LegacyGT.com

The "unofficial" leaked Motor Trend 2008 Impreza pics

SWP-LegacyGT

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im just laughing at all the ppl complaining, it seems like for the last several years, either Impreza or Legacy lines, nothing but nonstop complaints about everything. And the best part is different ppl complain about different things on the same car, which to me means, no one car is going to make everyone happy.

Ed

Are we going to keep posting the exact same time all day? :confused::lol: Please, this would entertain me for hours!!!!!

Fix your pics! :p

HA! me too...and I need to get work done.

Edumunds take is my exact same feeling:

What's Edmunds' take?

A lack of new engines and conservative styling makes this a tough sell to the Impreza faithful. The much broader audience of compact sedan and hatchback buyers, however, are likely to find this more grown-up Impreza more appealing than its predecessor. — Ed Hellwig, Senior Editor

The interior does look nice...the back and side profile is just too much Mazda 3 which works for them and I like it but c'mon when you have a great orginal rear and rear pillar window like the wagon use it!

Im just laughing at all the ppl complaining, it seems like for the last several years, either Impreza or Legacy lines, nothing but nonstop complaints about everything. And the best part is different ppl complain about different things on the same car, which to me means, no one car is going to make everyone happy.

Ed

Agreed...

my translation is the more a car is meant for the masses the more your going to have that...particuarly coming from a brand as niche and with quirky designs as Subaru...

Can you imagine what the Civic faithful thought when they first saw the new Civic Sedan! I am sure they love the new Si now but I am sure it was anarchy.

We are almost no better with all the stupid squabbling between the 05,06,07 models, like the differences are that significant. maybe we should use this 08 Impreza debacle to just focus on how petty, shallow and stupid our behavoir is, and maybe grow up a little.

Ed

Sedan looks like a merge between a Corolla and a Focus sedan. Gack!

There are few cars that grow on me from "ugly" to "acceptable", after the first impression, and even then, they aren't ever in my list of gorgeous car designs.

This is one that I am not thinking is going to grow much on me. I don't care that much for myself, as I don't want an impreza. I do care for the general health of Subaru as a company, and it's continued existence, because someday they might build something desireable again.

But this design shakes even that hope...

News reports saying that Subaru is furious about the leak of these photos before their big suprise at NYIAS... I dunno... How much worse would it be to have a giant collective GASP of horror all at once, on the stage, in front of all the Subaru big-wigs?

but, honestly, what do they expect? car designs get leaked more and more frequently, and there is an entire internet news community that salivates for it. Perhaps myself included in that community. I like to know about things as soon as possible, just to know...

but being upset about the leak and the busted suprise is a bit of mis-directed emotion. What about their feelings about a big new release that is getting nearly universally PANNED. THAT is the part that sucks.

And if they are that upset about it, maybe next time, they will pay attention to what people want to buy, rather than what designers want to design, or crib from other designs. A businessman who complains about customers being customers is an out-of-businessman. A businessman who caters to what customers want to buy, gets their money.

We are almost no better with all the stupid squabbling between the 05,06,07 models, like the differences are that significant. maybe we should use this 08 Impreza debacle to just focus on how petty, shallow and stupid our behavoir is, and maybe grow up a little.

Ed

Far-be-it from me to stand in the way of self improvement, and personal quest for a better discourse. Please seek that by all means.

But I read that thread about the various 05-08 Legacy models, and didn't take it too seriously. It seems pretty tongue in cheek to me, and well within the context of everyone agreeing that the Legacy is a great car, turbo or not. If it is not taken lightly by certain members, then that is unfortunate for that member.

But I do not think that Subaru coming out with a dubious product offering should reflect badly on people responding, who on first impression don't like it. As Huey Lewis said, "Sometimes Bad is Bad." I am not convinced that people should apologize for expressing an honest reaction. If it does promote more thoughtful discussion, I am all for that.

Ok i've had time to recover a little. I actually am beginning to like the sedan. The hood scoop is completely out of place on it, that should have been redesigned, but if you think the uproar is great now can you imagine what it would have been like if they had redesigned the scoop, or worse got rid of it :eek:?!!! But it definitely should have been changed to match the new design, maybe lower and wider?

Good thing they came out with a sedan here because that ugly hatchback would have killed sales.

The Tribecaesque interior is about the only thing they got 100% right.

A businessman who complains about customers being customers is an out-of-businessman. A businessman who caters to what customers want to buy, gets their money.

:lol: Sounds like some vendors I've heard of. ;):hide::lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

And if they are that upset about it, maybe next time, they will pay attention to what people want to buy, rather than what designers want to design, or crib from other designs.

In this case I think they looked too much at what is selling for other car companies and created a love child...particuarly from their Korean and Mazda counterparts.

Nothing orginal about this design...

I agree. I think it is a classic case of greener-grass syndrome.

Subaru wants a larger slice of Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, and other generic-mobile sales. That grass is greener.

So they abandon the performance enthusiast, and the import tuner crowd, which put Impreza sales on the map when the WRX was finally introduced in the US. THAT is what the people wanted, at least the people who are posting all over the place about how poor this new car is being received.

What other threads on Autoblog, and other internet news outlets are getting the kind of comment traffic, and the kind of SPEED of comment traffic that this story has been getting.

Before the WRX, and even before the 2.5RS, the impreza was pretty much an also-ran in the econobox category in the US. It has never done more than nip at Corolla's heels, in the economy-car category.

I guess they really want that position back.

after looking thru all the links and reading SubieSport's PR article...it has potential just very bland.

Can't wait to see it in person...it has potential. The sedan moreso. I was hoping the hatch would be more like the WRX wagon and its resemblance to the others is just killing it...

This is a great feature here! No hacking required on the nav screen for a little X360 action...

http://www.drivingsportsvideo.com/subiesport/08sedan_audiojack.jpg

Before the WRX, and even before the 2.5RS, the impreza was pretty much an also-ran in the econobox category in the US. It has never done more than nip at Corolla's heels, in the economy-car category.

I dont know if it was ever supposed to compete with the Corolla. Corolla has always been slow and fuel efficient family starter cars where the first Imprezas were slow, but appealed to generation Xers. I could see SOA making alot of money if they produced a small, fuel efficient, AWD car, but not the Impreza please.

http://cwimg.sv.publicus.com/files/specials/2007_ny/subaru/wrx/08.jpg

http://cwimg.sv.publicus.com/files/specials/2007_ny/subaru/wrx/07.jpg

It is a damn Corolla. This pisses me. This summer, when pictures were floating around it seemed like there was so much potential. And what we get is a hackneyed design that only a mother could love.

Yeah maybe they are looking for more sales so they go with what the general public wants.....imagine if they did that to the legacy...making it all happy looking in front and GMish looking in the back....its already enough that it non suby drivers confuse it for a camry sometimes.

While I'm not sold on the complete car, I really like the hoodscoop treatment on this new WRX - it's definitely more LGT-ish, but the hard edges below/in front of the scoop make it look a lot more aggressive.

On the other hand, I think the chances of convincing my GF to go in a Subie direction for her next car just went way down...she had an '01 Lancer a couple years back that she loved, but I'd just about convinced her that a WRX would be just the thing for her next car. All I can say is that the Lancer Ralliart had better be pretty ugly for her to not go for it over this new WRX...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Archived