbers in an oil's viscosity rating mean. The "0" in a 0w30 is the COLD viscosity, the "30" is the viscosity when HOT. There is no downside to having a lower cold viscosity, it just means that the oil will get to parts that need it sooner. The second number is what we should be concerned with at operating temperatures. A 30 weight oil is thinner than a 40 weight oil. A 0w40 is THICKER at operating temps than a 10w30. People who don't know this assume that the "0" cold rating means that the oil is thin. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, the Castrol 0w30 that I use in my car is a very thick 30 weight, it borders on being a 40 weight.

Actually I know this already. I AM referring to the higher number in my statements. Thats why I said earlier that 5w50 is fine but only the Europeans get it :(

Man this is why I hate oil threads :)

is GC readily available in pepboys, autozone, walmart, etc?

GC is only available in Autozone in US. And only the bigger Autozone would have them. I went to 4 Autozones in my area before I found some. I change my oil every 5k miles with sync. I know I can go longer but I'm just not comfortable doing that. Besides, I don't want to have to justify why I went 10k before oil change to the service manager if I ever need engine work done under warranty... Anyway, I think I'm going back to Mobile 1 for the next oil change since I just don't think 5k interval warrants using GC.

One more thing, I put GC in the car just before my 3k miles trip and by the time I got back I'm down about 1/2 qt.

i've run Elf 5W40 Excellium 100% synth. for the last 10000km's. i changed after 5000km;s in both instances and less then 1/8 of a quart was burnt/gone if even that much. Compared to about 3/4 or so with the reg. dino crap.

Burning oil is sort of a boxer engine flaw, even 100k porsches burn some oil. its just the nature of the beast i am told.

Porsche's burn ALOT of oil. My buddy's 2002 911 Turbo X50 burns about 1 qt. every 800-1000 miles. He's on the Porsche forums and apparently that is considered completely normal by owners and the factory. He carries around a few qts. of oil in the car and tops it off every time he gets gas (14 mpg BTW).

FWIW, my LGT ate about half a quart of mobil1 5w-30 over 5k miles, and that was with a small leak at the oilpan drain bolt. Changed to German Castrol, and last weekend I had to add a half quart at only 2750 miles and with a non-leaking drain bolt. I guess the car likes it .. in a bad way :p

Ok after reading all the post I’m more convinced than ever…….synthetic oil molecules most be smaller than Natural oil…..therefore if you use the same weight 5w30 natural vs. 5w30 syth…the synthetic well “burn” ……My dealer uses Castral synthetic blend ……I’m sticking to it……

GC is only available in Autozone in US. And only the bigger Autozone would have them. I went to 4 Autozones in my area before I found some. I change my oil every 5k miles with sync. I know I can go longer but I'm just not comfortable doing that. Besides, I don't want to have to justify why I went 10k before oil change to the service manager if I ever need engine work done under warranty... Anyway, I think I'm going back to Mobile 1 for the next oil change since I just don't think 5k interval warrants using GC.

One more thing, I put GC in the car just before my 3k miles trip and by the time I got back I'm down about 1/2 qt.

Why 5K? My 2005 GT has 7.5K OCI for normal conditions.

Krzys

If you read the definition of 'extreme conditions' in the manual, you'll find about 80% of drivers fit that category.

really? I called SOA on that and they defined extreme cold as either Alaska or northern Minnesota, extreme salt as living right on the ocean and extreme heat as Arizona in the summer.

I don't think that covers 80% of drivers.

short town trips also count i think.

like if you start up the car, drive down to the local grocery store, a 2-3 minute drive, then shut off the engine...i believe that qualifies as extreme..

at least it did for for my other car.

car for sale. PM me!

Archived