LegacyGT.com

Silly thing i just noticed about my car (could be the silly thing i noticed thread)

I forgot to strike this thread while it was hot but I just reminded myself today when I did some routine maintenance.

Did you know that from empty the windshield washer fluid tank will hold exactly 4 litres aka your standard gallon jug of washer fluid, fills exactly to the full line too. I searched the thread and didn't find anything that mentioned this. Hopefully not a repost in this thread. Might have been mentioned in other threads though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Limp mode, or limp-home mode allows the driver to get the car home in the event of problems with the engine without causing more damage.

I noticed that the flaps of carpet in front of the power seats are velcro'd down.

Same on the manual seats too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnAWD

I'm disappointed that I can't set the cruise control over 90 mph.

makes sense though.

I don't think it makes sense at all. I understand that they don't want us goin faster than that, but I don't see it being up to them. Why make the car fast and not less us use it? Not too long ago I was on my way to see my now ex-gf down in Bloomington, I noted when I got on and when I got off of 465, goin around Indianapolis, I averaged 110 mph. If I woulda been able to set my cruise higher than that, I woulda been able to shave some time off my trip, and it woulda been way more fun.

It's just like the new G6 hardtop. It won't operate under 14 degrees. Why? Cuz GM says it shouldn't.

I dont think the idea necessarily is that they dont want you going fast. They want you to pay attention when you are going that fast and the cruise control might allow one to feel relaxed when they shouldnt be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnAWD

I'm disappointed that I can't set the cruise control over 90 mph.

I don't think it makes sense at all. I understand that they don't want us goin faster than that, but I don't see it being up to them. Why make the car fast and not less us use it? Not too long ago I was on my way to see my now ex-gf down in Bloomington, I noted when I got on and when I got off of 465, goin around Indianapolis, I averaged 110 mph. If I woulda been able to set my cruise higher than that, I woulda been able to shave some time off my trip, and it woulda been way more fun.

110mph is 30mph faster than the highest speed limit legal anywhere in the US and 40mph faster than the highest speed limit in Indiana. I don't know why Subaru made the arbitrary decision of where to set the cruise control speed limit, but I'd imagine that they did it to head off the lawsuits that would undoubtedly arise when you get in an accident while cruising at 110mph.

It's just like the new G6 hardtop. It won't operate under 14 degrees. Why? Cuz GM says it shouldn't.

:icon_conf Maybe there are operational considerations - the mechanisms that raise/lower the top don't function well below 14 degrees?

Most car makers have a redline for RPMs too - why should you stop revving your engine at only 7000RPMs just because the car company says? :rolleyes:

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I understand the legal obligations of a large company, small company, anything like that. I'm very well aware of the speed limits in my state and within the country, I just choose not to observe them all the time. Are you telling me that when you're drivin to work everyday, and that sign says 35, you don't go 40, 45 maybe? All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be up to them how fast we can make our cars maintain speed. They know that 99% of these cars will never be on roads with a speed limit over 80, so why even let the cars go over 80mph, why not have the cruise stop us at 80mph?

:icon_conf Maybe there are operational considerations - the mechanisms that raise/lower the top don't function well below 14 degrees?

Most car makers have a redline for RPMs too - why should you stop revving your engine at only 7000RPMs just because the car company says? :rolleyes:

There are no operational obstacles, GM just says you shouldn't do it. We have redlines because spinning your engines faster than that will cause severe damage, I know that very well.

I remember an old teacher of mine telling me his wife took in her Durango and complained to the dealer that it wouldn't let her set the cruise control over 90. She bitched so much that the dealer finally took it off secretly.

And yea, the cruise control limit is most likely there to protect them from lawsuits. Some of those Interstates shouldn't have 70 MPH speed limits, especially at 4 in the morning when there isn't another car to be seen.

the rear wiper on the wagon is speed sensitive. The Slower the speed, the slower the intermitten span, as you speed up, the span gets shorter.

Shouldn't it get slower as speed increases???

If you look at the rear window, rain doesn't say on at high speeds... it's almost clear. It's when you slow down that it's hard to see out of...

Strange!!

"Insert Signature Here"

Some of those Interstates shouldn't have 70 MPH speed limits, especially at 4 in the morning when there isn't another car to be seen.

In the pitch black of 4am, there should definitely be a speed limit. 70mph is probably near the limit of over-driving some high-beam headlights, anyway.

And cars are not the only obstacles in the roadway. Imagine hitting a moderate to large animal at high speed. you wouldn't see it coming very well at 80+ mph.

Not trying to be a stodge, but in the dark of night is not the time to speed like crazy. An empty highway during the daytime in good weather, maybe... but law enforcement is such not to allow that.

(they frown enough on 5-8mph over, then falsely claim 15-20 over, and then wrote me for 10 over. Twice in three months. :mad: )

I prefer driving at night with a GOOD set of driving lights(i.e. Hella 4000 driving lights, or similar) because moving objects such as deer stand out much better than they do during the day. I will actually drive faster at night on back roads than I will during the day. Also less likely for a tractor to pull out at midnight than 2 in the afternoon. ;)

Ary

I prefer driving at night with a GOOD set of driving lights(i.e. Hella 4000 driving lights, or similar) because moving objects such as deer stand out much better than they do during the day. I will actually drive faster at night on back roads than I will during the day. Also less likely for a tractor to pull out at midnight than 2 in the afternoon. ;)

Ary

They may stand out more than they do during the day, (with driving lights) but there are also a lot more of them...

It's a/an ________ (insert your animal here) conspiracy.... They come out at night to block the highways and destroy cars. They step onto the road, see your lights, and Freeze...

I smacked a doe, (female deer for those that don't know) late at night.. she weighed in at about 100lbs. I was driving an Opel Manta sports coupe. Total Loss... (though I did keep the deer)

Plus there could be people walking... and though they might see you coming, they may not know your trying to set the World Land Speed Record... Or that your also trying to launch your car into orbit..;)

Let's see, for me, silly things I've noticed.....

rear seat head rests.... they go up... they go down... they go up.... they go down... they go up.... they go down.... they go up.... :eek: "they came off..":eek:;) (never had a car that had moveable head rests in the back)

Annoying thing I've noticed.....

Every time you get in the car the cd player resets the random feature to non/random....:mad: And the ac power points (inside armrest/and cigerette lighter) turn off when car is turned off...

I have Two Garmin GPS units, one a streetpilot, the other the Etrex Legend C (it came with my Segway HT) and when the car is turned off, they lose power and shut off.... (you can set them to stay on, but they then run on double a battery's) So even if your just going into the post office, or you've stopped at a rest area for a few minutes. You have to turn on and let the GPS find the satelites... just a little annoying.:icon_conf

'seriousely though, please don't drive by my house doing a buck and change...... for one, a gust of wind off the beach and your airborn. Two, the military police here might shoot you thinking your a low flying unidentified aircraft....'

And let's not talk about a bird strike at altitude....

Can you imagine hitting a 50lb pelican in flight....

you'd have feathers everywhere, it'd go right through your windshield.. And last I checked they didn't rate car windshield for bird strikes.... (of course no one expected us to try and fly our cars... yet here we are)

If we could just figure out a way to use AWD while airborne to help with directional stability.... There's nothing like turning your wheels and having the car continue straight to make sphincter pucker.... ;)

wow, howd I miss this thread for 5 pages?

I found out a short time after breakin that this car can perform magic. Using only 4 cylinders, it can process gas into exhaust like a vehicle with twice the cylinders if it tries hard to do so :p my lowst mpg has been in the 15s after breakin.

I also found that going in and out of manumatic mode a lot makes you grab the shifter and throw it into neutral when trying to go to 2nd when its actually NOT in manumatic mode, talking about embarassing!

also.. the radio likes to control itself occasionally, volume going up and down 1 level on its own (everyones probablly had that) and I am anticipating the IL# "error" lol so I'll know it when it comes.

hrmm, what else? oh yea, I dont have the dexterity to disable the seatbelt chime myself, it drives me crazy. I get a friend to do it every time the battery is reset, but I imagine hes getting tired of it.

if you have the moonroof, you can pop it up in the rear like / turn off the a/c and it will blow air through the vents anyway. if your temp before turning the car off was warm it will blow hot air, if it was below it will blow vent air. If you close the moonroof it seems to stop. you can customize the a/c system even after its off through wher the air comes from and where it blows out of. its like its always watching you

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

In the pitch black of 4am, there should definitely be a speed limit. 70mph is probably near the limit of over-driving some high-beam headlights, anyway.

This is off-topic, but you can't make a blanket statement like that. Depends on the road. I was driving 130 mph on Autobahn and it's perfectly safe at night especially if the road is lit and there are fences everywhere so no animal can get on the roadway.

why do they call it GT when grand tour normaly means extra package like what the spec- b would have

Spec-B GT... Where did you find that Avatar pic... That is funny.
somewhere off the internet by browesing around.

ohh I got a really good one. Why didnt I realized that the rear seats didnt fold down, untill about 2 weeks after I bought it.

This is off-topic, but you can't make a blanket statement like that. Depends on the road. I was driving 130 mph on Autobahn and it's perfectly safe at night especially if the road is lit and there are fences everywhere so no animal can get on the roadway.

Oh... sorry. I forgot to take into account roads in OTHER COUNTRIES.

Especially extremely controlled, and well lit ones (which is not at all what I was talking about) by far, most roads are not lit, and are not fenced, and are not suitable for 130mph in the daytime, let alone in the dark.

Not only that, but the Autobahn is regulated speed at night and in bad weather, no? Maybe a high limit... but IIRC, it isn't completely free-for-all at all times.

So chiding me for not accounting for every infinitessimal possibility is hardly appropriate with an example that is FAR from the norm.

People drive really fast on well lit race tracks at night, too, some without headlights on the cars AT ALL. Neither situation approaches the point.

The statement stands. In the pitch black of 4am, there should be a speed limit. (Unless you are on the moon, in a leap year that ends in an odd number. How's about that caveat?)

Something silly I noticed about Legacys before I even own one... They don't have the same lights as locomotives, to be able to see THAT far at night. Although I do hear the high-beams are pretty good.

Oh... sorry. I forgot to take into account roads in OTHER COUNTRIES.

Not only that, but the Autobahn is regulated speed at night and in bad weather, no? Maybe a high limit... but IIRC, it isn't completely free-for-all at all times.

So chiding me for not accounting for every infinitessimal possibility is hardly appropriate with an example that is FAR from the norm.

Relax. This forum is US-centric, but officialy it's not and we have some of people from around world posting here. So assuming that everything discussed here revolves around the US, is pretty supercilious and ignorant at the same time.

And, no, there is no night speed limit on unlimited portions of Autobahn. There is just "suggested" 130 km/h limit, night and day.

Archived