LegacyGT.com

5EAT Rebuild by IPT

jerseyglock

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, wish i'd known about that before i dropped 5g's on one of their transmissions... really i was initially looking at IPT, but i found a sweet deal on a 01' forester transmission fully built by Level 10. It belonged to a guy who was gonna slap it in this 800hp wrx, but the project fell through so he sold the trans to another guy who couldn't fit the thing in his WRX, and he sold it to me for $1600 never used. So i couldn't pass that up, i called level 10 they said it would fit so i bought it. I brought it to them they told me it was different but they'd make it work.

After a few days, they call me and tell me they couldn't make it work so they just did a full stage 3 rebuild on my original transmission, gave me a $2300 credit for the trans i had bought off nasioc, then directly charged me the difference in price. (Note: they just did this, they didn't ask me first) So i went along with it cause they gave me $2300 for it which is more then i probly could've gotten for it, but if i had a choice i would've gone with IPT, and now i'm beginning to worry and wish i had...

That was a sweet deal on the trans. What you can do is send the valve body to IPT to make sure everything is ok with it. Everything else that Level 10 does is ok, except for their valve body. i really woudn't worry about it too much. What is your stall speed?

wow, wish i'd known about that before i dropped 5g's on one of their transmissions... really i was initially looking at IPT, but i found a sweet deal on a 01' forester transmission fully built by Level 10. It belonged to a guy who was gonna slap it in this 800hp wrx, but the project fell through so he sold the trans to another guy who couldn't fit the thing in his WRX, and he sold it to me for $1600 never used. So i couldn't pass that up, i called level 10 they said it would fit so i bought it. I brought it to them they told me it was different but they'd make it work.

After a few days, they call me and tell me they couldn't make it work so they just did a full stage 3 rebuild on my original transmission, gave me a $2300 credit for the trans i had bought off nasioc, then directly charged me the difference in price. (Note: they just did this, they didn't ask me first) So i went along with it cause they gave me $2300 for it which is more then i probly could've gotten for it, but if i had a choice i would've gone with IPT, and now i'm beginning to worry and wish i had...

i'm using the defi blue racer series. make sur eit goes up to 3oo degrees. Once it's past 220, then you better back off the tranny. it's going to start breaking at that point. harman actually just taped the drain plug on the tranny and installed the temperature sender their.

So was this dedicated tranny temp gauge made by defi, or just an oil gauge that went up to 300 degrees? Also is everything included with the guage that you need?

I know defi is pretty expensive anything else cheaper out there.

it's an oil temp gauge rigged up as a temp gauge. You do have to buy some additional parts. i believe subaru sells a part thet replaces the tranny drain plug and it has a opening that you can screw in the sender. i don;t know the part number because harman did the work.

So was this dedicated tranny temp gauge made by defi, or just an oil gauge that went up to 300 degrees? Also is everything included with the guage that you need?

That was a sweet deal on the trans. What you can do is send the valve body to IPT to make sure everything is ok with it. Everything else that Level 10 does is ok, except for their valve body. i really woudn't worry about it too much. What is your stall speed?

My Stall is set at a loose 3500, which is nice. I took your advice and searched nasioc and i see what you mean about the problems people had with lvl 10, so i called up IPT to get some input on what to do about my situation. I talked to the jon that's nick named "ty" and he basically told me that there's no point bringin it to them to get any work now, because i could get lucky and not have any problems, so i'll see what happens. So far except for a minor leak, that i had to take it back to them twice for before it got fixed, the trans has been nice. Shifts pretty nicely and the stall converter is a blast...

Level 10 warrentied the transmission for 6 months, so i guess if i have any issues before the 6 months are up i'm gonna keep goin back to level 10 for free repairs, but if i have any problems after those 6 months i'm goin straight to ITP to have the damage asessed. So i've got my fingers crossed i'm struggling to live in order to pay off a time-bomb of a transmission...

Wow... this is quite a thread! I had my "AT OIL TEMP" light go on a couple times at the track day last Sat, so I'm definately thinking about getting that transmission cooler.

Anybody know at what temperature the AT temp light comes on?

Also, my "vacation pix" don't seem to have a section on the 5EAT. Is it missing or what?? In the "transmission and driveshafts" folder all I have is

Clutch

Differentials

Driveshafts

Manual Trans & Differential

Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)

WTF???

My Stall is set at a loose 3500, which is nice. I took your advice and searched nasioc and i see what you mean about the problems people had with lvl 10, so i called up IPT to get some input on what to do about my situation. I talked to the jon that's nick named "ty" and he basically told me that there's no point bringin it to them to get any work now, because i could get lucky and not have any problems, so i'll see what happens. So far except for a minor leak, that i had to take it back to them twice for before it got fixed, the trans has been nice. Shifts pretty nicely and the stall converter is a blast...

Level 10 warrentied the transmission for 6 months, so i guess if i have any issues before the 6 months are up i'm gonna keep goin back to level 10 for free repairs, but if i have any problems after those 6 months i'm goin straight to ITP to have the damage asessed. So i've got my fingers crossed i'm struggling to live in order to pay off a time-bomb of a transmission...

you know stock stall according to subaru is between 3100-3500, right?

Well... :redface:

It came on once at the end of the fourth session, I pulled in and let it cool down and then it came on again at the end of the fifth... It was only on for a minute or so each time.

It's not like I could just skip the last session or something! :rolleyes:

Yes, I used prosport. I tapped in to the line where the rubber meets the metal on the driver side underneath. I used a T fitting there.

you know stock stall according to subaru is between 3100-3500, right?

That's false, at least on the forester, cause i couldn't power brake the car over 2100 - 2200 before i had the trans upgrade

That's false, at least on the forester, cause i couldn't power brake the car over 2100 - 2200 before i had the trans upgrade

first off, they have a completely different trans.

second off, I'm quoting the FSM for the legacy, and unless you know more about the 5EAT then subaru does, I think I'll stick with what the FSM says.

when did I ever mention a forester?

edit: changed quote location.

Baby your car. Your trans might be on the way to being toast. If the light goes off, i bet you hit above 250. Above 220 and your trans starts to fail.

Wow... this is quite a thread! I had my "AT OIL TEMP" light go on a couple times at the track day last Sat, so I'm definately thinking about getting that transmission cooler.

Anybody know at what temperature the AT temp light comes on?

Also, my "vacation pix" don't seem to have a section on the 5EAT. Is it missing or what?? In the "transmission and driveshafts" folder all I have is

Clutch

Differentials

Driveshafts

Manual Trans & Differential

Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)

WTF???

Baby your car. Your trans might be on the way to being toast. If the light goes off, i bet you hit above 250. Above 220 and your trans starts to fail.

Guys, its not like his trans is going to fall out the bottom of his car now. Yes, the light is a bad sign but those temps don't instantly kill tranny's and subaru set it a certain temp to *warn* you that its not good. That wanring light doesn't mean you need to turn around and pick your tranny up off the ground. Higher temps break down the seals faster and increase wear and tear, but he'll still be fine for a while yet.:lol:

first off, they have a completely different trans.

second off, I'm quoting the FSM for the legacy, and unless you know more about the 5EAT then subaru does, I think I'll stick with what the FSM says.

when did I ever mention a forester?

edit: changed quote location.

Hey man don't get upset, you posted in direct response to my info on my transmission, and you gave me facts about a legacy not a forester, and nowhere in my post did i say i had a legacy so i assumed you were trying to tell me the forester had a 3500 stall. And i said that that was false for the forester so relax i thought you were talkin about my forester not a legacy, had you specified that the Legacy had a stall of 3500 i would've said "oh really, i wish i had gotten a legacy in the first place then".

Hey man don't get pissed off, you posted in direct response to my info on my transmission, and you gave me facts about a legacy not a forester, and nowhere in my post did i say i had a legacy so i assumed you were trying to tell me the forester had a 3500 stall. And i said that that was false for the forester so relax".

:whore:

Hey man don't get upset, you posted in direct response to my info on my transmission, and you gave me facts about a legacy not a forester, and nowhere in my post did i say i had a legacy so i assumed you were trying to tell me the forester had a 3500 stall. And i said that that was false for the forester so relax i thought you were talkin about my forester not a legacy, had you specified that the Legacy had a stall of 3500 i would've said "oh really, i wish i had gotten a legacy in the first place then".

why would you think I was referring to anything other then a legacy when I am posting on a legacy specific forum? :confused:

why would you think I was referring to anything other then a legacy when I am posting on a legacy specific forum? :confused:

Idk i figured we're all Subaru fans so it wouldn't be that big a deal if i talked about my forester. Also the way you worded the post i actually thought you were referring to all Subaru's, that's why i said i disagreed, at least about the forester. But it was a miscommunication, and it happens, and I'm sorry if i came off sounding like a douche in the first place. Hey at least I'm not in the legacy forums posting about an S4 or something :lol:

it's an oil temp gauge rigged up as a temp gauge. You do have to buy some additional parts. i believe subaru sells a part thet replaces the tranny drain plug and it has a opening that you can screw in the sender. i don;t know the part number because harman did the work.

Does anyone know the part #? It sounds like all you have to do is screw the sender into the new drain plug and screw the plug back in. Is it really that easy?

What about tapping into the line exiting a tranny cooler?

Archived