LegacyGT.com

The "unofficial" leaked Motor Trend 2008 Impreza pics

SWP-LegacyGT

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who would have thought the LGT and FXT were the test bed for the Imprezza Drive Train????

I would have thought it would make more sense to do just the opposite. Test out a new drive train on a widely sold high volume car to get more data. But hey, by going the other way SOA has more responsible drivers providing them with that data.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

new pics at Road and Track. It looks better - the grille isn't as chromey as the other pictures had us believe.

Personally I'm waiting to see the sedan (and the STi, of course).

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=5096

The front grille just looks cheap and dated to me. They really could have fixed this. The rear could look good, but the color pattern is distracting, but they completely whiffed on the front.

since its obviously using the Legacy TMIC, one supposes the turbo must be based on (or it's using) the VF-40 housing. I don't think you can turn the compressor outlet enough - or you sure wouldn't want to - to make it up into the TMIC molded housing. but supposedly its still rated in the 230 hp range so it can't be the VF-40 turbo. or they are really "detuning" it or purposely underrating it.

:iam:

they aren't "detuning" the vf-40, they are merely turning down the boost like they've always done (td04 wrx/forester/baja).

and why have the press omitted pictures of rear seats/hatch area of the new design? hello, subaru introduces a hatch, and nobody cares to show the hatch. we've all seen the dash already, show us som'n new. duh!

The pics are photoshops of a driver and interior from a Euro-Ford Focus.

the car is driven by remote control. the interior doesn't exist yet.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

the current 6 year old WRX platform hangs with the MS3. The new one is shorter, lighter, longer wheelbase, new suspension, and has the LGT engine. Me figures MS3 = road kill

From Car & Driver, May 2007

Mazdaspeed 3

0-60: 5.4 sec ; 1/4 mile: 14.0 sec @ 101 mph

WRX TR

0-60: 5.3 sec ; 1/4 mile: 14.1 sec @ 98 mph

So they're pretty close right now, with the MS3 losing the 0-60 because it reduces the torque for the first 2 gears.

However, the current WRX hatch/wagon is 155 lb heavier than the TR. And according to the Motor Trend article, the motor is carryover from today's model, with the torque curve revised to peak 800 rpms sooner. It seems about a wash if you get the new hatch.

My opinion: don't race an MS3 from 0-100 mph. The WRX loses, 14.9 sec vs. 13.6 sec for the MS3.

From Car & Driver, May 2007

Mazdaspeed 3

0-60: 5.4 sec ; 1/4 mile: 14.0 sec @ 101 mph

WRX TR

0-60: 5.3 sec ; 1/4 mile: 14.1 sec @ 98 mph

So they're pretty close right now, with the MS3 losing the 0-60 because it reduces the torque for the first 2 gears.

However, the current WRX hatch/wagon is 155 lb heavier than the TR. And according to the Motor Trend article, the motor is carryover from today's model, with the torque curve revised to peak 800 rpms sooner. It seems about a wash if you get the new hatch.

My opinion: don't race an MS3 from 0-100 mph. The WRX loses, 14.9 sec vs. 13.6 sec for the MS3.

Look at the trap speed for both. A "hypothetical" roll race would deem a victory for the MS3 too...

thing is the car in the OP is actually a poor rendering. don't confuse glitzy graphics and texturing with a good render. The perspectives are all wrong for the most part. The front of the car can't decide which way it's pointing. The hood scoop looks like it's angled to the right while the car is pointing to the left, one fog light is pointing left while the one hidden by the bumper is pointing right, same goes with the far side mirror and somewhat the headlight, it is the hood scoop that annoys me the most.

I like that old rendering much better, that looks like a good car. I hate the grill on the OP car and the taillights (oh GOD the tail lights)

You do realize that was a real photo, right?

I showed the Motor Trend photos to my wife, and she actually liked it, especially the front. Maybe Subaru designed this for women.

Motor Trend

Good thing for Subaru, serious cars aren't all about styling.

If that's the case, then they better get serious about the STI version of this Impreza.

Look at the trap speed for both. A "hypothetical" roll race would deem a victory for the MS3 too...

And you would be correct, sir:

Rolling 5-60 mph:

MS3: 6.0 sec

WRX: 6.5 sec

As a side note, even though the WRX had good performance numbers in this 5-car comparison (MS3, WRX, Mini Cooper S, Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, VW GTI), it came dead last.

As a side note, even though the WRX had good performance numbers in this 5-car comparison (MS3, WRX, Mini Cooper S, Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, VW GTI), it came dead last.

Which is why it should be making at least 240 hp for '08, though it is 50 lbs lighter.

Is SI drive only in the Legacy? Seems like Subaru would wanna put it in everything and I havent seen anything on it for the WRX. But, I think I would want it in any Subaru just for having to cruise on the highway. Through the curves Id utilize sport sharp mode and since I got a new job in which I still have to take the back roads to get to it, well I can still have fun. :redface:

just a side note, hit the "DSC OFF" switch in the Speed3 and the ECU boost reduction in 1st & 2nd gear is turned off. You can light up the front tires in the 1-2 and the 2-3 shifts. I realize that's mostly stupid, but if a MS3 has the traction control and skid control turned off, it only gets worse for the REX driver.

the LED's in the tail lights look like they came from some cheap sign. still don't really like it. fingers crossed for the STI.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2007/Q1/033020071816546254.jpg

Not glad I checked back in on this thread...originally quit reading after the 12th post. I was sure this was a bad joke photchop by godwhomismike or redbeast (I haven't received the May issue of Mofo Trend yet). Subaru HAS to be kidding. Sell your Fuji Heavy Industries stock now.
It is still ugly.

It's Car and Driver... I wouldn't expect anything but last place for a Subaru in one of their comparisons... They consistently put Subaru at the back of the pack when other magazines don't. Edmunds did the same comparison

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=117762

Sixth Place: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged

Fifth Place: 2006 Volkswagen GTI

Fourth Place: 2006 Mini Cooper S

Third Place: 2006 Honda Civic Si

Second Place: 2006 Subaru WRX TR

First Place: 2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Other sources have said that the new WRX is getting a new Turbo and revised engine... from the looks of the engine bay... me thinks it's a Legacy GT engine with the v40 turbo. The Wrex is already lighter than the Legacy and the new one is supposed to be lighter still. Also... the DWB suspension is awesome. Have you driven a Tribeca? power aside... that thing bombs into the corners with a gusto.Taking into account the weight and the higher center of gravity... the suspension set up is a LOT better than LGT. I would like to say it now... the MS3 is undone

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After seeing the road and track pictures, I have to admit I like it.. I dont care what you haters say :)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2007/Q1/3302007181217.jpg

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I can't get past the grille.

Yeah... that is the WORST part for me, as well. If it had a more aggressive nose... it wouldn't be that bad. Hell.. I'd prefer the airplane grille!

Archived