LegacyGT.com

poll: What oil are you using and what change interval?

Soloz2,

Based on the oil analysis testing I've done in non turbo Subaru's with the 2.5L engine, the Amsoil XL degrades about as much after 10k miles as their Signature Series oils (SSO), do after 15k miles. I've been an Amsoil user and dealer for over thirty years and I'd probably go with the SSO in a turbo application, but with a longer service interval of 5k-7.5k miles. I actually go 10k miles in my 1.8L/225 Hp Audi turbo (supported by oil analysis) and the oil holds up fine. I've tested 6-7 different Amsoil formulations in that vehicle, even products like their 0w-40 "Four Stroke" oil that aren't primarily marketed for automotive use. They all performed about the same except for small differences in oil consumption and fuel efficiency. The xw-40's had the lowest oil consumption; the xw-30's provided slightly better performance and fuel efficiency as you'd expect.

TS

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to go with sso, but wanted to keep all the recommended certs while I'm under warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Solo,

I can understand that position. I did find that the wear protection and oil consumption was the same with the XL and the Signature Series oils. I was comparing SAE 10w-30 products in those particular tests. The 10w-30, XL also did not shear down at all; it tested out at 10.8 Cst after 11,000 miles.

TS

Archived