LegacyGT.com

The "unofficial" leaked Motor Trend 2008 Impreza pics

SWP-LegacyGT

I think it would look better even with the airplane grille on it.

+1 That front end is horrible. In fact, I'll have to agree with an earlier poster in that there's not a single line on the exterior that I find to be aesthetically pleasing. It's just a mishmash of odd curves and cutlines. Disappointing.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man this car is getting some serious forum grumbling all over the internet :) I might pony up the dollars to go to the NY auto show if this thing will be there, its getting famous, mainly for the wrong reasons lol :D

I don't see prices for turbos dropping anytime soon. You'd have to convince people first to buy this monstrosity before the aftermarket jumps in. Looking at those pictures, I think it's gonna be a pretty big hurdle to jump.

I really want to like this company, but I've yet to see a move since I bought my '05 that makes me think they have a clue what is going on. Is any market research done before putting this stuff out? It doesn't take a year of sales data for the Tribeca to figure out that people don't like the exterior styling. This could have been solved on a Saturday for $50 a person and a subaru tote bag.

We asked our sources at Subaru for a few hints as to what the car will be, and they just responded by telling us to keep a close eye on the New York Auto Show. Not much help, huh? These same sources also said that most of the rumors currently surrounding the next-gen Impreza are about as wrong as wrong can be. Does this mean that the next Impreza won't be a five-door hatch?

~NYAS

It is interesting... Autoblog had 80 comments within a day, and ALL of them negative.

It is interesting what that says about subaru as a brand.

A lot of people who know and read about cars were paying attention to this. And all of them don't like what they see. Maybe one out of 50 don't get violently ill at the sight of it, but even those who tolerate it, aren't expressing affection for this new design.

What do people always say about catering to automotive enthusiasts... "Don't. It won't pay off..."?? Well, this is the result of ignoring the enthusiast buyer. Read it and weep.

If Subaru had catered to the enthusiast, and designed the new Impreza to be a knockout, inside, outside, and underneath...

(sidebar: I wholeheartedly disagree that this car would be panned, even if it looked good, as a previous poster used a ferrari analogy earlier... If the new Impreza looked good, people would be gunning for competition with all the people who have given the Evo X and Lancer revision all it's press...)

... if it had been a knockout, and enthusiasts were excited about the prospect of a new Impreza/WRX/STi, they would also make that known, and the car would be MUCH more likely to sell, get public exposure outside the enthusiast communities, and again become popular.

A good looking Impreza would probably be even more popular than the GD series.

Some people have said that coupe devotees should just give that up, (mostly over at NASIOC) that Subaru is not ever going to fly that flag again. Yet I can think of two reasons for that not to be a reasonable excuse.

1: they say that the Japanese home market doesn't like the wide opening doors of coupes in their urban areas, and are less likely to produce them. To that I answer: 350z, Skyline/G35, GT-R, 240sx, s2000, Civic, RSX, NSX, RX7, RX8, Miata/Eunos, Supra, Solara, and many other japanese-built coupes.

Even if not all of those are offered in Japan, they are offered in the US... Which brings me to my next point....

2: if they can build a specific sedan body-style for just the north american markets, could that not have been a coupe, instead, or in addition to a sedan bodystyle?

If they indeed don't want coupes in Japan (which I doubt...) they could offer it as a special US bodystyle. They already plan to, as a sedan (and a tiny sedan, at that. A coupe or 3-door hatch would probably do no worse, and potentially better.

It just seems like Subaru (and not just SOA, evidently) is going after mainstream cars, like Toyota Matrix, and Mazda 3. At the expense of their loyal, more enthusiast base for the Impreza line. (the economy car buyers will buy based on price, or on subaru loyalty, not on the merits or demerits of the design. So designing the car for them is designing a car for someone who doesn't care what it looks like.)

If they try to beat Toyota, (or even Honda or Mazda) at their own game, they will lose, and they will disappear. The impreza is not just an AWD version of the Yaris, or Corolla, or Matrix, or whatever appeals to the A-to-B crowd at the best rebates possible.

If they abandon the impreza's performance base market, as they seem to be trying to do, the remaining small economy car base market won't hold the model above the break-even waterline. There are too many other, cheaper competitors, that look better, to boot. Beggars can't be choosers, and they go to the cheap sticker prices. Counting on them as a profit generator is not exactly wise.

Enthusiasts are by definition, choosers. They are such devoted choosers, that some non-enthusiasts are swayed by what enthusiasts choose. (appearance of street cred: see V6 Camaro and Mustang for object lessons...) Subaru just threw what remained of that, away.

I hope something good comes of this, but I can't imagine what. A company can't keep handicapping it's own products, and hope to still grow their marketshare, and their brand image. This car reeks of committee think, and bureaucrat BS decision making, not a company that understands it's market, and takes pride in their product. The Tribeca has some of that, the Legacy has suffered for it, even to the point of losing the Wagon, and it only seems to be getting worse for Subaru.

I don't know where you got those pics from but I am seeing this as the NEW 2008 WRX Impreza pictures. I think it looks great!

http://images.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/112_0703_02z+2008_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti+front.jpg

PM Me for all your Modification Needs!

+1 IwannaSportSedan

Only time will tell with this thing.

But they just walked into a game full of hot BASE hatches (STI doesn't count) and these guys are playing tough. Subaru is going to have to bring a lot to the table to compete. AWD doesn't cut it in this crowd and Toyota is the Kobi Bryant on this court.

I don't know where you got those pics from but I am seeing this as the NEW 2008 WRX Impreza pictures. I think it looks great!

http://images.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/112_0703_02z+2008_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti+front.jpg

This is the hot, new styling I expected. But this is the only picture I have ever seen of it. I'd like to see it in sedan form.

+1 IwannaSportSedan

Only time will tell with this thing.

But they just walked into a game full of hot BASE hatches (STI doesn't count) and these guys are playing tough. Subaru is going to have to bring a lot to the table to compete. AWD doesn't cut it in this crowd and Toyota is the Kobi Bryant on this court.

The whole reason I stick with Subaru is AWD. I can't afford an Audi, so thats out. I dont want a Fusion. I want something small and sporty and I dont know what else I could get. A TSX AWD would be nice, but I wouldnt have the money for it even if it did exist.

That photo-chop is old, at least a couple of months. The pictures at the beginning of this thread have more credibility.

This thing is a hodge-podge of mangled graphics from other cars. Mostly existing STI, (hood scoop and air dam parts) and new Saab 9-5 racoon-eye headlights 'chopped on, as well as other rough 'chop details.

The car on the first post, that has been circulating for the last day or two, at least looks like a photo-realistic car, or a VERY good rendering, even if the car itself looks bad. We'll see for sure at NYIAS... but I don't hold much hope that the OP pictures are inaccurate.

The car on the first post, that has been circulating for the last day or two, at least looks like a photo-realistic car, or a VERY good rendering, even if the car itself looks bad. We'll see for sure at NYIAS... but I don't hold much hope that the OP pictures are inaccurate.

thing is the car in the OP is actually a poor rendering. don't confuse glitzy graphics and texturing with a good render. The perspectives are all wrong for the most part. The front of the car can't decide which way it's pointing. The hood scoop looks like it's angled to the right while the car is pointing to the left, one fog light is pointing left while the one hidden by the bumper is pointing right, same goes with the far side mirror and somewhat the headlight, it is the hood scoop that annoys me the most.

I like that old rendering much better, that looks like a good car. I hate the grill on the OP car and the taillights (oh GOD the tail lights)

http://www.taberwest.com/images/wrx003.jpg

ok.... which looks more plausibly real.

The first picture:

The hood scoop is recessed into the hood, not on top, like the current impreza. More like the 92x, and more inset and vertically larger than the Legacy's hood scoop.

The foglight on the off-side is half shrouded by the bumper cover. Half of the fog light is inset, the outboard half is protruding. that is why you can only see part of it.

The OP picture is grainy, and crappy, but the car looks like it could be metal, plastic, glass and rubber. A VERY BAD combination and arrangment. I agree that the tail lights are cheap and horrible.

The other photochop has really clumsy transitions. Talk about a hood scoop and headlights facing the wrong direction. That car looks like someone drew it, and I am not talking about chip foose. I am talking about someone with "limited" ability.

This could have been solved on a Saturday for $50 a person and a subaru tote bag.

+1,000,000

Have these people ever read any business books, articles, subscribed to a journal or thought of anything past their own intuition, which apparently sucks. Maybe if they weren't overly concerned about saving the rain forest and bumping butterflies they could conduct some actual market research and figure out that even beyond the enthusiast people don't buy ugly ass crap, unless it has a serious hook (ie Prius)

It is interesting... Autoblog had 80 comments within a day, and ALL of them negative.

It is interesting what that says about subaru as a brand.

A lot of people who know and read about cars were paying attention to this. And all of them don't like what they see. Maybe one out of 50 don't get violently ill at the sight of it, but even those who tolerate it, aren't expressing affection for this new design.

What do people always say about catering to automotive enthusiasts... "Don't. It won't pay off..."?? Well, this is the result of ignoring the enthusiast buyer. Read it and weep.

I bet you $1000 the skyline, a new market entry, does better in it's first year than the new WRX if it looks like these pictures. Some people are just grossly overemployed :confused:

The foglight on the off-side is half shrouded by the bumper cover. Half of the fog light is inset, the outboard half is protruding. that is why you can only see part of it.

see the thing is..you shouldn't be able to see that much fog light with the way the car is angled, and the light should, most definitely, not be facing toward the viewer. Same goes for the far head light and the side mirror.

When you were talking about a poor drawing you were referring to the crappy motor trend pictures and not the (in my opinion) better done STi rendering? By better done, i mean they at least had the perspective mostly right

Archived