LegacyGT.com

5EAT Rebuild by IPT

jerseyglock

trdvibe,

did you ever find out the answer to this question?

well to put it simply, i knew if i didn't have something done, the tranny was going to die. under WOT, the gears would keep slipping til they would finally catch. :( now, i put my foot on the throttle and the car actually moves. it could still move faster and quicker, but that's where PDX will now come back in to help out.

and RX3000T, the regular mode is the same, but the shifting is just cleaner and more precise. the sport mode is hella fun. :)

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, car is back together again. from the little bit of driving we did:

4. I need to tweak my tuning w/ PDX cause i'm missing a lot of ponies!

Hey trdvibe,

Thanks for the review and info! :) Quick questions:

1. What was your total downtime while waiting for the VB from IPT? Like you, my Legacy is my daily driver, so I want to make sure I don't have to rent a car for too long.

2. What did you mean by point #4 in your post (above)? Did you lose some whp because of this IPT VB upgrade?

Thanks~

1. total down time for me was 1 wk. i took the car apart on sat and couldn't get the VB to him til Tues morn. he did it same day and I had the VB back by Thurs afternoon. the next available time for me to work on the car was Sat. so you could easily have this done in about 3 or 4 days vs 7 days like me. i found the weekly rental rate however is much less than daily.

2. i have much power to gain because my tune is extremely conservative until i get the car running properly to datalog and send some info to PDX. i lost nothing w/ the VB but gained so much with it. Now, it's just getting the car to log so i can send them to PDX for tweaking. i'll be hopefully running a 93 map vs the 90 map i have now. they made it pretty soft because they weren't sure what to expect. then i started having the slipping issues w/ the gears (not wanting to shift) but the VB upgrade has resolved that issue. i can now start back where i left off and get my tuning better. i still plan to have them dyno tune the car in Portland end of May/beginning of June.

Woow...sounds impressive.

IPT is only 50-ish miles from where I live and I think maybe this will be my next mod (with tranny cooler).

Time to save more $$ and convince the wife. *sigh*

Woow...sounds impressive.

IPT is only 50-ish miles from where I live and I think maybe this will be my next mod (with tranny cooler).

Time to save more $$ and convince the wife. *sigh*

Its not that far. If I could do it, so can you. Just prepare to spend entire day there. Take the wife and go shopping while your VB being work on and road tune.

How much of a difference could one tell on a stage 2 car with upgraded VB. (worth it?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

jerseyglock,

When are you planning to hit the track? Any predictions?

How much of a difference could one tell on a stage 2 car with upgraded VB. (worth it?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

jerseyglock,

When are you planning to hit the track? Any predictions?

VTGT,

I still have some kinks needs to be work out. Will go to the track when all finish.

Really looking forward to seeing what you all do @ the track....

I might take the wagon to the local 1/8th mile during a few summer nights but no 1/4 mile track events till it cools back down. All summer track events are during the day + the track is 1.5hrs away:(:(:(

So I will have to wait to see what the SZ55 will do till Nov:(:(

Come to think about it, I never took the current setup to the 1/4.....only the 1/8th:(:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Really looking forward to seeing what you all do @ the track....

I might take the wagon to the local 1/8th mile during a few summer nights but no 1/4 mile track events till it cools back down. All summer track events are during the day + the track is 1.5hrs away:(:(:(

So I will have to wait to see what the SZ55 will do till Nov:(:(

Come to think about it, I never took the current setup to the 1/4.....only the 1/8th:(:(

get to the track now. I'd like to see some times even in warmer weather :)

well to put it simply, i knew if i didn't have something done, the tranny was going to die. under WOT, the gears would keep slipping til they would finally catch. :( now, i put my foot on the throttle and the car actually moves. it could still move faster and quicker, but that's where PDX will now come back in to help out.

and RX3000T, the regular mode is the same, but the shifting is just cleaner and more precise. the sport mode is hella fun. :)

Thanks trdvibe :)

you have really talked me into sending my VB half the world over to get it done very soon! :lol:

hopefully i can find a spare VB so that downtime is minimised as shipping will take forever.

well, you'll be lucky to find those! LOL they are not cheap. i looked into that as well since i can get parts at cost. :( but still more than the actual VB upgrade itself, so i figured $300 for a car rental is still cheaper!

Was checking out their web site and came across this :

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/news.shtml

IPT Performance Transmissions announces the new A/T Boost Controller

(scroll to 2nd item)

it seems to be specific for mitsubishi application, but if it can be fitted onto our 5EAT, i just can help but think of the endless hours of fun and kickass driving! :lol:

i'm sick today. was hoping to work on the car a bit, but doesn't look like that's going to happen. i dont' really romp on the car usually, so when i do go out for most of my daily driving, it's pretty tame. i dont' need to draw any more unwanted attention from the cops. it seems pretty smooth, the shift from 1-2 can be a bit rough still. as in you feel it, but it's not a slow lagged feeling like it used to. other than that, it just shifts. feels like a manual on the shifting. i tried the manual shift and though it still has the delay, it's not so sloppy now.

Hybrid22L has one in his LGT after rebuild by IPT.

I was going to get one, but I passed on it. I don't think anyone has one on a 5 eat yet. I have heard this has been done on the 4eat. If I was closer to IPT, I would have them install one.

well after one week, i'm still impressed. definitely better than stock, though could be better (like lightning quick shifts, but that would be an MT). car is running great and i have a K&N intake and TGV Deletes scheduled hopefully to go in next Monday if all goes well. Got PDX doing a temp map for me until Jarrad comes up first weekend in May to do a quick road tune, then will be making my way down over Memorial weekend to his shop so he can finish her up on the dyno. sure, for just a VF39 swap it seems extreme, but when you're so remote up here without a dyno or a tuner nearby, I have to take advantage while i can. :)

so if you are on the fence with the VB mod, just do it. well worth the money. and I know, after I add up all costs for shipping, rental car, etc, i'm about $1100 total. i envy you guys there that can just drive to/from in a day.

Archived