LegacyGT.com

Silly thing i just noticed about my car (could be the silly thing i noticed thread)

IIRC mine is limited to a few MPH less than 90 (according to the speedo), but it might be 90. Either way the limit is too low.

The kinetic energy is too great to left to an unconscious and blind system. For one thing, the closing speeds are scary quick.

Why don't you guys start a CC thread?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The kinetic energy is too great to left to an unconscious and blind system. For one thing, the closing speeds are scary quick.

Why don't you guys start a CC thread?

there is probably already a few lol. The closeing speeds are not that bad, however 20 over a typically speed limit is lol.

I love my car ... basically.

Closing speeds on same-direction traffic may only be so much, but much higher on oncoming traffic.

Closing speed on a 55mph road, with oncoming traffic is of course, 110mph.

Increase one to 90mph, and that goes to 145. Both going 90, and of course that is getting up to 180mph. And don't think that a median will really prevent that kind of contact, if things go wrong at that sort of speed.

Clip someone oncoming at that speed, and hopefully neither party will ever know it, or at least not for more than a second or two. Because if you survive, you're going to be in VERY bad shape.

Closing speeds on same-direction traffic may only be so much, but much higher on oncoming traffic.

Closing speed on a 55mph road, with oncoming traffic is of course, 110mph.

Increase one to 90mph, and that goes to 145. Both going 90, and of course that is getting up to 180mph. And don't think that a median will really prevent that kind of contact, if things go wrong at that sort of speed.

Clip someone oncoming at that speed, and hopefully neither party will ever know it, or at least not for more than a second or two. Because if you survive, you're going to be in VERY bad shape.

which is why god invented double guard rails and wide center strips lol.

I love my car ... basically.

I just noticed that the luminescent ring around the fuel gauge blinked when the low fuel warning light came on.

I just wanted to add: that will blink 5 times when there are 10 liters left (2.64 US gallon / 2.2 Imp gallon)

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Oh yea, and remember when you turn the car on, and the outer dials glow red and the gauges reset? Well you can turn that off by putting the car in the "ACC" mode (the click before ignition) and then hitting the trip odometer a few times to bring up the 1/5 settings. Hold the trip stick to toggle 1 and/or 5 off/on.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Are we sure about the no warning for burned out bulbs? Some cars will do funny things to warn you, like if a turn signal is burned out the dash signal will blink twice as fast, the brights indicator will stay on of a headlight is burned out, or the parking break light will flash if a tail light is out.

I just wanted to add: that will blink 5 times when there are 10 liters left (2.64 US gallon / 2.2 Imp gallon)

That adds up as the NAV will give me a low fuel warning and normally indicate "70 miles until empty" and my recent mpg has been ~27. Fill ups are just 13.6 to just shy of 14 gallons after driving a while before tanking up and I think the manual says max capacity is 16 gallons.

For some reason, it feels good to have redundant fuel warning systems in an AWD car.:icon_cool

Well the twice as fast thing is just how the car is wired. I know every car pretty much blinks twice as fast if one bulb is out because of the change in the power circuit.

The flasher module flashes fast if it does not have the designed load to push(ie. a burned out bulb). This is why you need to run a heavy duty or LED compatible flasher module if you change your incandescent bulbs to LED bulbs, or install a load resistor in each circuit, to compensate for the reduced power draw of the LED bulbs.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

What do the fuel warning systems have anything to do with the car being AWD? That's like sayin "It's good I got power mirrors and fold down rear seats."

AWD (at least real ones like Subies) cars can get farther off the beaten track. It's no biggie but I like the redundancy just in case the the fuel warning bulb is burnt out and gas gauge needle gets stuck while I'm on that logging road. :icon_bigg

Things I find annoying and quirky about my LGT after 4k miles:

When I'm driving slowly in 2nd gear (like in traffic) there is an annoying rubbing sound that comes from the vibrating folds of the vinyl shifter boot.

Yep, had that. The rubber boot and the leather boot rub together for some reason and make an audible sound.

Couple of ways to fix this.

Get some felt.

Unscrew the shift knob, then remove the center console. Cut the felt into a shape that will become conical and put this into the leather shift boot. Reassemble and the noise is gone.

Second way to fix this, order a set of NICE leather boots from www.redlinegoods.com and install those. This leather is rubber friendly and doesn't create a rubbing noise.

The other way is to drop in a Tool CD and turn up the dB. Then the door will vibrate but you won't hear the shift boot anymore.

Be well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

wow i just noticed today, in the sedan, that when the sunroof is opened all the way back, a little piece of plastic pops up and kinda deflects the wind over the open hole. i was wondering why the sunroof was so quiet when i had it open, i thought it was just the great aerodynamics of the car.

i realized this when i opened the sunroof to vent some of the the hot air and the stepped out of the car to look at my tires. i had turned the heater on to full blast while in the blocks for my next run to try to cool the underhood temps. i got some wierd looks while standing there playing with the springy plastic thing

DRL's are just another way to keep people from having to be responsible for their own actions.

I disabled mine because I would drive around at night without turning the real headlights on, and that made me feel unsafe....

now, i know damn well that this thread doesn't need some dumbass like me hijacking it again, but i had to point out this flawed argument.

subi makes this claim about DRLs and then almost immediately admits to failing repeatedly in the responsibility of turning on the headlights proper. faulty logic, no? (please don't take this as a personal attack. i'm sure the argument is not solely your own, but probably belongs to many people.)

also, for my 2 cents, i really appreciate cars that have DRLs, especially when trying to pass cars on a 2-lane highway in overcast weather, when the cars down the road start blending in with the background, making distance estimating difficult. when they have lights on, it makes a drastic difference in the ability to see the oncoming traffic.

anyway, a silly thing that i found out about my car is that when accelerating somewhat hard from a stop, the cds that i have in the pocket below the radio will eject themselves and crash all over my shifter/hand as i reach to shift and end up pissing me off. i really ought to stop putting cds there, or at least put some of that grippy mesh stuff in the bottom of the pocket.

I appreciate the little recession in the center console to allow a phone charger cord to pass thru, and still have the armrest close. Nice touch!

Yes, but I wish at least one of the power points would stay on when the key is off. It appears even the one in back shuts off with the key. Our Honda and Nissan each have two in the front, one of which stays on all the time.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Yes, but I wish at least one of the power points would stay on when the key is off. It appears even the one in back shuts off with the key. Our Honda and Nissan each have two in the front, one of which stays on all the time.

Ditto. In my SUV, I leave my sirius S50 on all night, so in the morning, I can just turn on the receiver in my bedroom and pick up the FM transmitter signal.

now, i know damn well that this thread doesn't need some dumbass like me hijacking it again, but i had to point out this flawed argument.

subi makes this claim about DRLs and then almost immediately admits to failing repeatedly in the responsibility of turning on the headlights proper. faulty logic, no? (please don't take this as a personal attack. i'm sure the argument is not solely your own, but probably belongs to many people.)

also, for my 2 cents, i really appreciate cars that have DRLs, especially when trying to pass cars on a 2-lane highway in overcast weather, when the cars down the road start blending in with the background, making distance estimating difficult. when they have lights on, it makes a drastic difference in the ability to see the oncoming traffic.

anyway, a silly thing that i found out about my car is that when accelerating somewhat hard from a stop, the cds that i have in the pocket below the radio will eject themselves and crash all over my shifter/hand as i reach to shift and end up pissing me off. i really ought to stop putting cds there, or at least put some of that grippy mesh stuff in the bottom of the pocket.

Supposedly DRLs reduce accidents by 30%. Safe it's what makes a Subaru a Subaru. God damn we need a new ad campaign!

Archived