LegacyGT.com

5EAT Rebuild by IPT

jerseyglock

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take extreme care of installing your VB back into there. Don't bend or break any contact points.

oh i'm sure my techs will be very careful. They work on subie engines and trannies all day. But I have to do this after hours, no customers, then I can get the car up in the air to get this done. too bad this weekend i've got to man the booth for the custom bike show. :( so i can't really work on my car.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I tapped into the line coming from the tranny going to the cooler. Of course the factory cooler, not the auxilary one I installed.

So I should be able to use everything that comes with an oil temp gauge right? I wouldn't have to buy anything extra?

I needed to buy a t fitting. Any good parts store can help you out. Prosport recommended tapping into the tranny pan. NO THANKS.

You can mount the sender in the tranny drain plug :)

Part number courtesy of Ian, from Harman :)

P/# 11024AA210

well, car is back together again. from the little bit of driving we did:

1. Car runs so much smoother

2. Gearing and shifting are more precise and clean and quick. should have been how the car came!

3. My car now PULLS and HAULS ASS!

4. I need to tweak my tuning w/ PDX cause i'm missing a lot of ponies!

was it worth it? hell yes! now the car pulls in lower gears like it did before. and this on a very conservative tune, didn't even put the torco maps on the car yet. i'll do that tomorrow after i fill her up. get some data logging to send to PDX and hopefully before the end of the week, i'll be a happier camper. hope to get it to the track when it opens to see how she does before i go down to PDX for the dyno tuning. i want to see the difference.

So, all in all, if you are going to mod your 5EAT, make sure you do this FIRST. especially since we had to take off the STI intercooler to get to the tranny fluid for the flush. well worth it and then you will actually ENJOY your mods vs hating them and complaining about why your car sucks. :(

well, car is back together again. from the little bit of driving we did:

1. Car runs so much smoother

2. Gearing and shifting are more precise and clean and quick. should have been how the car came!

3. My car now PULLS and HAULS ASS!

4. I need to tweak my tuning w/ PDX cause i'm missing a lot of ponies!

was it worth it? hell yes! now the car pulls in lower gears like it did before. and this on a very conservative tune, didn't even put the torco maps on the car yet. i'll do that tomorrow after i fill her up. get some data logging to send to PDX and hopefully before the end of the week, i'll be a happier camper. hope to get it to the track when it opens to see how she does before i go down to PDX for the dyno tuning. i want to see the difference.

So, all in all, if you are going to mod your 5EAT, make sure you do this FIRST. especially since we had to take off the STI intercooler to get to the tranny fluid for the flush. well worth it and then you will actually ENJOY your mods vs hating them and complaining about why your car sucks. :(

Nice. get to the track soon! :)

Trdvibe,

From what John said, your clutch packs still looks good. Due to fluid didn't smell that bad. :lol: I need a nose job :)

My VB adjustment didn't go too well. LGT is idle like sh** again. Reload TDC's realtime map and there is miss fire or leak somewhere. :(

LordJim,

Be prepare to spend entire day there. Take your wife or girl friend and go shopping in area, entire day. :lol:

My VB adjustment didn't go too well. LGT is idle like sh** again. Reload TDC's realtime map and there is miss fire or leak somewhere.
I'm confused . . . Are the VB adjustment and the misfire or leak somehow related?

Be prepare to spend entire day there. Take your wife or girl friend and go shopping in area, entire day.

Yeah, unfortunately it'll just be me and good book. :/

-

Jim

LOL, do I look like Subaru tech to you. :)

For some reason, car ran like crap after battery was disconnected. John did this because he got a CEL / cruise.

I told John that when CEL came on, first it will kill is cruise.

well, thanks again for your guy's input. otherwise, i'd have returned the car back to stock and kept bitching about it. :lol: i can only imagine what IPT's rebuilt race trannies are like for our 5EATs! He definitely sold me on their work and service! :)

I understand our stock TC is considered high stall at about 3500rpm, so with the VB mod by IPT, is there a necessity to change to the TC that they also offer?

Will there be a lost of drivibility in terms of laid back driving? (jerky shifts). i'm very interested in the VB mod but worried about normal road use as it's my DD.

i drive 30-50 miles daily. all city. so far, the 2 days i've driven the car, the shifting is precise and clean, not slow and sluggish. for daily driving, it seems like it's a manual, more of a shift and it's done. you know how the shifting (lower gears especially) is really slow, hesitates and then it kinda clunks into gear? you don't have that anymore. it just shifts. that's it. as for the TC, i don't know. i really am impressed with the difference b/w the stock VB and the upgraded IPT VB's. I never realized what people were talking about until this whole problem came up. now it all makes sense.

My husband has made me promise that i do more research before i do any more mods: TGV Deletes, K&N intake, possible DP later down the road. all in all, the TB upgrade is just worth it in every aspect. my car feels like a car again! and that makes me happy!

3500 stall speed stock? I guess TC lockup happens in 3rd, 4th, and 5th, just to keep decent gas mileage? I haven't had an auto tranny in awhile but that sounds extremely high for stall speed for a stock auto. How the overall mileage #'s stay so close to a stick car baffles me. (High stall speeds are horribly inefficent) I guess they have lots of new tech in the auto tranny's now...

yeah, the stock stall according to the 07 FSM is between 3100 and 3500rpms.

which IS pretty high.

3500 stall speed stock? I guess TC lockup happens in 3rd, 4th, and 5th, just to keep decent gas mileage? I haven't had an auto tranny in awhile but that sounds extremely high for stall speed for a stock auto. How the overall mileage #'s stay so close to a stick car baffles me. (High stall speeds are horribly inefficent) I guess they have lots of new tech in the auto tranny's now...

i drive 30-50 miles daily. all city. so far, the 2 days i've driven the car, the shifting is precise and clean, not slow and sluggish. for daily driving, it seems like it's a manual, more of a shift and it's done. you know how the shifting (lower gears especially) is really slow, hesitates and then it kinda clunks into gear? you don't have that anymore. it just shifts. that's it. as for the TC, i don't know. i really am impressed with the difference b/w the stock VB and the upgraded IPT VB's. I never realized what people were talking about until this whole problem came up. now it all makes sense.

My husband has made me promise that i do more research before i do any more mods: TGV Deletes, K&N intake, possible DP later down the road. all in all, the TB upgrade is just worth it in every aspect. my car feels like a car again! and that makes me happy!

sorry for the many questions, but did u have to specify your current hp and torque figures when u sent in the VB for upgrade so that IPT could spec it to ya car or is it a generic upgrade?

is it safe to assume now the 'drive' mode is like (or better) than the pre-upgraded 'sports' mode and sports mode is now much quicker and more precise in terms of shifting?

Thanks,

RX300T

jim1969,

Upgrading VB is actually good for clutch pack. More fluids to where is needed. Your 5EAT last longer with firm shifting.

Just called IPT. Ty (John) agreed with what you said. He said the valvebody upgrade will actually strenghen the tranny.

Archived