LegacyGT.com

5EAT Rebuild by IPT

jerseyglock

The shagginwagon is at the Subaru shop in Roanoke, VA as has been there since last Friday. They told me originally that the transmission harness needed to be replaced because it was wired back together using butt crimpers. So, they replaced it hoping the issue would be taken care of. Well, I got a call from the Service Manager saying it was still having issues shifting into 4th and5th. It is fine from 1st-3rd gear, but it absolutely will not shift into 4th or 5th. I am not sure what the hell I am going to do. I am sorta stuck at the moment down here at my parents house. They told me they wouldn't know anything more until Monday when the lead mechanic got back to work. I am pretty much shit outta luck for now.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I don't have enough data yet to post a review thread, I have to say my experience with IPT/John has been top notch. Every step happened precisely the way it should have. There were no surprises or disappointments. John did what he said he would do when he said he would do it.

I shipped my 5EAT on a Tuesday, picked up by the trucker at 4PM. John called me Wednesday, like he said he would, when it arrived around 1PM. Due to my circumstances John processed my rebuild and shipped the finished 5EAT with the rebuilt torque converter only 7 working days later, 11 walking days for me :), and I received it two weeks to the day from when I shipped it.

During this time I spoke with John a few times about various things and he always finished by advising me how things were going, answering my unspoken question. John has always represented the perfect professional in my opinion. What some consider vagueness from him is an assumption by him, I believe, that if you are dealing with IPT you should understand some facts that relate to the nature of the business. Someone with no experience with such things, expecting him to cater to total ignorance and to fill in basic understanding is unrealistic.

I do have experience with racing an automatic, with building one, and with built torque converters. The conversations with John covered my expectations. I did all my research and recounted such to John, whose responses matched each point professionally to my satisfaction. No one is perfect. But IPT to my knowledge covers what they should cover.

Once installed the IPT product quieted the anxiety I had had in the face of all the multiple uncertainties people raised in threads such as this one. My faith in IPT and in John in particular is justified, at least for now. I am a pragmatist and always prepared for Murphy, but from the few, less than twenty EASY, miles I have driven the car I am one happy person :).

The transmission has to be driven a while so that the TCU, and the car, can learn the characteristis of its new major organ. Driven as I've driven it since Wednesday it is incredibly smooth, a surprise after all the preliminary reading. Slight increases in throttle reveal crisp upshifts. I can't wait until I can hammer it again.

John said he had "tried something different" on my rebuild. He installs not only upgraded clutches but machines as necessary so that additional clutches can be added to clutch packs. In mine he said he did that to even more clutch packs, assuring it would handle whatever I gave it. (Apparently there are several more clutch assemblies in a 5EAT than I suspected.)

When I am able to examine the limits of my performance envelope I will be better prepared to speak about the IPT transmission and TC. But given the perfection of this process with John/IPT as well as the results I see thus far I am uncharacteristically optimistic about it.

In mine he said he did that to even more clutch packs, assuring it would handle whatever I gave it. (Apparently there are several more clutch assemblies in a 5EAT than I suspected.)

That is a little vague I wish he could tell you how much power the IPT transmission can handle reliably? I am hoping it would be good for north of 500 whp.

But I guess no one knows. Boon seems to be happy with his, and I know he is making a lot of power :icon_lol:

I just wish there were some other options. Makes me wonder what all the 5eat: G35 and 350z racers are doing......

Knowing first hand what trauma it is, personally and financially, to have problems with your 5EAT, I sympathize with hutru01.

When I was debating options, having a trusted mechanic rebuild my tranny and having IPT do the VB would have been cheaper. It also seemed like I would have divided responsibilities and compromised reliability. So I chose the only route I saw that would give me maximum reward for the money, a lot of money in any case. So I placed my 5EAT in John/IPT's hands.

While I got the car back last Wednesday, I have been following John's advice and had been driving it easily. Today I drove it hard.

Shifts are quick and positive without harshness. Every aspect of its operation is like it was new, only sharper now. When it shifts under full throttle at 6990-7050 the shift is made without 'sliding' another 150rpm. A slight solid thump when it downshifts into first at a stop is the most noticeable difference from stock when driven easily. When upshifts occur the rpms drop instantly, no matter how easily or hard it's driven.

But despite having a fully rebuilt and furnace brazed high-stall torque converter I find it to feel even 'tighter' than the old one did, perhaps because I'd given it so much hell :). On the two 0-60 runs I logged I discovered I won't be brake torqueing this one higher than 2500.... I'll break things for sure. Both runs were 4.50sec, one at 2500 and one at 2900. But over 2500 and the 380 wants to tear the wheels loose or break things trying. I'll let my imagination work on high stall times and be satisfied with 4.5s for now.

That's it. Unless something develops that doesn't have a hint of evidence now this is worth the money, time, and effort I spent having IPT do the work.

Knowing first hand what trauma it is, personally and financially, to have problems with your 5EAT, I sympathize with hutru01.

When I was debating options, having a trusted mechanic rebuild my tranny and having IPT do the VB would have been cheaper. It also seemed like I would have divided responsibilities and compromised reliability. So I chose the only route I saw that would give me maximum reward for the money, a lot of money in any case. So I placed my 5EAT in John/IPT's hands.

While I got the car back last Wednesday, I have been following John's advice and had been driving it easily. Today I drove it hard.

Shifts are quick and positive without harshness. Every aspect of its operation is like it was new, only sharper now. When it shifts under full throttle at 6990-7050 the shift is made without 'sliding' another 150rpm. A slight solid thump when it downshifts into first at a stop is the most noticeable difference from stock when driven easily. When upshifts occur the rpms drop instantly, no matter how easily or hard it's driven.

But despite having a fully rebuilt and furnace brazed high-stall torque converter I find it to feel even 'tighter' than the old one did, perhaps because I'd given it so much hell :). On the two 0-60 runs I logged I discovered I won't be brake torqueing this one higher than 2500.... I'll break things for sure. Both runs were 4.50sec, one at 2500 and one at 2900. But over 2500 and the 380 wants to tear the wheels loose or break things trying. I'll let my imagination work on high stall times and be satisfied with 4.5s for now.

That's it. Unless something develops that doesn't have a hint of evidence now this is worth the money, time, and effort I spent having IPT do the work.

can you pm me the cost of the tranny? mine may be toast. i am waiting for subaru to cal me with the verdict.

I have decided that I am going to have Subaru drop the tranny out and I will be shipping it to IPT this week. I am not sure how much it will cost to have it fixed the way it should be, but I feel confident that IPT knows what they are doing. Subaru told me I need a new tranny when this car just had a rebuilt tranny installed last summer. I spoke to John from IPT today and let him know that I will be shipping it very soon. My thoughts are that you have to pay to play. By the experience that Jeff (Seeeya) is having, I feel very good about my decision to due the IPT full upgrade as opposed to just a body valve modification (which the tranny already has anyhow). The following is what is done to the 4EAT and 5EAT Subaru transmissions:

Taken from their website. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaruauto.shtml#main

• Valve bodies are calibrated to provide firm, positive shifts
  • Extra forward, reverse and high clutches are installed
  • Modified OEM solenoid assembly is installed
  • Lube system is redesigned to prevent geartrain failure and to increase lube flow
  • Large apply area factory servo is installed to provide maximum band holding capacity (where applicable)
  • New one-way clutches/sprags are installed
  • High volume pump slide spring is installed (where applicable)
  • Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping
  • Planetary pinion pins are welded to eliminate pin "walk-out"

I have decided that I am going to have Subaru drop the tranny out and I will be shipping it to IPT this week. I am not sure how much it will cost to have it fixed the way it should be, but I feel confident that IPT knows what they are doing. Subaru told me I need a new tranny when this car just had a rebuilt tranny installed last summer. I spoke to John from IPT today and let him know that I will be shipping it very soon. My thoughts are that you have to pay to play. By the experience that Jeff (Seeeya) is having, I feel very good about my decision to due the IPT full upgrade as opposed to just a body valve modification (which the tranny already has anyhow). The following is what is done to the 4EAT and 5EAT Subaru transmissions:

Taken from their website. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaruauto.shtml#main

• Valve bodies are calibrated to provide firm, positive shifts
  • Extra forward, reverse and high clutches are installed
  • Modified OEM solenoid assembly is installed
  • Lube system is redesigned to prevent geartrain failure and to increase lube flow
  • Large apply area factory servo is installed to provide maximum band holding capacity (where applicable)
  • New one-way clutches/sprags are installed
  • High volume pump slide spring is installed (where applicable)
  • Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping
  • Planetary pinion pins are welded to eliminate pin "walk-out"

I would have to agree with you. the turbo on that bad boy may be just too powerful for the VB upgrade itself. So far, so good on mine. but then again, I'm not pushing the car hard much anymore, especially since I'm selling it. I don't want it to blow up on me or him too soon. Granted, he's got a 5MT tranny waiting to drop in later down the road, but we're still hoping for LATER down the road vs soon.

Keep us updated!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Update:

Jack Smith from FreightQuote.com helped me out tremendously in setting up the shipment of my transmission. He is a really nice guy and made me feel a lot better about this whole situation. They are picking up the transmission from Subaru on Friday and having it shipped via 1 day shipping through Pitt Ohio Express. It should be at IPT's door on either Monday or Tuesday. From then, it will be up to IPT to do the rebuild. I feel confident putting my trust in John's hands due to the fact they specialize in building performance automatic transmissions. Jeff (aka SeeeeeYa) has nothing but good things to say about his experience with them. John is very thorough and should be guiding me through the whole process as far as what all they will be doing. More to come.....

Update:

Jack Smith from FreightQuote.com helped me out tremendously in setting up the shipment of my transmission. He is a really nice guy and made me feel a lot better about this whole situation. They are picking up the transmission from Subaru on Friday and having it shipped via 1 day shipping through Pitt Ohio Express. It should be at IPT's door on either Monday or Tuesday. From then, it will be up to IPT to do the rebuild. I feel confident putting my trust in John's hands due to the fact they specialize in building performance automatic transmissions. Jeff (aka SeeeeeYa) has nothing but good things to say about his experience with them. John is very thorough and should be guiding me through the whole process as far as what all they will be doing. More to come.....

it seems i will doing the same :mad:

i dont wanna start anything against IPT, however.... my friend/dealer/tuner had an 05 wrx 4eat come in last week with a noisey tranny. they went for a raod test and the tranny blew during the road test. the tranny was built at IPT and cost $5k. no warranty was ginen on the tranny from IPT. now i am a bit concerned as to my dilema

I really think that IPT should offer a more comprehensive warranty, or at least offer parts at a discounts if something breaks down the road.

Does anyone know of any 350z or g35 drag cars with a fully built race transmission? That could help us.

Archived