The "unofficial" leaked Motor Trend 2008 Impreza pics

SWP-LegacyGT

Torque is now at 2800rpm instead of 3600rpm

10% better fuel economy

15.0:1 steering ratio from the STI instead of 16.5:1

3.7" longer wheelbase

unequal-length control arm replaces multilink in the back

hatch everywhere in the world, but NA gets a sedan as well

WRX is the only one that gets clear rear lenses, the Impreza and sedan variants have red (time for a swap)

framed windows

2" wider interior space

optional nav with 7" screen (with connection in the center armrest for AV hookups, including video that only works when the parking brake is engaged)

WRX gauges sweep to max and back again like the STI, and are red

17" wheels, 10 spoke (no mention of rubber) on the WRX, 16" on base model

Single exhaust on the hatch, dual on the sedan

Stolen from Nasioc

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
okay, to fuel the fire even more, here's the jdm toyota caldina. why is it everytime a subaru gets a redesign, toyota is implicitely linked? that caldina, by the way, is 4 years old.

caldinas are awesome cars, only if they came in a manual. i had a chance to drive on in Japan last year. toyota needs something like that in the US! :wub:

Well guys, enjoy your 2005-2007's... it looks like Subaru is heading steadfastly into a dark age for the next few years... Pity, I thought the new Impreza STI might have a chance at replacing my Leggy when the time comes...
now rocking the 2007 Mini Cooper S

Alright after a day of mulling on it, its not that bad. The side profile is hot and quite honestly, the back is not too shabby either...

However comma, the interior in the picture looks somewhat low rent, and the front end grille, oh dear. Hopefully the real car is wider than it looks in the picture because then I think it will look good (oh and by the way, the grille looks like a camry).

Shame about the framed windows too...but I think it'll still hold its own over the Evo

they coulda made the new impreza look just like a ferrari, and you'd all get on here and say "it looks like a stupid corvette." lol

seriously though, every new impreza has had its shortcomings in the design department. when the gc rs was first released a decade ago, it was just a corolla with a hood scoop. nobody understood why you'd pay $22K for one. now everyone wants one, again. when the bugeye hippo gd was released, well, we all know the responses that got. and now everyone is nostalgic about it and boasts the bugeye religiously. and when the '04 came out, everyone hated the big foglight delete and altezza taillights. i think "transformer" was referenced about a million times for 6 straight months. now it's the "it" STI to own because the aircraft design of the current model has really alienated people...well, about as much as each previous generation.

so to be superfluously redundant, the previous generation impreza is always better looking than the current model. subaru designs their cars, and their engines for that matter, with a subversive penchant for an underdog appeal. they MAKE you want to love them. the models are different, yet so similar to their slightly cheaper fwd econobox rivals. i remember when "camry" was the only word used for the new bl/bp legacy's design.

look at the brand new civic type r and tell me honda isn't trying to do the same thing, blending in yet over-the-top different. i don't love everything about the new impreza, but as a platform to improve off of, and to race around the track, this thing is going to lay waste to all previous models...and all rivals. and in doing so, makes the next gen. legacy all that much more better. :)

and btw it actually looks like a 9-2x had a baby with a mazdaspeed 3, with a legacy, tribeca, vibe, and an X3 as grandparents...brilliant!

+1

It's like nobody even read this....

I don't think its that bad, in fact, swap the grill and I think it looks pretty good. I like the interior (K.I.S.S.).

And like a lot of people here I was excited to see the LGT fitment turbo and top mount, that means a HUGE reduction in price for turbo's and intercoolers (if it in fact is the same fit).

Glad I got my LGT when I did.... the designs just keep getting worse and worse.

+1

Did Chris Bangle make his way into Subaru's design department WTF :confused:

Its like all the designers said, "hey im all out of ideas, why dont we take some LSD and draw some designs, gee that mazda3 looks good, throw some chrome on the front and that will do.."

Just when we were making some progress in the style department... They go and do this

I think it would look better even with the airplane grille on it.

But seriously, new design and no power increase? At least 235 hp, please!

Archived