LegacyGT.com

Silly thing i just noticed about my car (could be the silly thing i noticed thread)

Why would you want to disable the DRL? Forewarned is forarmed. Any additional heads up you can give to other drivers is a good thing. It's why aircraft use landing lights during daylight hours.

people disable the DRL because the gauges are bright at night and the DRL's are bright at night. So you drive around with no tailights at night and don't even know it because your gauges are lit and your headlights are on!! My old car had DRL's and I never disabled them because it also had a sensor to know when it was dark and automaticly turned on the headlights and running lights. Why doesn't the LGT have auto headlights??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would you want to disable the DRL? Forewarned is forarmed. Any additional heads up you can give to other drivers is a good thing. It's why aircraft use landing lights during daylight hours.

Why not? Personally I dont like it..just me. Plenty of vehicles out there w/out DRL

.....headlamp bulbs burning out:icon_cool .......

RTFM.. but i'll be nice since you're a noob

The defrost button on your center console controls your rear defrost and your heated mirrors, the button by the display brightness control to the left of your steering wheel is the button for the windshield heater. Be careful with it, some people have had issues with cracked windishields. Although I personally havent had any issues using it all last winter.

If you do a search on windshield + crack + winter you'll find some various experiences to that effect

thanks, i never noticed it actually till i hand washed my car, sorry my car is missing the owners manual.

DRL's run at a lower wattage than when you switch them to "on"

If you install HID's you can burn up the ballasts if a proper 12-14V power isn't supplied.

That's probably the BEST reason why a lot of people do it...

"Insert Signature Here"

Well if you want, you can do what I do during the winter when most days its overcast I just leave the lights turned ON all the time since as soon as you shut off the ignition the lights shut off.

And I just dont like DRL .. very canadian :p :P :p

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

And I just dont like DRL .. very canadian :p :P :p

Rather weak reasoning. I was talking to an old guy one day who complained about all these Canadians driving with their brights on when he was on his way to Florida. He said they bothered him because he could see them from so far away. I thought, "Good."

Remember, their function is to alert others to your presence.

Shouldn't other people be aware if a 1 ton piece of metal moving at high speeds if they are driving? And if they aren't aware of your car, you clearly just don't have the correct exhaust installed :)

Plus, aren't you supposed to honk at every other driver onthe road so they know you're there? And then they acknowledge you with a middle finger, right?

DRL's are just another way to keep people from having to be responsible for their own actions.

I can remember when CHMSL's were new. People thought they were just the greatest things; increase vehicle visibility, reduce the amount of rear-enders, etc. What they really did, at first, was to keep people back a little. Why? Because prior to CHMSL the only cars with red lights above the tail lights were cops. Nobody wants to rear end a cop. Now, we just ignore them like any other thing that is ALWAYS there.

Do they still have traffic accidents in Canada? Do people still pull out in front of motorcycles? Do we still see alot of rear end collisions?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I disabled mine because I would drive around at night without turning the real headlights on, and that made me feel unsafe. I'm just lucky that I had my CHMSL, someone might have rear ended me;)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Shouldn't other people be aware if a 1 ton piece of metal moving at high speeds if they are driving?

They should but the chick on her cell phone pulling out of the Taco Bell hasn't a clue. Maybe the DRL might catch her attention 1 out of 10 times. 10% is a significant number.

DRL's are just another way to keep people from having to be responsible for their own actions.

:icon_conf That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? Tailights work at night and the same principle applies to DRL.

I can remember when CHMSL's were new.

I'm old enough too and I thought that they did increase vehicle visibility and signaled its change in velocity. In fact, I get much better gas milage because of them. I watch brakelights like crazy in rush hour. If I can see five cars ahead and that car's CHMSL is lit then I don't chase the car in front of me because I know I'm just going to be stepping on the brakes soon anyway. That way I save gas and gear changes. It would probably drive you, Subi, crazy to drive behind me in rush hour: Just tooling along in low rpm 2 or 3 gear as I time the stops because I can also see when the CHMSLs go off. You'd find a chance to pass me and I would still be the car right behind you except it cost you extra $ to gain 50 feet of freeway.

It's all about using and communicating the available information and DRL, CHMSL, turn signals, tailights, running lights, etc. are all about.

Do they still have traffic accidents in Canada? Do people still pull out in front of motorcycles? Do we still see alot of rear end collisions?
Yes, yes, and yes.

Probably less, less and less statistically YOY. The insurance co.s and OEMs don't do this stuff if it's a waste of time.

I disabled mine because I would drive around at night without turning the real headlights on, and that made me feel unsafe. I'm just lucky that I had my CHMSL, someone might have rear ended me;)

I was in a BWM Bavarian years and years ago one night following a car that rear ended an umarked frontend loader that did have headlights but no tailights. I was in the front passenger seat watching the road when all of a sudden the car we were following started bouncing up and down like a pnuematic ghetto ride as it bounced on the treads of the loader's big tires. Conditions were clear and dry and it was only the great driving of my buddy and that agile BMW that we were able to avoid piling in. This was long before ABS and my buddy slammed on the breaks but we were sliding straight into the wreck. He quickly let off the brakes and did a classic avoidance. The Bimmer did great. We stopped to see if the people in that older car were OK. They weren't dead but they were all cut up and concussed, etc. Not serious but ruin your month type injuries. A mother and her 3 young kids. Lap belts helped the two in front but the kids in the back had quite a ride as they flew into the front. It was a pretty scary scene when I first walked up but luckily it wasn't as bad as it initially looked. The crash took place at about 50 mph with the driver able to hit the brakes for an instant and the loader was probably going 25-30. Still....

That lady wasn't responsible for the citable loader driver but his actions did have consequences.

Sorry for the ramble and the rant but safety measures are safety measures and I use them for my benefit. I want to protect myself from the irresponsibilty of others.

If you are looking around and being observant like you are supposed to,

kinda makes my point for me.

I honestly was not discounting the contribution of CHMSL or DRL to roadway safety. I was trying to make a point for each drivers personal responsibility.

But, after my weak attempt to aussage our Canadian friend, I did come up with some much needed regulatory reforms in regards to vehicular visibility. Along with CHMSL and DRL, we should have green strobe lights installed on any vehicle driven by someone; over 70, under 20, with kids, with cell phone, eating, sleeping(don't laugh, a new Lexus has a camera that looks at the drivers eyes to see if they are open), colorblind, woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or who respirates and has a heartbeat. Maybe this way we can finally eliminate the hazards of operating a motor vehicle under human control. More government IS the answer.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

What I don't understand is that people go to the effort to disable DRL's, but don't want to bother flipping the switch to turn their tail lights on at night...

Why not just leave the switch to the low-beam on all the time mode and never have to worry again?

What about my explanation?

You will burn up ballasts if you don't run proper voltage to them.

Most people dont want to drive with HID's on all day, and waste bulb life. Especially with the cost of kits.

"Insert Signature Here"

I can't remember exactly when my cruise control cut out but i though it was 85

I've been screwin around w/ it lately, and it will allow me to cruise at 90, but not any past that...oh, but you can still push up on the little lever and go as much as 100, but it just won't hold there...

So, unfortunately you are not able to blame your 100mph cruising on the cruise control...:icon_wink

I found out last night that the back windows do not roll all the way down, and that when you just open the trunk without opening a door first from the FOB as soon as you close the trunk again it chiros once to tell you that it is armed and that everything is closed. Pretty cool.

X

---

Tough choice.:lol:

This is more of a question than anything. Couple weeks ago I got a little over joyed at the thought of drivin my car, and during start up I must have tapped the good pedal and got a check engine light. In turn my car got :icon_mad: and would not operate at all. No control over throttle, to the floor 20mph WTF. Advisor said this is normal so you don't grenade your automotive perfection by continously dirving with a warning light. Anyone else find this "Fishy like Paris Hilton?"

Cruise light will also flash when check engine light is on.

Limp mode.

Archived