LegacyGT.com

poll: What oil are you using and what change interval?

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
sometimes Ill throw some marvel mystery oil in with the normal oil. I used to work in an auto parts store and have heard wonders about the marvel oil. All the mechanics says it works wonders for cars and recommend it highly

Don't do it. Stay away from oil additives. There are very few "mysteries" with oil. And marvel isn't one of them.

It was a good additive in the 60s-80s. Now, it's not needed. Just use a quality oil.

If your engine is sludging, then we'll talk.

Joe

for the Legacy, regular pennzoil and every 3750-4,000.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Back to this thread again. :)

For about the past year-and-a-half or so, I've been using "GC," the imported, German, formulation of the Castrol SYNTEC 0W30, with my preferred Purolator PurOne filter.

OCI has been 3K miles or 3 months, whichever first.

I've been lucky, overall. As I've always liked working on the car myself, I've never tripped the 4K miles limit on a change (even when I thought that 5K would've been OK) so when Subaru came out with their 3,750 mile OIC, I wasn't bothered much at all.

Since the switch over to the GC, I've been keeping religiously to my usual 3K-miles schedule (old habits die hard, my father always maintained the 3K miles, 3-months, schedule, back in the old days) - even more so because, now, in the last 2 years, my commutes have become so short, and also because, for whatever reason, my car seems to sip about a quarter to half of a quart of the GC, every 3K miles. [What amazes me is that with the GC, my oil-pressure is so consistent that I can see, via my oil-pressure gauge, a drop in idle pressure, and I'll know I'm short, just that little amount.]

I still don't know why this is the case, as with a switch back to the Mobil1 5W30, I'll literally see *no* consumption. However, at the same time, with the M1, my oil-pressures fluctuated more, too.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 year later...

Thread revival, indeed. :)

A year since my last post on this thread (#135 - dated December 5th of last year), I'm still on the 3K-miles/3-months schedule of "GC" 0W30 with Purolator PurOne filters.

My wife's '05 WRX (4EAT, completely stock) sedan has since gone off-lease (April, 2009). I turned it back in still on M1 5W30 w/Purolator filter - to that date, there was no consumption ever noted on that vehicle.

We're on our second longblock, on our '09 FXT (delivered April, 2009 - replacing my wife's outgoing WRX - REF: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2686570&postcount=166). We're barely past the 1K miles initial OCI. :lol: I'm still using dinosaur-Shell 5W30, with a Purolator filter, and still intending to go to 10K miles before switching to synthetic. :redface: Old habits die hard.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 4 weeks later...

Once I am out of warranty, I plan on doing 10,000 mile oil change intervals, but will replace the oil filter every 5k miles.

Plan on using oversize purolator filter 14610 and whatever 10w30 synthetic happens to be on sale at the FLAPS. And yes, I mix brands. 10w30 synth is 10w30 synth. Currently, just to please the warranty, I do 3-5k oci's. I capture the drained oil and give it to my buddy, who uses it as top off for his snow beater, an old International Scout. UOA's have basically proven to me that 10k oci's are not unreasonable.

• 3 weeks later...
Once I am out of warranty, I plan on doing 10,000 mile oil change intervals, but will replace the oil filter every 5k miles.

Possible newb question. Is there a valve type adapter that lets you change the oil filter without draining the oil out?

"This is an adventure."

• 2 weeks later...
I was following the factory 7500 rec but maybe not anymore.

I deal with heavy amount of stop and go traffics everyday, so..

German Castrol "GC" - 3k

Mobil 1 - 3k

Royal Purple - 3k

Soon going to Eneos (NO 1 IN JAPAN :eek:) after 2 more Royal Purple OCI, and I will never go more than 3k. :redface:

In conclusion: buy whatever oil that make you happy, and run it till it turns into solid*

Depends on sale and availability @ the time. Mobil one 0w-30 /mobil 1 5w-30 /pennzoil full syn 5w-30 and one time the shoptech full syn 5w-30 usualy with pureone pl14610 oversized. When I stop my road trips and get back to racing it will be redline again.

Archived