LegacyGT.com

5EAT Rebuild by IPT

jerseyglock

i dont wanna start anything against IPT, however.... my friend/dealer/tuner had an 05 wrx 4eat come in last week with a noisey tranny. they went for a raod test and the tranny blew during the road test. the tranny was built at IPT and cost $5k. no warranty was ginen on the tranny from IPT. now i am a bit concerned as to my dilema

I understand the frustration without having a warranty. The transmission in my car was rebuilt and had a IPT body valve installed back last summer. (when acooper owned the car). The IPT body valve voided the warranty.

But, in response to your friend with the WRX 4EAT.....

1.) What turbo was he running? If it was a bigger turbo, then that doesn't surprise me....which leads me into my next question below.

2.) Did he break in the transmission before going WOT? If not, that is why it would have blown on a road test. The TCU has to learn the car and its shifting before you go flooring it.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hammerhead - Any more info? mileage, whp, tracked, driving style, was it maintained, cooler etc. I didn't think any tranny was indestructible if totally beat on. I'm not sticking up for IPT or looking to start an argument. I just think it's important to get the whole story before passing judgment.

$5k for any mechanical work w/ NO warranty is a fawkin crime.

IPT should be ashamed of that business practice.

Hope everyone gets their woes sorted out w/ a positive outcome.

I don't know where you come up with this, BUT it is somewhat out of place here. People don't need this kind of negative GOSSIP.

After reading this post, and knowing it was .... what it is, BS, I called John/IPT and asked him bluntly something I had not previously, having taken for granted that a business of this stature could be trusted. Asked what was my warranty John replied, "twelve months or twelve thousand miles.... unless it is a racing application which most are not." Even better than I had assumed.

So, before you go spouting off about a business, about situations that are not your own, to people already traumatized...... CHECK YOUR FACTS.

I understand the frustration without having a warranty. The transmission in my car was rebuilt and had a IPT body valve installed back last summer. (when acooper owned the car). The IPT body valve voided the warranty.

1.) What turbo was he running? If it was a bigger turbo, then that doesn't surprise me....which leads me into my next question below.

2.) Did he break in the transmission before going WOT? If not, that is why it would have blown on a road test. The TCU has to learn the car and its shifting before you go flooring it.

Absolutely! The only thing IPT advised me to do, because these 5EATs are electronically controlled, was to drive it for a few hundred miles normally before I got into it. They can build the mechanical parts, but Subaru's electronics still run it.

Hammerhead - Any more info? mileage, whp, tracked, driving style, was it maintained, cooler etc. I didn't think any tranny was indestructible if totally beat on. I'm not sticking up for IPT or looking to start an argument. I just think it's important to get the whole story before passing judgment.

they owner of the car is not my friend. the owner of the dealership id my friend. the owner of the car brought the car to Metric Subaru because of tranny noise. the tranny shit the bed on the road test. the owner of the dealership called IPT on behalf of the car owner. IPT said that the tranny was a race built tranny which comes with no warranty. that's the story i was told by the person who talked to IPT first hand. i have researched IPT a lot, mostly on dsm sites. IPT has gotten good reviews from the dsm crowd. all i know is i have to shell out $6k to some one for a tranny. i wanna be sure i make the right choice.

Why would the IPT VB void the warranty if the transmission was rebuilt by IPT? That seems a little bogus considering the IPT VB upgrade is usually included in the full rebuild....

Why would the IPT VB void the warranty if the transmission was rebuilt by IPT? That seems a little bogus considering the IPT VB upgrade is usually included in the full rebuild....

Post #254:

They only modified the body valve. A small shop in VA installed the tranny rebuild

:spin:

they owner of the car is not my friend. the owner of the dealership id my friend. the owner of the car brought the car to Metric Subaru because of tranny noise. the tranny shit the bed on the road test. the owner of the dealership called IPT on behalf of the car owner. IPT said that the tranny was a race built tranny which comes with no warranty. that's the story i was told by the person who talked to IPT first hand. i have researched IPT a lot, mostly on dsm sites. IPT has gotten good reviews from the dsm crowd. all i know is i have to shell out $6k to some one for a tranny. i wanna be sure i make the right choice.

No secrets here. This is what IPT told me and what I posted previously. It is also no different from anyone else. It would be utterly stupid to build a race-specific ANYTHING and warranty it.

If someone wants a quality performance rebuilt 5EAT with a great warranty from people who have a great reputation as well as great customer service, then IPT can help you.

If someone wants a race built transmission from people who have a great reputation as well as great customer service, then IPT can help you.

But..... anyone in their right mind knows you do not get a warranty on racing application products beyond the initial taking of posession of it. In my life I have paid BIG bucks for race built parts, including engine, transmission, torque converter, rear ends, etc. all of which eventually succumed to the track. Guess how many got replaced under warranty :lol:.

The body valve was modified by IPT first, then it was installed with a rebuilt transmission by a small shop in Fredericksburg. The fact the body valve was modified voids the warranty of the transmission through Subaru or any other transmission shop. I personally think that is where the problem started. I don't think something was installed right when it was done by the small shop in Fredericksburg. Thats just my opinion I suppose.

The body valve was modified by IPT first, then it was installed with a rebuilt transmission by a small shop in Fredericksburg. The fact the body valve was modified voids the warranty of the transmission through Subaru or any other transmission shop. I personally think that is where the problem started. I don't think something was installed right when it was done by the small shop in Fredericksburg. Thats just my opinion I suppose.

What all was included in the rebuild by the small shop in fredrick? It may not have been the install but the break-in of the new tranny...

the shaggin wagon needs to be in good condition next time I see you so I can get a ride!

When I was debating whether to go IPT or go Subaru I checked both's record. What I found out about Subaru rebuilt transmissions appalled me. Someone with over twenty years experience as a Subaru tech recounted times when it took two or three to get one that worked right. And since a new one from Subaru cost more than getting mine rebuilt by IPT.... well, the decision wasn't hard to make.

This same experienced mechanic has rebuilt hundreds of automatic transmissions. It involves more than stuffing parts into them, like making sure clutches are soaked for at least a day in ATF BEFORE they are installed. A rebuilt's quality is not subject to the same QC as Subaru OEM.

Furthering the make-it-or-break-it of an automatic transmission, or loosely ANY mechanical assy IMO, you should drive it gently for a while then slowly ramp up your inputs. Subaru 5EATs are increadibly complex electromechanical wonders. While mechanical integrity is paramount, the TCU is the brain that along with various sensor inputs combine with a synergistic dance with the ECU to output the final performance envelope. You cannot rely on parts alone, you have to become part of the equation with your own behavior.

What all was included in the rebuild by the small shop in fredrick? It may not have been the install but the break-in of the new tranny...

the shaggin wagon needs to be in good condition next time I see you so I can get a ride!

It was just a typical 5EAT tranny rebuild with IPT body valve installed. But I really suspect the shop in Fredericksburg, VA didn't install something correctly.

I would still have no problem sending my 5EAT to IPT to have it fully rebuilt. Even being this far away. Since I am no longer keeping the car long, that option will go to the new owner, but he's planning to swap it with a 5MT should the tranny (when i should say) finally goes out.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Update: I spoke to Ty at IPT today. My tranny arrived around 2 PM this afternoon. They have begun to open up my transmission and see if there are any noticeable problems. They will be doing the IPT rebuild over the course of the next week or so. I think they mentioned that it takes about 5-7 days to rebuild it. I feel a lot better with the tranny in their hands as opposed to the Subaru dealership. I will keep you guys updated.

Interesting news....I spoke to Ty again at IPT. John opened up my tranny yesterday. According to John and Ty, the "rebuilt" tranny was absolutely not a rebuilt tranny and was at best "used". I know acooper took it to a shop in Fredericksburg and they were supposed to put a rebuilt tranny with the IPT body valve. He has the invoice to prove it. I am thinking that his shop's "source" for rebuilt tranny's sent them a used tranny instead of a rebuilt one. Nonetheless, the outcome of this whole situation is about to become very interesting.

The full IPT rebuild + torque converter comes to $5200. Ouch, is all I can say, but at least I will have a transmission that will hold the horsepower and torque that the SZ55 turbo/FMIC pushes. Ty from IPT told me the difference was going to be night and day how the tranny performed. I trust him and IPT based on some others experiences with the full rebuild.

More to come.......Stay tuned

Interesting news....I spoke to Ty again at IPT. John opened up my tranny yesterday. According to John and Ty, the "rebuilt" tranny was absolutely not a rebuilt tranny and was at best "used". I know acooper took it to a shop in Fredericksburg and they were supposed to put a rebuilt tranny with the IPT body valve. He has the invoice to prove it. I am thinking that his shop's "source" for rebuilt tranny's sent them a used tranny instead of a rebuilt one. Nonetheless, the outcome of this whole situation is about to become very interesting.

The full IPT rebuild + torque converter comes to $5200. Ouch, is all I can say, but at least I will have a transmission that will hold the horsepower and torque that the SZ55 turbo/FMIC pushes. Ty from IPT told me the difference was going to be night and day how the tranny performed. I trust him and IPT based on some others experiences with the full rebuild.

More to come.......Stay tuned

oh wow! :eek:

Great that IPT will be getting you squared away. Bad that the other shop is either shady or the "hook up" for the rebuilt tranny was. Did they at least install the IPT VB??

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

The rebuild is about 2-3 days away from being done. I put down $2500 on the tab today, so I owe the rest. Thank god for tax refunds and bonus checks. LOL

I spoke to John, they were finishing up the new torque converter and then they are going to put it back together over weekend. I can't say enough about the customer service at IPT. Extremely nice guys up there and I look forward to getting the tranny back and installed.

Archived