LegacyGT.com

poll: What oil are you using and what change interval?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dino oil from purchase @ 32k miles changed w/ less than 4k oci, now Rotella 5w/40. Car really doesn't burn oil as I have never had the dip stick showing low oil since purchase, knock on wood. Car does feel a little more lively since changing to syn, oem blue filters

I do mobli 1 5w-30 on my 2003 legacy every 7500-10000 miles. Never have an issue and never loose more than half a quart over the interval. I just use an oem oil filter.

I'll see your 10000 & raise you 15000. Over 159k, oringinal motor & turbo, 15k OCI. Cobb Stage1 93Oct.16.2 psi of boost.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I use Quaker State full synth. Just did my first oil change at 3100.

I've had 3 cars that I put this in every 5k and all 3 made it to 200k with no engine trouble of any kind. They were still in great running condition when sold.

I don't know but there's something still not clear to me. Most people always mention that they change their oil every 3000, or 3750, or 4000, or 10000 or whatever miles. But what about if, let's say you set your OCI to 3750 miles and you NEVER reach it when the 4 months period comes to an end.

For instance, you change your oil on 1st Jan; and on 1st of May you only did 1700 miles or something. Would you wait UNTIL you reach 3750 miles and then change your oil? I know I read XXXX miles or X months whichever comes first but I don't seem to read that's what people are doing cause most people mostly mention that they respect their mileage interval, not the 'months interval'.

I think most members here put miles on fast enough that the time is not an issue. I have ~70k on my 05 wagon and it has never been more than 4months btwn changes for me with a 3000-3750 interval. I think I'm kinda low to average miles compared to most 05's out there, but then again, I bought my car in november 05... I recently saw a post of an 05 with like only 40k on the clock, made me envious...
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I think most members here put miles on fast enough that the time is not an issue. I have ~70k on my 05 wagon and it has never been more than 4months btwn changes for me with a 3000-3750 interval. I think I'm kinda low to average miles compared to most 05's out there, but then again, I bought my car in november 05... I recently saw a post of an 05 with like only 40k on the clock, made me envious...

I have 46000 on the clock and it's an 05 :)

If you were to do less than 2000, would you wait until you reach 3750 to change the oil?

I have 46000 on the clock and it's an 05 :)

If you were to do less than 2000, would you wait until you reach 3750 to change the oil?

For me in that case it would depend on the oil and season. If running synthetic I'd be willing to let it ride. The exception would be during winter months. In your case I'd try to time a change in the beginning of winter then at the end of real cold temps as spring comes in. Unless your in the great white north that shouldn't be to hard to figure out and stay with in the 4 month interval. But I wouldn't have a problem running the oil 6 months if the oil looks good and your not tracking the car. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with GTX going 6 months if you only got 3000 miles in comfortable temps with normal driving.

Others opinions shall vary widely. It's your car if your more comfortable changing every 4 months then your not hurting anything.

For me in that case it would depend on the oil and season. If running synthetic I'd be willing to let it ride. The exception would be during winter months. In your case I'd try to time a change in the beginning of winter then at the end of real cold temps as spring comes in. Unless your in the great white north that shouldn't be to hard to figure out and stay with in the 4 month interval. But I wouldn't have a problem running the oil 6 months if the oil looks good and your not tracking the car. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with GTX going 6 months if you only got 3000 miles in comfortable temps with normal driving.

Others opinions shall vary widely. It's your car if your more comfortable changing every 4 months then your not hurting anything.

How an oil "looks" tells you almost nothing about it's condition. By the time an oil looks "bad" (i.e. sludged, chunky, extremely dark) it is too late and the damage is done. You actually want oil to have some darkness too it, as that can mean that it is actually holding the contaminents in suspension instead of depositing them in the engine.

In a low mileage engine that has seen proper oci, you should be able to judge a comfort level of contaminants in the oil. Especially with synthetics since they are almost clear when you start. At 40k I could drain castol GTX out of my car with 3500 miles on it and it was damn near as clear as the fresh, still hard to see on the stick.

It won't tell you everything an oil analysis will by any means, but its not completely useless either. Obviously if your oil has gone "chunky, sludgy or extremely dark" you've over shot the interval.

Archived